Librarium Online Forums banner

How good are Spear Chukkas

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  WarbossAntoni 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i like artillery so i was wondering how good spear chukkas are, as in how effective and whether or not they really effect the outcome of the battle. My main questions are?

Do you use them only if the enemy has artillery or steam tanks and such?

Are they good against infantry?

Also, i am taking two right now but kinda want to bump it up to 4, looking forward to hearing about yalls experience with these gobo death machines. Thanks a ton.

#2 · (Edited)
They are VERY useful. I find that a pair more often than not pays for itself in a game. And if not, its<100 points. They aren't quite AS good as they used to be vs infantry, when ranks had to be only 4 wide to get the bonus- made it possible to kill off 25% of the unit with 1 shot!

But still, a battery of 4 should be pretty effective. I tend to use other things for my specials, but I have nothing against taking lots of artillery in a gobbo army. As I always say:

EVERYTHING COUNTS IN LARGE AMOUNTS!

EDIT: Oh, and I've had a bolt thrower kill a chaos lord twice in 2 games vs the same opponent, the one time the crew ran him clean off the board :D

#4 ·
I'd put them pretty much on a par really. the rock lobba can potentially do more damage, but the chukka has strength in numbers, and by splitting them can bring more units to bear in their fire arcs. Tough one to call that. I personally use a slots worth of both if I take war machines!

#7 ·
1st post outside the Intro's page :D

In 2000 or less and with my love of blackorcs and squigs id go for spear chukkas, based on me and artillary dice dont get on well (empire second army steals my gobbo misfire luck).

In short spear chukkas wont kill themselves rock lobbers can and in my case do.

#11 ·
Back in the previous Army book, I knew players that would bring 6 chukkas in their NG army. I ususally bring 2 or 4 max. I only end up hitting with around half of my shots, but I have run half of my Bret. opponents force off the board in a 750-1000 pt game with one shot. He had horrible saving throws and I went through 4 ranks of knights with a hero and lady in the unit. They also help against any army with massed r-n-f troops. Just remember to not and try to trade shots with Elf bolt throwers because that is wasting shots you could take on his elite infantry.

#13 ·
I find that spear chukkas are the O&G army's most cost-effective unit. In a tournament setting, I moved one of the chukkas forward while shooting with the other. I had a crossfire on the enemy wood elf's ancient treeman. Being a large target, even at long range I could hit on 4+. In a single turn, I dealt 3 wounds to it by rolling a "3" on the D3 wounds. Basically with spear chukkas against monsters/large targets at long range, you get a 1/4 chance of dealing wounds. Focus fire a bit and you can get rid of the terrifying monsters before they reach threatening range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.