Fielding Gorbad - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fielding Gorbad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fielding Gorbad

I have not played Gorbad much. Is there a certain key to this character? He has a sweet weapon and awesome leadership, but the attacks are not what Grimgor has. I'll lay back and wait for replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hes on the boar right? In my opinion thats the problem. You want a big general inside a unit of infantry near the middle of the army, not charging at the enemy early on and taking his leadership away from bulk of army. Or maybe thats just me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His leadership takes a hit if he takes a wound. It goes from 18 inches to 6 inches for his leadership. Thats not good. If you place near the rear, you have a very expensive standard bearer. I don't see the power in this character. It's a sweet model though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, he's most certainly worth it. He's not a beatstick like Grimgor, but I think Gorbad is a lot better for the points.

Second, xanaq, you can just put him in a unit of infantry. You're allowed to put a mounted character in a foot unit with absolutely no penalties. I've done this with my regular orc warboss since 7th edition started. You should NEVER get gorbad hit unless he gets picked out in combat or you fail a "look out, sir" roll. And yes, you even get the roll when you're on a boar. And if he gets in combat, he usually handles himself really well.

Third, Most people don't hit orc infantry units unless they have a flank or until the last few turns of the game. It doesn't happen that early, so he usually never gets touched unless you're trying to run him in combat. You're better off with a weaker general that provides better leadership than a stronger character whose leadership is not so good. This is because most of the armies cause fear to orcs and goblins in one way or another.

I can have a general that can kill everything in the game (like grimgor), but every player will just spend the whole game avoiding him. Alternatively, I can take a character with lots of armor, and spend the points left over on separate units that are fast and hit hard, which will support my slow units.

I like his rules very much and I think he's absolutely worth taking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i said my opinion of putting a mounted character in an infantry unit already in another thread, but here goes again...

i dont care whether its allowed or not, i wont do it. it doesnt look right, doesnt feel right, and doesnt make any sense to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thank both of you for your responses. I have placed him by himself and ran him around different units to boost their leadership. I will try him in an infantry and/or group of Boar Boyz. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gorbad ftw

Gorbad is awesome, he gives you an 18" general / battle standard in one guy, have him with some boar boys and make sure u have lots of boyz units laying around. fielding units of 15 biguns with spears n shields is insane. and with the 18" leadership 10 they're not going anywhere. then have 2 units of 5boar boys biguns, all biguns.
    He gives you the option of ws, str, t 4 orcs. thats awesome. str 5 on the first round, makes wounding eazy and combined with a waaagh call, its gg. the guys i play with wont let me field him anymore because he's a general, you gota play him as one.
    he wont mince units or annihilate enemy heros as well as grimgore (not many heroes in the game do! he's mean) but he strikes first, good stats, no armour saves. great hero all around. more overpowered than grimgore because of his maneuverability combined with how he makes regular orcs badass.

To powergame with gorbad. simply field 2 15man spear/shield biguns, 1 2choppa bigun unit, then some fast cav, 2 units of 5boar boy biguns, no need for commands, and some trolls (18" for them is huge. flanking trolls is gg) anyways, hope i gave you some ideas!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to try that this weekend. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another option I like is taking him in games of 3000 points or more, I mean I could take grimgor and gorbad, and then three shamans, I don't need to make room for my customary big boss for the BSB, because Gorbad has it covered. And boy an army of Big un's, Black orcs, and Da Immortulz, I welcome all of those WOC boys who think they've got good infantry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only problem is both gorbad and grimgore MUST be the general. there are NO orc HEROES. they're all lords who must be the army general. kinda sucks. throgg should SO be in the OnG book!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast