Building off Battle for skull pass, advice for a noob? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Building off Battle for skull pass, advice for a noob?

Hi, I was wondering what would be a good way to go with O&G from the battle for skull pass set (target around 2k points)

Any advice,

I was thinking getting the army deal, which is boss on a boar, more night goblins, 10 black orcs, 20 orcs, boar chariot, 10 wolf riders, shaman, goblin boss, and BSB boss (plus the army book=) )

Would this be the way to go... maybe get some fantaics and more black orcs on top of this.

Or am I better off doing things differently?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie to newbie advice: buy at least one set of Fanatics. They're great !

I read in another forum (from people from Spain, i think) that if you have the Skull pass set, you should definitely get some fanatics. I took the advice and (so far) I'm very satisfied.

I think the army option is great too. However, as I'm learning by reading on Librarium Online (great stuff), I think you should probably buy some Savage Orcs too.

I'm not an experimented player, buy I hope to give you a "comparable" advice based on our mutual little experience

Regards.
    "Look Mr. Bubbles... Adam!"
    Visit Ecuador's First Warhammer Hobby Forum
    Twitter: @marco_vaca Do you have a PS3 ? Let's play some Worms ! (PSN id: viper0478)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never, ever recommend buying the army box, unless you've played for a pretty long time and you know that you'll be using all the units that come in the box.

It doesn't save you that much money, and most new players know if you'll even use all the units that come in the box. I recommend buying your units one at a time and asking your opponents to proxy units using different models or even pieces of paper, so that you can see whether you'll like using a unit before you spend money on it. Our hobby ain't cheap, so don't buy stuff that you might not use.

As for what to buy, I do recommend a box of fanatics. I wouldn't buy more than a box, as 3 is plenty. As for the other stuff, black orcs are mediocre (but fun), chariots are great, orc general and BSB are pretty good. The BSB should be mounted on a boar or he's going to die quickly every game.

For a good list building off the skull pass box, I recommend 2 boxes of orc boyz, a mounted black orc general, a mounted black orc BSB, a couple of boar chariots, a couple of spear chukkas, any of the rares (doom diver is my favorite), and a box of wolf riders. You can build a pretty good 2000 point list from the skull pass box and this stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Do you have a particular theme in mind for the army or are you going to be using just about any choice from the army book?

I'll echo the others and say that adding some fanatics to the night goblins will give them some much needed punch. As for adding other things, I'd start with some basic Orc Boyz, who are really good value for their points, and probably a Black Orc general for his leadership value, as leadership isn't a goblin's strong point.

The Army Box containing the Army Book isn't a great idea unless you're sure you want everything that's in the box. Those sets are designed to let people get the new releases before they are released separately, and so there's really no reason to buy that box now. If you want to look at a large set, the Batallion and the Army Box which doesn't contain the army book are much better value as they are significantly cheaper than buying everything separately.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

With BFSP and the army box, I'd recommend one or the other, and I'd also recommend BFSP any day of the week. Get some orcs and some fanatics and have a go to see how things play out. I personally love having large blocks of infantry, with NGs, black orcs and orc boyz to do the brunt of the fighting. I'd also recommend you get an orc shaman (individually off ebay) so you can have a go with both the big and little waaagh!s.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My advice is to play what you like. I started the same way. I bought a box of BFSP. I love to get a new model to play around. I recently bought a goblin boss on a cave squig. What a blast. Check out your codex and play what works for you. Gobbos aren't that tough but a lot of fun to play.

+ Reply to Thread