Librarium Online Forums banner

Preferred boyz weapons

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Mr. Ironfist 
#1 ·
Okay so I'm revisiting my O&G army now i have enough damn Night gobbos i want to swell my army with a two... or more blocks of orc boyz.
My current block has Spear and shield but i want to know what the rest of you warboss' think about gearing your boyz out with.

Also if you so wish to answer your preferred rare choice

#2 · (Edited)
I find the best options to be either choppa+shield or 2 choppas. In this edition, the choppa is an awesome version of the typical hand weapon, so you might as well make use of it. I tend to lean more towards the choppa+shield option since it's a little cheaper (6 points is a steal for these guys) but I have one big unit with 2 choppas as well. Spears are actually a pretty poor choice in this edition what with the choppa being so great.

As for rare choices, I usually take something fun....either a giant or a few trolls. Sometimes both. Never use the doom diver, but pump wagons can be kinda fun, very cheap and horribly random.

#4 ·
HW/Shield all the way for me. Cheap boyz is the only boyz for me, that way I get more of em!

As far as rares go I usually use a giant or unit of trolls, and a doom diver. My guessing is pretty much spot on so it works for me, add that to the fact that all my opponents play elves, there is nothing better for squashing swordmasters and wardancers than a flying gobbo.

#5 ·
I see no reason to take spears or add choppas on orc boyz when the choppa and shield is such good value and makes for a very efficient unit.

As for my preferred rare I'd have to say giant or trolls though I don't tend to use them too much.

#6 ·
i would take 1 unit with shields AND extra Chop, SPECIALLY if they're Big'uns with the butcher banner, 16+ str 5 attacks on the charge hurts.

I play with 3 blocks of normal boys, 2 as just HW/Shield, the 3rd is a Big'un unit as i just described. and i wouldn't take spears with the orcs, the choppa is much better

Edit: and if you don't have a spare Character to follow the trolls, don't take them, i erpsonally advise against Trolls period, i like my Giant and the Doom Diver

#7 ·
If you can afford it and are fighting bad ass troops - take both aditional choppa and shield. additional for the charge and then change to shield in the next combat phase. Toughness 4 and 4+ amour save is hard to bring down. Of course it depends on who you play against. To take an obvious example, shields are waste of points against zombies - while two choppas would take a lot of zombies down.

When it comes to rare choice i love 3 river trolls. It should not be difficult to keep them inside 12'' of the general. Charge along with your night gobs with nets (its almost a must to charge with a unit with ranks). Just put the units so one night goblin is in base contact with the foe. Then you have 3 ranks (possibly outnumber), banner, and gives the opponent -1 strenght. The trools will do the killing and if they should not take the front rank, it will be difficult for the opponent to take wounds from the trolls: -1 to hit, Toughness 4, -1 strenght... They have been useful for me and you say that you have lots of gobbos so i was just thinking... :)

#8 ·
Firstly when you enter combat you must stick with the same choice throughout so you would be stuck 2 choppas for the whole combat which is why I feel choppas and shileds are the best choice.

Secondly when you charge with 2 units there has to be an even split between the 2 units so you wouldn't be able to only have 1 goblin in combat, I'm not saying its a bad idea to use this tactic I'm just pointing out the rules.

#9 ·
Hmm. Thank you then. The armed to da teef rule says that you can choose at the start of each combat, and i've been mistaking it for 'each combat phase'

When it comes to the charge you are right, but it doesn't has a lot of influence. Against a 5 wide spearmen unit fx, you can have all 3 trolls in base contact and only 2 gobs, since the rules says that you have to bring an euqual number of models from the two chargers into combat. Since it has nothing to do with unit strenght it is equal. 2 from the first init, and 3 from the second. Am I right?

#10 ·
I'll agree with the majority, it's best to have one unit with a shield and one unit with additional choppa's. It gives you a nice balance in units, one mildly capable of performing a tar pit or at least staying alive for a little while, (I like to stick a bsb with mork's spirit totem in with these guys), and one unit dedicated to combat that is best supported by a combat character. If you are going to have three I think I'd go for two with additional choppas and one with shields.

As for rares I've been running a doom diver and a giant, but I've been leaning towards two divers lately. Their accuracy makes them super useful and pretty predictable, (something very rare in an O&G army), and they won't be shot to pieces by arrows, or run at a unit and pick up one model then run away, or any number of things that giants fall victim to.

#11 ·
2 choppas has to be the way forward, especially on big uns. Theres not a lot statwise that can compete with them, especially through sheer number of attacks.

Always a giant, though I'm always open to a single 40 poin sacrificial troll if I have a spare slot. It can be rather useful

#13 ·
even if you can't switch weapons, the extra choppa with a shield(extra armour) is the way to go with your big'uns for other blocks, keep em cheap.
If you like savage orcs take a block of them, like archon said, savage orcs get 3 attacks with 2x chops, and if the savages are your biguns with your butcher banner, thats 20(21) s5 attacks, at 4 WS, stuff will die

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.