how can i beat high elves? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how can i beat high elves?

howdy, ive been playing with Orcs and Goblins for about 8 months now and with the new release of the High Elf book, i just can't seem to beat them so if anyone has any ideas for beating them then please help.

Huzzah i say

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fanatics, chariots, rock lobbers...they don't strike first
    characters on chariots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

You need speed just in case they are diffensive and sneaky, differently plenty dispel scrolls (2 at least). Orcs wise i'm not sure, possibly Savage orcs on boars? (beware of eagles misdirecting you) and yes chariots. Beware of swordmasters. Flank them if possibly, i know black orcs can take these guys on from the front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by czechImenhotep View Post
    fanatics, chariots, rock lobbers...they don't strike first
    characters on chariots
    Doom Divers and Spear Chukkas too, to rock his troops.

If he's playing heavy shooting, play ton's of t4 models and target hit repeater bolt throwers w/your DDivers/RLobbas - or if he sets up wrong, target his archers and try to get them to flee thru the war machines making them flee too.

If he's playing magic, try the Goblin Bomb to hunt down a pesky mage or two (and, of course, the obligatory N. Gobbo scroll caddy).
    Two's to kill. Ahh, sweet sweet music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple you can't... We're simply too cool on all fronts.

But seriously, I would reccomend shooting the hell out of us. We have low armour and toughness, and fanatics not to forget. Is there anything we hate, then it is knowing fanatics will be rushing at us as soon as we charge. they hurt so bad... (Magic is another way of destroying us, although we may seem strong at magic we can be beaten.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

Yeah, its amazing how T4 affects bolt throwers. They really excel against T3. What shooty do orcs have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

I don't think that Orcs have the shooty stuff its all Gobbos there. I love the Gobbos. Sure they fear elves but they are great at taking them out as well...

A few rock lobbas a few doom divers and fanatics and watch the elves run. lol

Even more fun when your opponent sends a big unit of sword masters into your night goblin unit and is smacked by 3 fanatics who pretty much recoup their points instantly.

Just need to watch out for great eagles!

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

I've won twice against high elves because fanatics paniced charging white lions =). of course you can't rely on that with their high leadership, but it's a thing of beauty when it works (especially when they turn around and run back over the same fanatic.) I play pretty much a horde and love to see shooty elves. S3 bows and S4 throwers just don't kill enough T4 orcs to matter. The great eagles can be a real pain with drawing fanatics on turn 1 and clogging up your advance with your own drugged goblins. I try to keep a single block of 20 goblins on the flank with one fanatic to stall them out, and place my big block of goblins in the middle as late as possible in deployment.

The other fanatic tip is, when releasing them in response to a charge on a nearby unit, don't throw them at the charger, throw them at where the charger is going to end up. I made a unit of chosen chaos warriors eat 6D6 hits once by laying the fanatics out along the front of a neighbouring orc regiment =)

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

all those ideas are good. Squig hoppers are really good as well. they have a similar weapon skill and usually out manuever High Elves.

O&G have great magic, but it is hard to generate power dice. 6's are 1's will ruin a high elf players day.

You would be suprised what a unit of orcs with bows can do to high elves on a hill. They don't cost any more than orcs with shields, but 20 bow shots at anything on a hill will kill it.

Also O&G bolt throwers are 2 1/2 times cheaper than High Elf bolt throwers. Keep shooting 2 of them at something and it will die.

Lastly, the strength of o&G is their numbers. No High player can generate even half of what a orc and goblin player can amass as far as models on the table. Flank charges are almost always good. High toughness prevails usually. Giants are always giants and good for negating ranks and causing terror.
    Last edited by buckero0; April 14th, 2008 at 20:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one thing to say to you against highelves: don't let him strike. my favourite is watching his T3 elves get smushed by a goblin holding onto a chain connected to a spiky cannonball. another way is chariots taking out his front ranks, and if you have enough send your squig herds into the centre of his army to go mad and take out as much as you can.

+ Reply to Thread