Ironguts versus one huge belly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

Ironguts versus one huge belly

I've been muttering away what to do with my theoretical O&G army, figuring I'd want a mobile horde mostly on foot without any unnecessary 'junk' like dakkas and lobbas
    because by the time they get carried over to the battlefield and set up thing ought to be half over by then (fluffwise mind you, as in screw battlefield preparations, bonk'em already!).

Which means that my army is more likely than not going to need some mobile 'artillery', given how choppas and little green things with sticks might not cut it, why not a big huge club?

So I figure I could go for a Giant, who'll be stupid enough to join the fight for a good meal and some sparkly things, or I could go for a few Ironguts, who'll be stupid enough to join the fight for a good meal and some sparkly things, and won't potentially wipe out a few hundred goblins with one mistep. (If anyone gets to mistep on a gobbo, it should be a proper greenskin!)

Yes, I'm probably biased towards the Ironguts right off the bat, which is why I'm here to see if I'm right favouring big brutes over really big brutes...

Ironguts (Barebones unit of four)

Pros:
    Costs slightly less than one giant
    Costs slightly less than one giant moneywise too
    Guaranteed to send some attacks at their target instead of falling over or showering them with bad breath
    Double the wounds, and while they're not quite as tough, they (seem to) make up for it with an armour save
    Just as fast as a giant, which goes to show that it pays to get some decent footwear

Cons:
    The four ogre wide unit takes up a bit of real estate
    Fear, not terror
    They're not greenskins, which probably means size doesn't really matter for these guys, which probably means a panicing goblin could send these guys running.

Giant

Pros:
    Terror
    Better leadership, and a stubborn leadership at that
    Bigger vertically, but smaller footprint, which should help finding a spot for this guy amonst the greenies
    Size matters
    Random attacks, random fun

Cons:
    Random attacks, random headaches
    He's a tad bit on the clumsy side, and could just as easily fall onto something green as opposed to something other than a green colour.
    Did we mention the ogres get more wounds and an armour save and quite a few more str6 attacks?
    Seem better suited for small guys that don't really pack much of a punch, a job that the boyz could do just find thank you very much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Go for the Ironguts. The crapload of S6 attacks has to be worth it. The Giant is just an expensive fire-magnet. Put yourself in your opponents shoes. Would you shoot the Ironguts or the Giant?

-AFG//

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

I don't think there's much of a contest, the Ironguts are better for almost everything. Their principle con is that they're no longer legal in the GW tourney circuit, which makes their acceptance elsewhere tenuous as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

163 (x3)

They're not? Well that puts a monkey wrench into those plans. >>

(So when did they decide to drop the mercenary trait for them anyways?)

edit: They... have the dogs of war bit still on them on the US site though... <<;
    Last edited by Pixie; July 14th, 2008 at 08:23.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Under the current GT rules the hiring army is required to also have a DoW entry as a Rares option within their own Army Book (e.g., Empire) in order to use Ogre Mercenaries. No DoW option in the OnG army book = no hiring mercenaries. The generic DoW rules are totally deprecated.

If you're just playing with friends, who cares? But if it's for tournaments or pick-up games in stores, not as reliable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

163 (x3)

Games Workshop Online Store &mdash; Dogs Of War

"There's a variety of reasons for removing the reference to DOW in the forthcoming army books, and these are the main ones:
    1. The rules detailing how to include DOW in an army are included in the DOW list/ articles. Therefore if you have access to those rules you have access to how they can be added to your army.
    2. We may wish to revise the way DOW work in the future, and while we continue to perpetuate the current rules for them in the army books this will be very difficult to do. Our intent is that the DOW rules, should we produce a proper supplement, will be entirely self-contained and require no references in the army books.
    Neither of these are intended as a signal that we are never going to do/ immediately going to do (delete as appropriate) a Dogs of War supplement. They are simply a sort of house-cleaning procedure that leaves us clear to evaluate and pursue the correct course of action regarding Dogs of War in the future."

GW Online : Warhammer : Dogs of War : Using Mercenaries in your Army

Orcs and Goblins

• Ricco's Republican Guard - These extra-long "Stikka Boyz" can be a real thorn in the side of anyone who wants to assault your Greenskins.
    • Oglah Khan's Wolfboyz - With their extra pursuit distance, opponents will rarely get away from these brutal Hobgoblins.
    • The Marksmen of Miragliano - Until the Orcs learn to handle some crossbows, these "Shooty Boyz" can keep enemy regiments back until you're ready to charge!

[TMP] "Warhammer 7th edition Army books Confusion" Topic

"Dogs of War are still legal, as the lists are still online and figures available on the webstore. The problem's with some tournament organizers disallowing you from including units in your force, but nothing against an exclusive DoW/RoR army. Aside from Bretonnians, all armies can take Ogres and DoW/RoR. The option was removed from the books to tidy up the lists, not banning DoW. IIRC, the UK GW folks tend not to be as liberal with what's tournament legal as the US organizers."

Looks like it's still kosher to me, the tournament people are just being, well, tournament people.

+ Reply to Thread