We are the orcs! Are we? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are the orcs! Are we?

Good day fellow warhammer mates!

I'm starting to play this tabletop game truly with the forces of the orcs and my first opponent is a chaos player and with a point limit of 3500.

I'm thinking of a total clubbering of my opponent (even though unlikely). Could you give me some tips and suggestions for my army.

I have an old edition of the G&O armybook, but I have the 7th edition rulebook; don't know if that helps alot.

I haven't played for long, only a few games, but my opponent has for over 7 years now.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tip #1, do not play a 3500 point game. 1000 points is a good teaching game, 2000-2250 is the average tournament level, 3500 could be a lot of fun but between seasoned opponents who know their army front to back - with a new(er) player the game will take all day to play and the Vet is guaranteed to walk all over you.

Aside from points cost, many tactical decisions will depend on what type of chaos your opponent is playing (Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, or Tzeentch).

Army specific: Khorne and Nurgle tend to be up-in-your-face play styles. Nurgle can incorporate some magic, but either of these armies is happiest when slamming into your ranks with ded 'ard units of Warriors and Knights. The trick here is to ignore their high armor and toughness using things like Spear Chukkas, Doom Divers, Fanatics, Goblin Bombs - taking the initiative away from their Knights units by out charging them will also put the player on his heels (Boar Boyz w/the Waaagh! banner, the General, and the Waaagh! for the game) High strength is important here though to chew through his armor + toughness (not a unit I recommend at 1000pts - very expensive). Also, Khorne will kill all but the most powerful casting mustered against him (not a route I recommend trying) and Nurgle will likely bring a fair # of fear causing units to bear, so be mindful of your General and BSB - animosity disrupts our lines often enough, don't let him do it even more.

Slaanesh and Tzeentch are both more magic oriented, but each to very different ends. Tzeentch will simply try to destroy you through casting, blasting away with damage spells. The two best tactics I've found vs. Tzeentch are: 1.) Take the fight to him - alot of Tzeentch's favorite spells are 'magic missiles' and can not be cast in combat. Beware though, his 'casters' are actually melee heroes w/casting lvl's - not pushovers in a fight. 2.) Weather the storm. Nothing pisses a Tzeentch player off more than to watch all his casting go off perfectly only to watch it shrugged off by our high toughness and even higher model count - lots of Orc Boyz and (again) a well organized General and BSB will help a lot (and w/luck he'll miscast and explode eventually =P). Slaanesh is way more devious ind imo way more dangerous. A good Slaanesh player will control your movement, disrupting planned charges or breaking up your line, maneuvering you till he's ready to strike - ideally sweeping you off the board all in one go. The best way to beat disruption is with disruption - dispell scrolls and dice are your best friends here, protect them and do whatever it takes to remove his casters from the board asap (just regular casters this time, unlike Tzeentch) fast cav, goblin bombs, and the occasional well-placed Doom Diver all work well for taking out lone casters.
    Last edited by Courtsloth; April 9th, 2008 at 01:53.
    Two's to kill. Ahh, sweet sweet music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I´m thinking of; Spear chukkas, chariots and rock lobbers. Could this work against Warriror based khorne?

What about other races? Would these work against Wood elves, or some other races as well?

EDIT: What about Goblin spellcasters - shamans and such - would these be a good addition to an G&O army? The spells of the Waaagh! are kinda irritating to an enemy, but also to the caster itself.
    Last edited by ramjay; April 9th, 2008 at 11:50. Reason: Remembered something important

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-A lvl 1 N. Gobbo shammy w/2 dispell scrolls is a standard in almost any O&G list, but this is for the sake of anti-casting. If you want to actually get spells off you have to dedicate most or all of your characters to making it happen.

-Take Doom Divers before Rock Lobbas - they're way more deadly and they don't take up a special slot (which are kind of crowded for us. Spear Chukkas are good because they're cheap, come two to a special slot, and ignore armor.

-If you take chariots, take them and use them in pairs. Two chariots hitting a unit at the same time can do a ton of damage and essentially end the combat before it even begins. I love chariots - I take Boar Chariots for the extra tough and armor, but Wolf Chariots are incredibly fast.

-As far as Wood Elf opponents, I know very little (having only played them twice and that back when I was picking the game up). 2 Doom Divers and 2 chariots are pretty much staples of my list now though - bring them to every match.
    Two's to kill. Ahh, sweet sweet music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whenever i fight khorne (not very often) i usually only go into a fight if i have the charge, a flank, and smoe other trick up my sleeve.
    chariots in pairs are perfect for marauders taking out the first rank most times means they don't get to pummel you with extreme power.
    against warriors i like to take them with my biggest units so as to get high static combat res and to make my ranks as wide as possible so he has to kill more. spears are useful as are charging chariots and choppas on the charge.
    knights...avoid them and shoot them if possible. if you can magic the crap out of them but i wouldn't be to hopeful as they are magic resistant.

in general take out the front rank before they can strike, if you do this then they won't be able to hurt you. the thing you got over him is points cost, each of his men are like 25 odd points, whereas yours tend to be half that at max.

+ Reply to Thread