Starter Set - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starter Set

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starter Set

im a high elf player but i think i need something less regimented so im thinking of doing some orcs and goblins
    i have a 2000 high elf army so im thinking of matching that in orcs then dunno what

but i wanted to know if the starter set was retarded as it says it can make 20 night goblins (im gonna refer to as NG from now on) with bows and 40 with spears

my main question is.... as i thought NG's and goblins in general main use was to shoot does anyone know if you can indeed make 60 NG's with bows
    this sounds rath stupid now i think of if but i dunno maybe some with hand weapons aswell im just mainly curious of 3 things

1. are the weapons set as in you can only make them into 40 spears and 20 bows

2. what is recommended for the goblin part of any army? and does this meet it?

3. is this starter set worth it or would i be better off buying the army or battlain pack instead considering the started lacks orcs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Well the transition for HE, to O&G is probably as extreme as you could possibly go I think And as a NG player, you will find your old race HE, to be your toughest opponent!

Anyways, the Battle for Skull Pass comes with 20 NG bowmen and 40 NG spearmen, 12 spider riders, plus a shaman, and a troll. What do you want your army to consist of is the big question though. Like I said earlier, I am a NG player, and I ended up buying two of the BFSP sets since it would give me almost 3 nice sized blocks of spearmen, 2 blocks of 20 archers, 24 spiders riders, plus 2 trolls and 2 shamans, a great start to a horde army (if I hadn't already had a bunch of old NG stuff, I would have bought 3)!

With NG you would only ever want to take one block of 20 bowmen and maybe 2 (if you have 60 free points) in a standard 2k pts. game. They are only really effective as a cheap flank guard or if there are is a large target to shoot at, even then you only have 16'' range, so if it's a flyer you are shooting, you could get charged the next turn but its usually a good sacrifice. I usually go with HW+S or Spears+Shields for my NG units, since the BFSP comes with lots of spear men, it isn't a problem. The only thing you are lacking from the boxed sets for your NG block units are nets and fanatics. Well the fanatics are a easy problem to solve, just go buy the fanatics set. However, the nets are a little trickier since they only come in the regiment sets now. Since I had so many NG and no nets (they weren't good in 6th ed.), and did not feel like buying even more NG, I bought the old netter figs. Check into your local shop to see if they could order you some. Keep in mind that they look like 6th ed. NG though!

In general, if you are going for a mostly NG 2k list, you will want around 4-6 blocks of 25-35 NG spearmen+shields or HW+shields. The extra NG bowmen fill in the middle blocks of your spearmen blocks nicely and no one really notices, so don't worry about what to do with all the extra bowmen. And finally, if you are a NG fan, the BFSP is a steal and definitely worth picking up.
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks that was pretty much exactly what i needed to hear =]
    i do have 1 more question and i hope i get as good a reply as the last question

for a mixed possibly more heavily orc list considering i am going to 2k would the battalion box be a good choice instead or would you suggest both?

only i dont want to find myself overly laddened with lots of things im not going to use.
    however i guess for a similar price to buying both i could get the army box, im really not sure. so what would you all suggest?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

If you wanted to go orc heavy, your best bet would be to buy the army box and 2 battalion boxes. This will pretty much fill up your core and special choices. You will then need to buy a regiment of orcs to beef up the existing units (19 ocrs doesn't cut it, and you should be running at least 3 units of 25 in infantry lists) any extra orcs can be blended into the black orc unit to beef them up too. You will also need some rare choices. Since you have no artillery and if you would like to save some money, you could get a couple of doom divers. They are not the best artillery but can be great against single characters, knights, and fast cav. After that you will need a couple of mages and one more character on a boar. IMO its a must to have both your general and BSB on a boar to up their survivability and add to their flexibility. This obviously is a problem as the only characters you will be getting from the army box is one or the other on foot, and the other on the boar. To solve this, I recommend looking around for a old blister packaged orc hero on a boar, and build the BSB to ride the boar from the characters you get in the army box. The only things you would be wasting is some of the spider riders. It's really a shame that all 3 sets come with spider riders, if it wasn't for that you would pretty much be able to use everything that you got. No wolf riders isn't really a big problem as the pros and cons are pretty even, but the fact is you will never want to have more than 20 (4x5) units of fast cav in a 2k list, they just become to expensive and steal points from other places.

What I am recommending will get you into the 2k points range at as good as cost as you can, but you are suffering from the inability to use the things that make your O&G games a lot more memorable, such as squig hoppers, giant squigs, squig herders, pump wagons, trolls, giants...but these are all things you can slowly upgrade too
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks thats really useful, but based on your recommendation totaling £200 im a little intimidated so may get it is seperare lumps
    im tempted to get the starter set and battlion first because i recond i could get half the money back from the starter set with sale of the dwarfs so thats only like £20 it would cost in total, and then £50 so only £70 and i get all the goblins im likely to use and some orcs tho i accept at this early stage i would be lacking a great many orcs, but saving money and subsequently i could save money afterwards and buy the army box later and maybe a battlion with it
    what do u think? recon its a reasonable compramise?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Ya, I was just letting you know what you would need for a majority of orcs 2k list, but if you were to go smaller and more NG, I would definitely recommend the BFSP and Battalion box, plus a character kit for your heros. You would get everything you need minus artillery. And if you could sell those dwarfs then nothing is stopping you!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as you have been amazing at helping me soo far....i dont suppose you could fix my last question.....i know there are sites out there that sell products at like 20% less then GW do
    anyone know any where i can buy stuff online?

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

It would be polite to rep oceanwolf if you haven't already.

for buying in bits, may i reccomend:
    The starter set (Or skull Pass) giving you lots of gobbos (and rules. swap / trade dwarves if possible)
    A Battalion
    Fanatics and a box o' Orcs.

now, I personally feel very much against getting another box "deal" after your first batallion - There is a bit of financial saving, but at this point you have 20 spider riders - you don't need 30, so there is quite the opposite of savings whichever set you get next.

However, that'll give you quite enough to start with, and get a feel of the army with (Or, should it be disasterous, it won't be a hideous financial loss)

For sites, where are you? UK ? US ? Azerbijan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

As stayscrunchyinmilk has mentioned, it really depends on where you live to find a site that is worth buying from. I've used chaosorc.com and miniwargaming.com before but that was in Canada and the U.S., and I ordered enough so they payed for my shipping.

PS - Thanks for the rep, glad I could help

+ Reply to Thread