Animosity? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Animosity?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Animosity?

What do you O&G players think of animosity? To me, it seems rather random.

Sometimes it matters; sometimes, it doesn't.

Personally, I'm glad that my armies don't have to deal with it, though an untimely surge coupled with a well-timed Waagh! can really hurt.

Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

I don't think I can say I feel I've ever won or lost a game due to animosity rolls, but it has certainly cost me regiments. I don't know that I would play the army much differently if the rule didn't exist at all. (Assuming the ability to call the Waaagh! was still in place of course. I don't often win if the Waaagh! goes poorly or doesn't have an opportunity to be used (which is a sure sign I've been outmaneuvered.)) I also tend to run three boar chariots and some trolls, and I use them in a supporting role rather than as strikers most of the time. This means if one part of the battle line does stall out I have a bit more maneuverability to maintain a threatening advance and so forth.

The one thing that animosity does tend to make me do is deploy my shamans outside of regiments (when the enemy doesn't have any war machines on hills at least) which is hazardous and irritating, it would be nice to not feel like I have to do that =)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I do remember playing games against O&G players where animosity rolls certainly influenced the game's outcome.

Poor deployment and poor animosity rolls can ruin an Orc player's plans.

And I can recall games where enemies surged forward and overran me early in the game.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Perhaps it's simply hubris and I want to think I'm a good enough general to overcome bad animosity rolls, not losing because of them =)

You can definitely cause yourself serious pain if you don't deploy assuming that at least one of your units is going to squabble in the first two turns. Like I said, I rely heavily on maneuverable units that don't check Animosity (chariots mainly) to adjust my line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04 View Post
    What do you O&G players think of animosity? To me, it seems rather random.

Sometimes it matters; sometimes, it doesn't.

Personally, I'm glad that my armies don't have to deal with it, though an untimely surge coupled with a well-timed Waagh! can really hurt.
    Personally I really like the Animosity rule and would be up in arms if I couldn't have it. I actually see Animosity as an advantage not a disadvantage.

Of course squabbling (rolling a 1) can be a minor annoyance but plans can be made to compensate. As InquisitorAffe said, deploying Shamans out of a unit where possible is one solution. Halting you battle line is another (i.e. not getting isolated). I have had units that needed to be able to charge, or cast magic, but have instead resorted to squabbling. A squabble can change your plan but not by that much in general.

On the other hand, the reason I believe Animosity to be an advantage, We'll show 'em (rolling a 6) is a true game winner. I have had many an occasion when things just suddenly became possible after animosity, due to We'll show 'ems. Most of the time after calling my Waaagh.

It goes without saying that using your Waaagh on the right turn is crucial too. Combining a Waaagh with a Waaagh Banner in the regiment with your Warboss in can be unbelievable 8 + 2D6" effective charge range! Let your opponent have first turn if you do this! Then watch his face carefully as the true horror unfolds.

I would also go so far as to say that I really do not rate the Quell Animosity rule of Black Orc characters. Personally I would rather not have some thing in my army that kills my own green skins in such a premeditated manner as there are plently of things in a green skin army that do it accidentally and completely for free (Fanatics, Squig Herds, Giants falling over, Magic Mushrooms).

Animosity is what Orcs and Goblins are all about!

"Ratgut is a filthy lyin' git and he spat on my favourite boots. He needs teachin' a lesson."
    Last edited by mattapplegate; June 6th, 2008 at 21:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, old animosity.

Animosity is a rather prominant feature of any orcs and goblins army.
    It is not really that much of a disadvantage, you only need to plan you army's deployment and movement. As was mentioned, deploying shamans out of units can help, but does leave them exposed.

But, always remember that the chance of doing nothing is equal to the chance of charging forward. Sure, many games can be one or lost because of good or bad animosity rolls, but that's all part of the fun in Orcs & Goblins.

Jack.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. August 23rd, 2008, 11:58
  2. August 20th, 2008, 17:20
  3. August 20th, 2008, 03:53