Night Goblin: noob needs help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Night Goblin: noob needs help!

After years of 40K experience, I finally decided to start playing FB too and my choice for an army has fallen onto Night Goblins.

Nope, not Orcs & Goblins... not even Goblins... NIGHT GOBLINS!

I just love the miniatures and the background so I am intentioned of fielding only nighties and anything related.

I haven't got the army book as yet (should arrive this afternoon at my local GW store), but I have a fair grasp of the basics as were told by some friends... what I need to know is: how feasible is a NGob army?

Will it be a 100% sitting duck or will I have at least a 25% chance of winning a game, once I master all the techniques that are necessary?

And furthermore... how should I build the army? I was musing on the idea of going squig-heavy, with a couple of hordes and a couple hopper units, with a nice big chunky backbone of nighties with packed with fanatics and maybe a giant and some pump wagons (just adore those things!). I remember once goblins used to rule the magicking world of FB... is it still so? So should I try and pack into with shamans as much as I can or shall I reserve some space for bosses?

And lastly: Skarnik... any good? The miniature is fantastic, would fit brilliantly in the army background, but how does he perform for you guys?

Thanx in advance for the info!!! =)

- Just love that maki! -

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

an all-goblin force would work. All night goblins is suicide. It cuts out almost the entire book for you in the way of unit choices. Not having a doom diver, wolf chariots, fast cav, squigs and other support groups, you're basically hoping that you can get your guys up to the front of the battlefield without panicing off the table to unload nets and fanatics. Which may be fun once or twice but will get old fast. Use the other support units, and just make your characters and big blocks of troops night gobbos. There are also some great magic items to get to help your troops stay on the board better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

There's nothing wrong with a Night Goblin theme, but like buckero0 said, only taking Night Goblin unit options severely limits your army. I think to make a more effective army with the Night Gobbo theme you could take all types of goblin units and convert them to look like Night Gobbos. After all, they're still goblins and if I remember correctly the only difference in stats is on the Ld and I. It would also be a good idea to take quite a few Giants, trolls and the like to provide a bit of punch.

Skarsnik seems to almost be a default choice for Night Goblin armies because he's the best way of getting a decent Ld general without resorting to taking an Orc as your general. His abilities are quite handy too, so I'd say go for it.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

You probibally misinterpreted my previous post.

Not ONLY nighties... but nightie themed.

Which means that while I don't want to use night goblin-converted wolf riders, I have in mind to field:

- Night Goblin characters
    - Night Goblins
    - Squigs
    - Squig Hoppers
    - Snots
    - Pump Wagons
    - Trolls (stone, river don't really fit in the background)
    - Giants

I know it will be an underdog, but I like the theme and I can always update it to something more competitive later on in my life! =)

So in the end my question is: any advice on how to build a competitiveish army out of the aforementioned units?
    - Just love that maki! -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Kheldar View Post
    You probibally misinterpreted my previous post.

Not ONLY nighties... but nightie themed.

Which means that while I don't want to use night goblin-converted wolf riders, I have in mind to field:

- Night Goblin characters
    - Night Goblins
    - Squigs
    - Squig Hoppers
    - Snots
    - Pump Wagons
    - Trolls (stone, river don't really fit in the background)
    - Giants

I know it will be an underdog, but I like the theme and I can always update it to something more competitive later on in my life! =)

So in the end my question is: any advice on how to build a competitiveish army out of the aforementioned units?

You'll probably want a few big units of regular night goblins. By big I mean 30 - 40, because you really need numbers. Throw in fanatics and netters and they can be surprisingly effective. Like I said before, Skarsnik makes a really good general for Night Goblin armies. For the other characters I would recommend shamans because you can get a really good magic phase for far fewer points than most other armies. Okay so there's a good chance the shamans will blow themselves up but that's all part of the fun and unpredictability of goblins.

A giant would be good because they can be really effective (especially against other monsters since a giant's attacks work differently) and even if your opponents target your giant(s) that means they're not shooting at your cowardly gobbos who could easily take a few casualties and then decide to leg it.
    Similarly, trolls can add a bit of punch but if you do take them keep them near the general since their low leadership combined with stupidity isn't a very good combination. If they're near the general there's a far better chance that they'll do what you want them to.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Thanx for the advice!

Any information on squig units? I just love the models and I'll be definitively putting a lot of them in! =)
    - Just love that maki! -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Squig units are great, really fit the theme and the amount of strength 5 attacks can kill a fair bit. They do tend to suffer alot of casultys both to shooting and if the enemy strikes in combat so they need the charge to be properly effective. I tend to use them as flank guards for my main NG combat units, combined with the ranks, banner, outnumbering and nets, a flank charge from squigs can be devestating.

If you get them into the heart of the enemy the wild squigs rule can cause some nice casultys as well.

As for the characters, most seem to prefer very magic heavy armys but I really filling those slots with combat characters but then I tend to play a more combat style army than most. It comes down to personal preference but magic heavy armys can be very effective.

Giants are great, nice models, look big and scary and add a good amount of punch to an army with can be lacking. I've never really used trolls or pump wagons but I would defintely think about taking a couple of spear chukkas, you have to be unlucky to not earn back their points.

Above all have fun and remember to laugh when your army runs away.

PAw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can still use the Gobbo Artillery just use Night gobbo models. Wolf chariot can be converted to Squig(wolves) and Night gobbo crew. because you will still be using Night gobbos but it will give you alittle more Flexibility. im doing a Gobbo swarm and if it doesnt fit your Theme you make it fit like Doom diver can be converted to a Squig Chukka. Just some Suggestions for more Flexability. Good luck! itz gud ta see anuvver Gobbo Boss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by PAw View Post
    you can still use the Gobbo Artillery just use Night gobbo models. Wolf chariot can be converted to Squig(wolves) and Night gobbo crew. because you will still be using Night gobbos but it will give you alittle more Flexibility. im doing a Gobbo swarm and if it doesnt fit your Theme you make it fit like Doom diver can be converted to a Squig Chukka. Just some Suggestions for more Flexability. Good luck! itz gud ta see anuvver Gobbo Boss
    That I know very well, but for beginners I didn't want to do any kind of conversion! =) Just to try out on my own green skin what it means to field a REAL nighties army!

Anyway I jotted down a first army list and will post it in the army section: take a look and comment away! =D
    - Just love that maki! -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi,Im on making Night gnobbo army too!!Its really cheap too,with the Skull pass box,its lot of gnobbos for less price Anyway,down to your question,the chances are not 25%,its way higher if you do things right,i ll just post my list i just made for you,just to get the idea,coming up:

[B]1 Night Goblin Warboss
    Take whatever item you like :p

1 Night goblin shaman 110 points
    dispel scroll
    lvl2 wizard

1 Night goblin shaman 110 points
    dispel scroll
    lvl2 wizard

1 night goblin Big Boss 105
    Battle standard
    Rowdy groll's banner

The BSB will be close to the General,both in different units,for max effect,his banner helps a lot with the low LD of the Night goblins,while shamans will go solo zapping around

49 night goblins(warboss goes here) 293
    spears,musician,standard,nets,2 Fanatics

39 Night Goblin(BSB here) 171
    musucian,2 fanatic

20 Ngoblin 64
    bows,musician

40 night goblin 149
    musician 1 fanatic

40 night goblin 157
    musician,standard,1 fanatic

40 night goblin 157
    musician,standard,1 fanatic

3 Night goblin herder teams 90

1 Giant 205

1 Giant 205

Points are a bit less than 2000 i think,anyway thats to get get the idea,plan is to win by outnumbering,1 night goblin unit goes along with another support unit,a giant squigs or even another unit,charging front and flank each time,1 giant can be changed to trolls and some more fanatics and so on...Another idea is to add some cheap snotling in the army,charge with them,then send your fanatics through them to the enemy,while they are stuck with the little guys i hope this helps,thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Darkman1111; January 20th, 2008 at 06:00.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast