The issue of deployment - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue of deployment

So last night i played my first game against wood elves, 2250, and it was my first loss. It was a massacre both statistically and to watch. This was my first game over 1000 points so i am still getting use to the larger number of units. I screwed myself by deploying very poorly, along with not understanding all the rules with the forest.

I was wondering if you guys have some base rules for O&G deployment on the following issues.

Siege weapon placement?

Where to stick you beefed up valuable units?

Placing a Warboss on a Wyvern?

Giant?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try to use fear/terror causing units on the flanks as this really helps by not letting the enemy have an easy time getting past them.

Try out using a hard center of hard units (Black Orcs, Orc boyz, big'uns etc) with goblins on either side, but try to make it so you have your general on one side and a battle standard on the other as this can really help the units to stay put!

To be honest I dont use a warboss on a wyvern as I like the idea of him wading into the enemy with all his mates, so I cant help you on that one.

Try to get as much artillery up on hills as this helps the line of sight meaning you can hit more enemies (always good) with everything you've got.

I hope this helps a little and if you want to get even more indepth just ask!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also unless your paln includes your Giant becoming a pin-cushion and possibly falling on your own troops, don't play one against Wood Elves (or any elves for that matter). Also you want large units 25+ Orcs and 30-40 for goblins against any shooty army. Also don't let a Wood Elf player trick you into a forrest covered board, that is where his army is made to shine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranu View Post
    Try to use fear/terror causing units on the flanks as this really helps by not letting the enemy have an easy time getting past them.
    Just one point to touch on Ranu. The only fear causing units we have are trolls, and I would not recommend putting them on the flanks as they suffer from LD 4 and stupidity. So unless your general is with them on the flank (which he shouldn't because he should be in with the majority of the army near the center) I would strongly recommend against using them as flank guards. But I agree with the giant, they are excellent at flank guarding and flanking (just watch out for the arrows).

I also like to stick a cheap unit of 20 NG with 1 fanatic and mus. on a flank. It's a cheap unit that could usually beat fast cav and other cheap flankers with combat res, and maybe even scare them off with an obedient fanatic. You could even just throw in 20 NG with nothing and have your opponent scared of the potential fanatic in there, and so you end up denying him that extra flank

I would also be careful of bunching too much artillery onto a single hill if your opponent has lots of artillery hunting units. In that case I would try spreading them out a bit but keep them in good places that have decent line of sight.
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

+ Reply to Thread