How many fluffy squig hoppers should I field? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many fluffy squig hoppers should I field?

Hello!

Just started playing warhammer and I knew there could be only one army for me, the wonderful random world of Orcs and Goblins. More specifically a Night Goblin themed army with some extras (Just finished painting my third batch of 20 night goblins with handweapons, it's tough work!!).

I am aiming to get a 2k core Night goblin army with maybe a giant or two in there! I'll post an army list later on when I am done and hopefully I'll get some feedback on that.

But before that, a question or two about Squig Hoppers. Now I understand that Orcs and Goblins and especially Night Goblins are very random and can either work brilliantly against your opponent or decide that today would be a good day to blow yourself up - But that's why we all pick them I guess! ))

Squig Hoppers seem to be a great symbol of the fun nature of Orcs and Goblins and I understand trying to get a good tactic out of squig hoppers is very difficult but how many should I field in a 2k army?
    Is it better to field 2 units of 5 squig hoppers instead of 1 unit of 10? Should I use 2 units of 6 (like everyone says spider riders should be in a unit of 6 instead of 5) to try to avoid break tests? If I am fielding a unit of 10, should they be in a row or two rows? Or is it only viable if I have 2 units of 10 instead?

At the end of the day, the only other special unit I was going to go for was 2 spear chukkas and maybe a goblin rock lobber. So that leaves 2-3 special units of Squig Hoppers (I am ignoring squig herders for the moment unless somebody starts screaming at me ). I'll probably have 4-5 x 30 units of NGs with hand weapons (10-12ish fanatics) and maybe 1-2 giants + other stuff.

Sorry for the long post for such a simple question and I understand that squig hoppers are a very random element of an army but I am a poor student and just want to avoid buying too many units of something!

Any help would be very much appreciated

Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    113 (x3)

2 units of 7 hoppers should work good use them on your flanks as for ranking them you dont they are skirmishers i would use 4 chuckas rather than a rock lobba and feald 2 giants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for cheaper squig hoppers just buy the squig hearders, and mix the unmounted squigs into the unit. unless its tournaments or really lame people, it should be allowed. saves u a bunch. also i use my squigs as monster killers, st5 is good against anything really, considering they're immune to psyc it makes them perfect giant eaters, or minotaurs, but make sure u get the flank!

again, useless against high elves, ASF is mega cheezmo in my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Welcome to the subterranean underworld that us Night Goblins call home Night Goblins and all their randomness is what really got me into O&G in the first place, so with out them I would probably be playing some other boring army.

For me I like to run my Squig Hoppers in a unit of 9 formed up on a custom base that looks like an X's and O's grid with a 1/2'' gap in between each model. This way they are easy to move, plus the dimensions are perfect; you are neither formed up too long, or too deep. An obvious bonus of having more SH in one unit is you can take a couple of wounds from shooting or magic (and not worry about a panic check) and still get you maximum attacks in when you slam into a flank of some infantry block.

There isn't too much to say about a Squig Herd. I always take a unit of 10 in my Night Goblin list but that is just because they can be fun to watch them explode and to fit with the fluff of my army. Normally though I consider them to take up a valuable special slot that I think another unit of 9 SH, a second squig chariot, or another squig lobba could fill in more effectively.

Giants are great for Night Goblin lists, they are the only thing that is somewhat reliable (up until combat of course) and causes some beautiful terror.

All in all, you wont be disappointed with the amount of times you will be disappointed by your NG performance However you will be surprised in those games when everything goes perfectly i.e. no animosity, good leadership checks, you don't net yourself, giants attack the way you want them too, squigs and fanatics move the amount you want them to, and fanatics move where you want them to. WAAAGH!
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

+ Reply to Thread