Fun with fanatics! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fun with fanatics!

I was looking into getting some fanatics for my army to beef up my puny gobbos. I heard some good ideas on how to use them (adding to archer's units, for example) and I was wondering how best to use these little guys to their full potential.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

you should really try to give us a little bit more info. Everyone uses different units in their army a little bit differently - sometimes very differently. But a lot of it depends on how big the army is, what the other units are and their purposes (composition and strategy) and your playstyle.

Personally in a 2250pt game, I like to have a couple of NG units (2) about 25-30guys each. I give them Nets and 1 fanatic and leave it at that. I'm still debating on whether the banner is worth it. I usually don't like to have a lot of banners in my army but with O&G you have so many units, that I usually end up with 3-5 anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As of right now, I'm playing low point games, around 1000-1500 pts. My Ngob units are 20 apiece, usually with spears + shield, and a unit of archers.

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

Fanatics are the punch of any Night Goblin army. Let's face it. They aren't going to do much damage in the conventional way.

I personally plan to max out the fanatics I can take since I just march toward units and let the fanatics loose.
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My strategie is to max out some 20 units of night gobbos and charge them at the enemy, similar to suntzu, while this is not always effective, it is almost guarenteed to be amusing, especially in close confines. ( I had an allied match once with me & lizardmen against dark elves and chaos, My fanatics took out a whole unit of allied saurus and half a unit of skinks.)
    I hear the trap with archers and fanatics can be quite successful, though you have to be wary of terrain at all times, especially if you play pesky wood elves, hidng in the forests.

So just remember to try and keep your fanatics inconspicuous. And make sure they all come out.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Fanatics are the punch of any Night Goblin army. Let's face it. They aren't going to do much damage in the conventional way.

I personally plan to max out the fanatics I can take since I just march toward units and let the fanatics loose.
    Well, that is a NG army - I was speaking of O&G in general - whose strength is cheap expendable units and cheap tough, good hitting core. They have other strengths, and actually animosity helps as much as it hurts I think, but back to fanatics.

If you load up on fanatics, that cheap unit that doesn't cause panic to your core unit (thus making a good redirecting unit and good for taking on weaker enemies with their numbers and screening) is now a really expensive unit. I think it limits the NG abilities. If you load up on Fanatics, you have a much greater chance of doing damage to yourself. 1-2, odds, are you're going to bust the enemy. With 3, there is a good chance that 2 of them won't hit your enemy when they come out, and a 50% chance that at least one of them will come back and hit you the next turn. At 20NG, it is very possible to do enough damage to still panic yourself. You're better off with around 25. If you're only playing with NG, (BFSPset), then think about getting some Orcs. They are some of the best core in the game and their characters are really good. The goblin contingent really complements the Orcs.

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by buckero0 View Post
    Well, that is a NG army - I was speaking of O&G in general - whose strength is cheap expendable units and cheap tough, good hitting core. They have other strengths, and actually animosity helps as much as it hurts I think, but back to fanatics.

If you load up on fanatics, that cheap unit that doesn't cause panic to your core unit (thus making a good redirecting unit and good for taking on weaker enemies with their numbers and screening) is now a really expensive unit. I think it limits the NG abilities. If you load up on Fanatics, you have a much greater chance of doing damage to yourself. 1-2, odds, are you're going to bust the enemy. With 3, there is a good chance that 2 of them won't hit your enemy when they come out, and a 50% chance that at least one of them will come back and hit you the next turn. At 20NG, it is very possible to do enough damage to still panic yourself. You're better off with around 25. If you're only playing with NG, (BFSPset), then think about getting some Orcs. They are some of the best core in the game and their characters are really good. The goblin contingent really complements the Orcs.
    I chose to play pure night goblins for a reason (fluff mainly) and I won't ruing the theme of the army by throwing in random orcs.

Not all of us powergame.
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

I'm a bit wary of posting this since my main opponent is, in fact, Night Goblins, but I thought this could help.

Fanatics drive me crazy. If your opponent knows that you have Fanatics, he/she'll be very careful about charging, especially if that unit is ridiculously expensive/fragile. Wood Elves, in particular, are not fans of them.

As for the forest, my opponent has devised the "Fanatic Cannon" where he engages an expensive unit in a forest. he sends the Fanatics through, so he hits himself, the expensive unit and then loses the Fanatics. Very nasty.

However, one thing to watch out for when facing Empire: The Crystal Ball. I always give my mounted Wizard that. I move forwards and he has to reveal everything, including how many Fanatics he has in each unit. That prepares me for them, and I know where they are, so they lose the all-important element of surprise.

Finally, if you've never used them before, consider them to be one-hit wonders. They charge out, do lots of damage, then die a turn or two later.

-AFG

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I chose to play pure night goblins for a reason (fluff mainly) and I won't ruing the theme of the army by throwing in random orcs.

Not all of us powergame.
    You've got to be kidding, right? Using orcs is considered powergaming ?
    It's more fluffy to use the orcs. Goblins are so random and crazy, it only makes since that some orc is going to come and herd them/enslave them to do his bidding.

Quit taking yourself so seriously ~ it's a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A cool thing comes into my mind...

Make black robes on your orcs with greenstuff, then you have something like oversized night goblins:rofl. Or give them black robes and pumpkins on their head (as some sort of helmet).

I am making a NG army and i have a black orc bigboss, i am going to convert him into one of the above to let him fit in the theme.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast