The Gobbos of Pirate Island - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Gobbos of Pirate Island

my gaming group are about to embark upon a experimental campaign idea for small armies. essentially it'll a bit like heroes of might and magic with every game giving you more points to buy more buildings that allow you to upgrade your army. In short: each game you win gets you a territory, starting force is 700 points. This is heavily restricted (1 hero, 2+ core, 0-1 special, 0-1 heavy cavalry, 0-1 light cavalry, 0-3 magic items, no fancy stuff) but you get 3 points to spend on developments and these apply to your starting force. After that you get 3 a month. The idea being that its a nice incremental way for everyone to start new armies without having to go out and spend £300 on models in one go.
    I've been thinking about which army to take for a little while and i've been thinking that an army of night goblins would be great fun to play and easy to make really fluffy (converting peglegs and eyepatches will be great fun) 've not played with gobbos before so would anyone mind giving me some ideas for a 700pt beginners army list with ideas of expansion?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The set up of you guys system sounds like a really fun concept.

As far as night goblins go at 700 points:

Numbers
    You will probably vastly outnumber your opponents regardless of what they choose. For instance if you did nothing but regular sword and shield night goblins, you would have 244 units, In units of 20 that's nearly twelve blocks of infantry.

Strengths
    Probably one of the most fluffy armies in my opinion, also they are a lot of fun in their wide variety of unit types. Some units, such as squig herds can rip through most anything, also fanatics are quite nice as well as rock lobbas and spear chukkas.

Weaknesses
    weak in combat for the most part and your archers probably wont kill much of anything. At 700 points you may be able to simply overwhelm your opponents with numbers but later on you may begin to have issues.

Conclusion
    Night goblins are alot of fun. You will enjoy playing them and winning with goblins adds an extra layer of fun because you just beat down an army with a horde of tiny green guys. You probably wont win all the time, and it will most likely be a huge win or huge loss depending on the enemy strategy.

Hope this stuff helps, good to have you aboard the WAAAAGH!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

A nice big horde is generally best for small games like this, you can afford to have a few characters in there too, though be careful with tooling them up. A Lv2 shaman with a shroom and a big boss with a little armour and maybe a magic weapon (20 points max) is always useful. You may want the odd fanatic too.

I find that in a pushed for points game, many units of 24 NG with hand weapon, shield, nets, full command and 2 fanatics forms a nice solid core.

Maybe throw in a squig herd, 2 teams is optimal for flanking, and is also not TOO heavy on the pocket. (you may be able to "convert" some of the small ones off the fanatic sprues, a few spare NGs with spears make good herders!
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool, i'll go purchase a codex tomorrow

if anyone is interested in the structure of the campaign the link below contains the thread from our forum where the rules are laid out. it also contains the inevitable arguments and chiseling you'd expect

Wargames and CCG Society :: View topic - Pirate Island campaign idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

Looks good, I bet you'll have a lot of fun with that!

However, looks like my advice was a bit rubbish! I'll revise it to lots of gobbo units as previously stated, squigs as before, NG big boss with magicy weapon + 'itty ring (not worth it yet, but once you get the magic in, he'll love it!). Maybe a unit or 2 of archers with just a musician can be nice throwaway units, and you can get them pretty cheap (less than 70 points).

Consider getting the BFSP box, as you're getting pretty much all you need in it, I'm sure people will let you use the spearmen as regular HW/shield gobbos. Plus you're getting the rulebook and all that other useful gubbinz in it. You could even find a dwarfenly inclined buddy to split the cost with, making it that little bit more cost effective!

Then its just the 'natics and squigz and yer set!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skull pass has been bought =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

321 (x8)

Aha, great minds think alike! Now you just need the squigs, fanatics, and possibly one more box of gobbos and you're set! If you want a unit with HW/S, to have nets in your spears units and take the standard out of the bows unit, then the following is probably the best way to do it.

Bows: 19 skull pass (SP) inc champ (counts as a regular guy) and musician. Make one gobbo with bow from new box (NB)

Spears: 19 SP, inc mus + st. champ removed, "replace" with spear gobbo with distinguishing feature. 20th member is a netter from the NB X2

NB, with HW/S: Standard from bows, champion from 1 spear unit (the other can be a rank and file) other 17 from NB, including a netter.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another effective option with low points NG armies is to load up on the magic. Waaagh magic can be a bit volatile but is still the most powerful point for point in my view.
    Max out on your shamans plus an itty ring and there is no way a 700 pt army will be able to dispell everything coming at them.
    My tactic is to then hide the shamans in a nice big clump of NGs, stall the enemy with some wolfies, spidies or squigs according to taste and protect the unit with some fanatics for when the enemy finally gets there.
    A bit sneaky and cowardly but you are a goblin general after all!!

On a separate note I have a big NG army and love converting, painting and playing them. They come highly recommended.

But.... I can't remember hitting a thing with the archers and no longer bother with them (which is a shame given the cute figures) and a goblin hero is still a goblin hero and even loaded up they are still rubbish.

Apart from the kamakaze stuff you can get which is great fun!!!

It's all about numbers and sneakyness in my cowardly view.

Great fun though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

321 (x8)

The problem is though he can't load up on magic, which is a shame, otherwise I would wholeheartedly be echoing BBO's sentiments.

But I do echo the sentiment of "be sneaky"!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just started working my way through your campaign thread and it sounds great - wish I was there.
    It's also pretty clear that "loading up" in any way is not in the spirit of this one.
    Go horde.
    But ... I would still recommend larger units and dump archers etc.
    You are allowed one level 2 shaman. This plus itty ring should give a fighting chance of doing some magic harm.
    Good input from all your mates too and I will be working my way through it during bouts of the boss not watching!

You could have some artillery though .... mmmm..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast