Wyvern Ideas - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wyvern Ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wyvern Ideas

I'm thinking of fielding a Wyvern. I like the Black Orc Warboss Stomper, but taking the general away from Trolls is just bad, and Ld7 across the board sucks. So any suggestions? Also any idea's on what colour to do the Wyvern.

Just tidied up the grammar a bit. -AFG//

Last edited by ArchonFarseerGuy; February 12th, 2009 at 11:45.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Well you touched on a very important point, you are going to be neglecting the rest of your army by keeping your high leadership general away from them. In any game restricted to 1 lord choice I will usually never run my general on a Wyvern or a Lv4 mage as it will usually end up hurting my army too much. With that said I have done both and have come away with victories, so it isn't necessarily a huge sink for you. You would definitely not want to run trolls with your general being on a Wyvern though...nuff' said.

To make up for the bad leadership, a black orc BSB is a must and stick him in a unit of Big Un's (if you're taking them), as quelling animosity and upping their leadership by one will be a big help to that unit and then the BSB itself will help with the re-rolling of failed break checks for other units around. If you take black orcs, don't put the BSB in there as they already ignore animosity and have LDS 8.

One sneaky tactic that has worked a couple of times is have your wyvern hidden behind a mountain when you declare the Waaagh! What happens is your opponent will most likely not have regarded the wyvern as a threat on his turn since you did not have LoS being behind the mountain, so he would have probably left a flank open or poorly positioned a unit from this unassuming threat. Anyways, on your turn you declare the Waaagh, your general will automatically go D6'' forward...putting him on top of the mountain and giving him LoS of all those now exposed units (at this point make sure you check out your opponents reaction, it's usually some sort of pissed off look ), so use your 20'' charge range to get into some nice combat.

*To be honest, that tactic is a one trick pony, and after a couple of games your opponent will have caught on and think of ways to counter it.

I personally really liked the old wyvern a lot more than the new one (I think the new one has too much of a pot belly, looks kind of clumsy, and not intimidating) even the way it was painted up in the 5th edition rule book is better IMO. So it was painted black and different shades of gray, kind of what a black dragons look like (if they existed ). I think that paint scheme also looks great on the new wyvern and makes it look less like a bozo!
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run a Orc and Goblin army with 3 trolls as well as a black orc warboss on wyvern.

The good thing is that you general is amazing, I fly down the side in turn one, preferably on a hill, then steam roll through units using overrun when possible to take out a ton of stuff.

The bad thing, as mentioned above is that your army suffers, that leadership is extremely valuable to hold you troops.

As far as the trolls go, they will pretty much be stupid the whole game without the general so I either leave them back as a very tough body guard for some siege units or let them amble up the flank scaring or killing most things in their path.

Also on paint, I painted mine red with bleached bone belly, the scales i painted grey but the center larger scales i painted yellow. Looks amazing and gets compliments all the time and im not even a very good painter. I also switched the general that came with its head with black orc head from my unit because i thought it looked better.
    Last edited by jwh0142; February 12th, 2009 at 20:40. Reason: typos

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    113 (x3)

If it is realy that important for you to use a wyvern i would sugjest puting a shamman on him and put a scroll and the itty ring martogs best basha and bigends boots on him use him to cause terror tests and shoot the heck out of things with spells and with the magic items he is not to horabal in combat use a big boss as ur general so that ur leader ship is still close to stuff and give ur bsb the horn of urglok to bost ur ld

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

I agree that you would find a Lv4 shaman on a wyvern to be more effective than a Warboss, and then making a big boss your general would definitely help with the leadership. You could even run those trolls and hope on having them behave most of the time I would not however take the Horn of Urgok there are more important items to think about, you would want your general to be fightie (I suggest giving him Shaggas Screaming Sword) and you would want your BSB to be survivable. Besides, the horn will only benefit you on your turn and does not help at all on the other players turn. You should also probably take a Lv2 scroll caddy so you could actually consider yourself somewhat of a magic threat.
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

+ Reply to Thread