Newbie needs help, badly! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Newbie needs help, badly!

Hi, I'm new to fantasy ork/goblins (although I've been a 40k ork player for a while), and I just purchased, very cheaply, two sets of the goblin halves of the 'skull pass' starter set.

I already know I need to get some goblin fanatics, and I have plenty of extra orks I can convert to fantasy, but is there anything else I should pick up, to round out the army?

So far I have:

6 teams of Night goblin spearmen/archers

2 teams of Night goblin spider riders

2 of the 'Melee' goblin hero, from the basic set

2 of the 'Magical' goblin hero, from the basic set (I know I can only use 3 heroes, but this gives me the option to mix and match)

Enough extra parts to make any number of fanatics, and basic orks

Is there anything else I should consider getting? A local store is having a sale, and I'd like to pick up everything I need before it ends.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orc Boar boyz and either goblin or orc chariots are an option. There is also the option of the war machines (spear chukka, rock lobba, or doom diver). Or you could go with the tough and hard hitting black orcs to help hold your goblin line together. It really just depends on what you want to do with your army. Orcs and goblins is a pretty flexible army, and can be focused to be fast and heavy hitting (calvalry, chariots, B. Orcs) or a massive swarm (tons of goblins and boyz).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Hmm...

Well, I already have plenty of spider riders, which are fairly fast, although admittedly not that tough. Some boar boys might do nice, but I'd actually be more interested in artillery.

My basic plan was to move in a good amount of numbers, but have the option to flank charging enemies, while suppressing long range fire.

Now that I think of it, those are the two problems I'm trying to deal with: long range fire, and charging enemies. Are the spiders going to be able to help much with either?

Oh! I also forgot to add to the list:

2 Trolls

Their need to pass a leadership check every round in order to be productive seems quite crippling, even if I keep them in range of a general. Will it be of any use as a frontline blocker, or support unit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    Well, I already have plenty of spider riders, which are fairly fast, although admittedly not that tough. Some boar boys might do nice, but I'd actually be more interested in artillery.

My basic plan was to move in a good amount of numbers, but have the option to flank charging enemies, while suppressing long range fire.

Now that I think of it, those are the two problems I'm trying to deal with: long range fire, and charging enemies. Are the spiders going to be able to help much with either?

Oh! I also forgot to add to the list:

2 Trolls

Their need to pass a leadership check every round in order to be productive seems quite crippling, even if I keep them in range of a general. Will it be of any use as a frontline blocker, or support unit?

Your basic plan should work, as O&G are best suited in large numbers anyway. You'll have some excellent flanking with your spider riders (use that "ignore tough terrain" to your advantage!) and they'll also be able to hide in a forest to get cover from long range fire. Some boar boyz and/or boar chariots will also be good for maneuvering out of tight situations.

To deal with the long range fire, try investing in a rock lobba, or more favorably a doom diver. the diver is also great as an assassin due to it's 3" correction.

Something else to think about - Black Orcs. Your 40K models would convert easily into black orcs, and they are absolutely brutal - I've seen a group of 4 Borcs and a Borc Warboss take down a giant in one charge. Remember, orc choppas get +1S on first round of ANY combat, and Borcs can switch weapons round to round. they have a good armor save with shields and armor, and should take some attention away from the "squishy" gobbos.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Sounds like a plan

Sounds good! I'm probably going to pick up some boar boys and either a rock lobba or doom diver, to round out the army.

Does anyone have thoughts on heroes? I have enough from the sets to fill the army, but I didn't know if there was a better option available that I should take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    Sounds good! I'm probably going to pick up some boar boys and either a rock lobba or doom diver, to round out the army.

Does anyone have thoughts on heroes? I have enough from the sets to fill the army, but I didn't know if there was a better option available that I should take.

Definitely take a black orc big boss, since putting him in a regular orc unit will trade a bad animosity check for a couple wounds (losing 2 or 3 guys is better than doing nothing IMO)

If you're going to use a magic user, I'd suggest a night goblin shaman - the little waaagh spells can be pretty nasty and night goblins in specific have access to some really nice magic items (magic mushrooms, mad cap mushrooms(if you take fanatics), pipes of doom)

+ Reply to Thread