[2000] Orc & Goblin Horde - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

[2000] Orc & Goblin Horde

All,

I steered clear of the usual war machines and the likes. I feel as thought the troops are the core of the army and will win the fight long before the artillery does anything.

Army List:

[436] Black Orc Warboss riding a Wyvern
    Great Axe, Drog's Dead 'Ard +1 Save, Sizzla's Shiny Baubles

[100] Orc Shaman
    Level 2, choppa and no magic items.

[237] 17 X Black Orcs with a Boss, Muscian and Standard.
    Extra hand weapon, choppa and heavy armor

[188] 20 X Boyz Mob with a Boss, Muscian and Standard.
    Choppa, Spear, light armor and shield

[176] Savage Orc Shaman riding a Boar.
    Level 2, Choppa, War Paint, Frenzy
    Ditto's Double Doin' and Dispell Scroll

[231] 10 X Savage Orc Boar Boyz with Muscian and Standard.
    Hand weapon, Spear, Shield, War Paint, Frenzy
    *** I'm debating these as one unit of 10 or two units of five.

[60] 1 X Goblin Wolf Chariot

[60] 5 X Goblin Wolf Riders.
    Hand weapon, spear, light armor and shield

[55] 5 X Goblin Wolf Riders.
    Hand weapon, light armor and shield

[120] Night Goblin Shaman
    Level 2, Hand weapon, Magic mushroom (free starting one) and Dispell Scroll

[108] 22 X Night Goblin Mob with a Boss, Muscian and Standard.
    Short Bow
    1 X Fanatics

[130] 22 X Night Goblin Mob with a Boss, Muscian and Standard.
    Spear and Shield
    2 X Fanatics

[95] 25 X Goblin Mob with a Boss, Muscian and Standard.
    Spear and Shield

[1999] Points.

Note 1: If I split up the Wolf Riders and Boar Riders I only have enough models for a single set of Muscians and Standards. Since they will be in one rank I doubt they will help much and I can save a few points and add Boss's to the seperate squads. That will give me TWO additional Bosses for the Battle.

Note 2: Should I put 2 Fanatics in the Short Bow Squad. I think they may draw a charge earlier.

Note 3: I have a Orc Shaman on foot that I can swap out for the Big Boss on the Boar. The more I think about it the more I'm tempted. With no war machines the 3rd Shaman will really beef up my long range fire power.

Note 4: I may not like War Machines, but I do LIKE Big Black Orc's on Wyverns! He has a 1+ save and can reflect spells back at the caster. His goal is to draw fire away from my core units and to do a small bit of 'Eadbuttin on his own!

** Edited** Amended army list: Dropped Boss on Boar, added Shaman on Foot, split wolf riders into two groups of 5 and dropped command from wolf riders.

Last edited by Romulus; July 27th, 2005 at 06:01.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your night goblin shaman can't have both mad cap mushrooms and a dispell scroll. He can only have 50 points of magic items. Dispell scrolls are 25 and mad cap are 30. Maybe go with 2 dispell scrolls. I would also consider giving your general warboss um's best big boss at for a 5+ ward save instead of the baubles. Just something to consider. If you keep the boar boyz in one unit, I think they will actually be able to take out units on the charge, but if you split them up you have 2 fantastic flanking units. The wolf riders I only like as war machine hunters or flankers so I would split them up. Hope this helps. Good Hunting my greenskin friend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Knight
    Your night goblin shaman can't have both mad cap mushrooms and a dispell scroll. He can only have 50 points of magic items. Dispell scrolls are 25 and mad cap are 30. Maybe go with 2 dispell scrolls. I would also consider giving your general warboss um's best big boss at for a 5+ ward save instead of the baubles. Just something to consider. If you keep the boar boyz in one unit, I think they will actually be able to take out units on the charge, but if you split them up you have 2 fantastic flanking units. The wolf riders I only like as war machine hunters or flankers so I would split them up. Hope this helps. Good Hunting my greenskin friend.

1. The Night Goblin gets the mushroom for Free and is not part of his magic items point cost. He is Level 2 so he only gets one use compared to the Level 3 & 4's who get the D3 uses. This is assuming I'm reading it right and Army Builder tends to agree with me as well.

2. The Baubles give me a 50% (4+) chance to defeat the spell and swing it back at the caster!! I like the idea of sending it back the casters' way.

3. I think I will split up the wolf riders into two units.

4. Any ideas on dropping the Big Boss on the Boar for a Orc Shaman on foot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4. Any ideas on dropping the Big Boss on the Boar for a Orc Shaman on foot?[/QUOTE]

what are you, crazy? :mellow:

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Romulus
    1. The Night Goblin gets the mushroom for Free and is not part of his magic items point cost. He is Level 2 so he only gets one use compared to the Level 3 & 4's who get the D3 uses. This is assuming I'm reading it right and Army Builder tends to agree with me as well.
    He thought you were taking the mad cap mushrooms which are a magic item that makes fanatics hit harder (sooooooo pretty watching them cut a swathe through the enemy). The magic mushrooms that night goblins shamans get don't do this but do how do however add 1 dice to a spell casting. And you can decide to use them after you have rolled all the other casting dice, although a 1 on the mushroom dice is an automatic miscast which is a bummer.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

I would strongly advise against putting thw Warboss on the Wyvern, your lads need is Leadership more than you need the him hacking from the back of the enemy lines.

Also, if you decide to keep him as is, I would try to give him a ward save, being on a large target, a cannonball or bolt thrower can end is rampage quite fast. missile fire might do him in too.

Don't put a frenzied shaman on a boar, he'll end up charging in tick of the battle to die to a unit champion.

I'd replace the last night goblin unit by common gobos, they do better in combat, with the light armour & shield. and have 1 more point of Ld too !

I would give either one of the shamans the Dagny Wot Knots they are just too good to not use.

you need bigger units of orcs, 25-30 is a much safer number, for psychology such as fear and panic, and keep a good frontage and ranks as long as possible.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack
    I would strongly advise against putting thw Warboss on the Wyvern, your lads need is Leadership more than you need the him hacking from the back of the enemy lines.

Also, if you decide to keep him as is, I would try to give him a ward save, being on a large target, a cannonball or bolt thrower can end is rampage quite fast. missile fire might do him in too.

Don't put a frenzied shaman on a boar, he'll end up charging in tick of the battle to die to a unit champion.

I'd replace the last night goblin unit by common gobos, they do better in combat, with the light armour & shield. and have 1 more point of Ld too !

I would give either one of the shamans the Dagny Wot Knots they are just too good to not use.

you need bigger units of orcs, 25-30 is a much safer number, for psychology such as fear and panic, and keep a good frontage and ranks as long as possible.
    I've went more to what you suggested without reading this post. After a few games against the undead, I deemed that my leadership needs to stay closer. This was discovered as I watched my army running away!! lol I've switched to a Boss on a Boar or on foot.

Since I originally wrote this my army has went through several re-evaluations. I need to redo my list up top, but here is what I'm now using.

Level 4 Orc shaman on Boar
    Level 2 N Gobbo shaman
    Level 2 Orc shaman on foot
    Boss on Boar (debating moving him to foot)

17 BO's w/ 2 hand weapons
    20 Orc's with spears
    20 NG's with bows 1 Fanatic
    20 NG's Spears 2xFanatic
    10 Savage Boars
    2x5 Wolfriders
    1 Wolf chariot

I'm limited by what I have available. Basically, this is what I have left to pull from.
    25 Basic goblins
    Boss on Wyvern
    Boss on Foot
    NG Shaman on foot
    2 more wolf riders
    2 more savage boars

I thinking of hitting ebay and trying to find more Boyz or Gobbo's already painted. The mere thought of painting a mass of units again turns my stomach! lol I did these years ago when in college and a heap more time on my hands!! Family and kids now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Let's work some Waaagh! magic here ^_^

Don't bother with a single wolf chariot, field 2 for that 1 slot, and chariots also work best in pairs, 1 on each flank, or 2 in the center!

Split your boar boyz in 2 units of 5 or 6 (you have the spare models) and upgrade one to Big Un's every orc army should have a unit of Big Un's too sweat to let pass by.

Swap the orc shaman for that nigh gobbo shaman you have, he is cheaper, and gets the shroom!

A boss on foot is more discrete, and can't be picked out for shooting, and if you put in with the boar boys for protection, these guys were already targets or shooting too!
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack
    Let's work some Waaagh! magic here ^_^

Don't bother with a single wolf chariot, field 2 for that 1 slot, and chariots also work best in pairs, 1 on each flank, or 2 in the center!

Split your boar boyz in 2 units of 5 or 6 (you have the spare models) and upgrade one to Big Un's every orc army should have a unit of Big Un's too sweat to let pass by.

Swap the orc shaman for that nigh gobbo shaman you have, he is cheaper, and gets the shroom!

A boss on foot is more discrete, and can't be picked out for shooting, and if you put in with the boar boys for protection, these guys were already targets or shooting too!
    I redid my list last night and did a few of your suggestions without realizing it.

Black Orc Boss on Foot
    Orc Shaman on foot Level 4
    2 NG Shamans Level 2's (one has the Fanatic brew and will go in NG Spears)
    17 Orc Big'uns to be led by boss.
    20 Boyz with Spearz'
    20 NG w/ Shortbows w/ 1 Fan
    20 NG w/ Spears w/ 2 Fan
    25 Gobbos w/spears and shield
    2X5 Wolf riders
    2x5 Savage Boars
    1 Gobbo Chariot

+ Reply to Thread