Help needed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help needed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help needed

Hi guys,

I haven't been a member of LO long but I thought I'd ask for a little advice. I play O&G and my main opponent plays a dark elf gun-line with heavy magic. I find this really difficult to play against.

He constantly march blocks me, sets off my fanatics when I don't want him to and just generally destroys my army. He is quite an experienced player and I'm quite new so I don't expect to win easily but I'd like to put up a bit more of a fight

I just want to get my troops into combat but they never make it

This is a quick version of my list

Characters
    BO Warboss on boar
    BO BSB
    Orc Shaman
    Goblin Shaman

Core
    25 Orcs, shields, full command
    25 Orcs, shields, full command
    30 Night Goblins, netters, 2 fanatics
    5 Spider Riders
    5 Spider Riders

Special
    20 Black Orcs, full command
    Orc Chariot
    Rock Lobber
    2 Spear Chukkas

Rare
    3 Trolls

This is 2000pts

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks guys

Jen

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does his list look like? How many bolt throwers? Hydra? Black Guard? Let me know what's in it and I'd be happy to help. From a glance, if you're taking magic at all other than to dispel, I'd quit. You can generally give up the magic phase against dark elves by just taking a level 1 scroll caddy or Mork's Spirit Totem. You don't want to cast spells around the ring of Hotek, anyway (it's the dark elf item everybody takes), as your casters will miscast and die quickly.

Also, if you would let me know what equipment you took on your army and characters, that would also help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, thanks for the help,

I don't know exactly what he plays but he uses Morathi on Pegasus with focus familiar which is annoying.

I think he takes a few other casters, seems to generate thousands of pd

He takes a line of about 10 normal guys with crossbows and creates a single rank of shooting.

20 normal infantry in a block

A chariot

2 Bolt Throwers

5 Cold One Knights

5 guys on horseback - Sorry don't know the real names, he uses these and Morathi to marchblock

He takes about 10 or so glade guys which are scouts I think, he uses these to trigger my fanatics

I just wrote another list actually, tried to make a few changes

Characters

Black Orc Warboss 263
    Boar
    Akk'rit Axe
    Best Boss 'At
    Kickin' Boots
    Heavy armour
    Shield

Black Orc Big Boss 180
    BSB
    Morks Spirit Totem
    Heavy Armour

Orc Shaman 150
    Lv 2
    Power Stone
    Dispel Scroll

Night Goblin Shaman 130
    Lv 2
    Dispel Scroll
    Itty Ring

Core

25 Orc Boyz 180
    full command
    shields

25 Orc Boyz 180
    full command
    shields

5 Wolf Riders 76
    Musician
    Spears and Bows

5 Spider Riders 76
    Musician
    Spears and Bows

5 Spider Riders 76
    Musician
    Spears and Bows

20 Night Goblins 110
    2*Goblin Fanatic

Special

13 Black Orcs 232
    Full command
    Waaagh Banner

Orc Boar Chariot 80

Goblin Spear Chukkas 70

Rare

Giant 205

Any advice you can give would be great Thanks

Jen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, the list looks good. It should be playable with no changes, if you want.

Ok, here's what I think:

1. Your giant is dead. Bolt throwers are going to do for him. The doom diver is a lot better, especially against elves. Doom Divers kill march blockers, skirmishers, and knights with impunity, so I can't recommend one or two enough. They're especially useful for knocking out march blockers, which are hurting your infantry. I'd take at least one. Best of all, they wound the pansy elves on twos.

2. You still have too much magic. You simply cannot compete with that much magic on an offensive level. Dump your offensive ability and one shaman, and take a level one caddy with two dispel scrolls or the staff of sneaky stealin'. Spend the points and the extra character slot on another chariot.

3. Dump your champions on the orc units. Buy more black orcs with the points. They're going to get shot often, as they're a slow, high-profile target. The banner makes them a little faster, but it also just paints a bigger bullseye on them when your friend finds out what it does. The whole idea about facing a gunline is to drop what you don't need to take more warm bodies. You have to get there with ranks and a banner, so you can hold for a turn while your flanking units combo charge in the front or hit your opponent's unit in the side.

Otherwise, I wouldn't change anything in your list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey this is great advice thanks I have a couple of questions though

1. Kind of disappointed about the giant, just bought one lol. I had the idea he would be drawing fire away from my other units. Do you think he'd be killed way to easily then? I do have a doom diver all nicely painted up so I'll put that in if you think the giant will be useless.

2. The magic advice is great, its true I can't really compete lol. I do have another chariot, do you think I should put a character in it? Do you have any recommendations, maybe a goblin with one hit wonder or the pigstikka on an orc?

3. Dropping the bosses sounds good I had such a small amount of black orcs because they are so expensive and they never got in combat. I had them in a line of 7 across the front and 6 at the back. I don't know if this would work?, someone on podhammer recommended it Also I was hoping the giant would take away some of the fire from them.

Thank you so much for all your help

Jen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for all the smiley faces, I'm sure I didn't put that many in, eek.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just figured you were really happy...

Anyway, the giant may survive, but I doubt it. With no save and being wounded on threes by bolt throwers, he should be dead on the first turn. I take mine in spite of the fact that it's going to die on the first turn, just because I love mine. But keep in mind that I don't use mine to soak fire. I hide my giant, as my regular army is a little faster than yours (less infantry, more cavalry and fast units). But the doom diver is just better for the points.

On the chariot, I would either take a goblin hero with wallopa's one hit wunda, a black orc in a chariot (to jump on the cavalry by calling the waaagh), or just a basic boar chariot. You can't go wrong with any of these setups.

7 across is just harder to move for a slow unit. 6 wide is about what you want. 7 wide is HUGE for 25mm bases to move around. Not only that, if you're facing a 5-wide unit that has 20mm bases (standard for most ranked units), you'll only ever get 6 orcs in combat. I've been wrong before, so try it and see if you like it, but I've only ever run 6 wide max, even with my boar cavalry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I think I'll go for the doom diver then, thanks for all the advice, its really helpful. I hope to play on tuesday so i'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again

Jen

+ Reply to Thread