Orcs & Goblins army box a good deal? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ITT I ask a bunch of random questions (Page 2)

Hi all! I am interested in starting an O&G army, and was wondering if the big army box (click here) was a good deal. But not in terms of how much it would cost to buy it all individually, I'm wondering if these models are any good in gameplay. Getting all this stuff for cheap is good, but not if it's all units that die easily and I end up having to buy a ton of stuff separately right away.

I know there's a lot of different lists that can be made with so many units to choose from, but are the units in this box any good for what they are?

Last edited by Bas; February 12th, 2009 at 18:35. Reason: Moar questions

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    I'm wondering if these models are any good in gameplay. Getting all this stuff for cheap is good, but not if it's all units that die easily and I end up having to buy a ton of stuff separately right away.
    Very VERY true, and something often overlooked by many beginners to an army. Nice one for picking up on it

Personally, from experience and from advice from experienced players, Black Orcs should be avoided. Nice on paper, but they die all too easily at range.

The only other ''waste'' of space in there is the Orc Chariot. Given the extra speed, Goblin Chariots are almost always better.

However... that doesnt stop conversions does it?

The Black Orcs could just be painted up as normal Orcs (advice, 2xHWs, no shields) and used as a unit for your general. The Chariot conversion shouldn't be too hard either.

Im not sure on the exact saving when buying the box compared to individual bits, but if youre up for soem conversion then its probably worth it.

Depending on what army you want ofcourse, the Battle for Skull Pass set may also be a worth while, investment, adding lots of gobbos to your army, more spider riders () and a shaman (or 2, with some converting )

Also, you get the Rulebook! and then just sell on / trade the dwarves

Bas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice! Knowing GW, I'm pretty sure the models in BfSP are gimped ones compared to the ones you buy seperately. Can you use the goblins in there for a normal army as well, or will anyone be immediatly be able to tell that those goblins don't fit in with the rest of the army?

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    Thanks for the advice! Knowing GW, I'm pretty sure the models in BfSP are gimped ones compared to the ones you buy seperately. Can you use the goblins in there for a normal army as well, or will anyone be immediatly be able to tell that those goblins don't fit in with the rest of the army?
    Lol. Strangely enough, the goblins are perfectly fine!

Id advise a little conversion, they do give you 40 spears and 20 bows, but ideally they would all have hand weapons and shields.

For the Spider Riders, you get a fixed full command. Again, good idea to remove this, they don't need any of it. Just units of 5-6 spiders, with bows, are needed (personal opinion bow wise)

Erm.. you also get a troll, not bad.

Tell you what you could do, something totally random (and probably a poor idea tbh ) But if you cant trade the dwarves or find another use for them, then paint them up like goblins! (gobbos in disguise )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ewww, dwarfs disguised as goblins, please dont. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just find a dwarf player with skull pass and trade him. Suddenly you have over a hundred gobbos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Orcs are great. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah L. View Post
    Black Orcs are great. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    Same with Orc Chariots.

In one game, my single Orc Chariot managed to kill 5 Empire Knights and put a wound on a mounted Warrior Priest (his general) all by itself.

4 S5 attacks and 1d6+1 S5 impact hits aren't anything to be taken lightly.

And if it manages to draw the fire of multiple war machines to it instead of my blocks just to destroy it, then I say it's made it's points back even if it never made it to combat.

Bas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allrighty, thanks for the tips so far! I also found 20 second hand spider riders, and a box of vanilla orcs for cheap. Anything else I should buy /look out for to pad this army? And is there any lord or hero choice that is an especially good buy for this army?
    Last edited by Bas; February 9th, 2009 at 21:52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Is it too late to go back on the 20 spider riders? You only really ever need around 2 units of 5 in a 2000 pt army, and you will get that in that in the big box set, and if you plan on getting a Skull Pass box set (which I strongly recommend) you will have another 12 that will be more than enough. So if you can, don't get get those 20 spider riders, they will be left to collect dust I am afraid.

What else you need, well a shaman of some sort (one comes in the Skull Pass box set), and some artillery, I think a rock lobba and a couple of spear chuckas or a doom diver should hold you off for a while. Then there is of course squig hoppers (my favorite O&G unit), so IMO it is a must to run a unit of 9 of them, but it all depends on what you are going for.

Have you ever thought about buying all of your army in one pop online or something? I know there is a few good websites out there that offer Warhammer at discount prices. chaosorc.com, and miniwargaming.com are both ones that I have used in the past. Not sure where you live though, so maybe check out if there are any online stores in your country that offers good discounts and shipping.
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast