Viability of pure night goblin goodness - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Viability of pure night goblin goodness

hey guys,
    im a little curious on how well a pure night goblin army would go. the kind of army i was thinking includes:
    -skarsnik and gobbla
    -couple shaman caddies or bosses for the occasional wound
    -3 or 4 big goblin units (like 35-40) with netters and fanatics
    -a few smaller boblin units (25-30)
    -a couple spear chuckers and a rock lobba
    -a nice squig herd and some squig hoppers
    -a giant or some trolls or maybe even a doom diver catapult.

how would something like this go? the one thing that scares me is the average leadership of 7, so all itll take is 1 lost combat and chances are ill break and run. however i will have the magic instant +5 combat res.
    i think an army like this would look amazing on the table, but its one thing having an awesome looking army, its heaps better if youve got an awesome looking army that sometimes wins.
    so i guess my question is would giant blocks of infantry be enough to stand against the heavier armies of the warhammer world?
    preemptive cheers for all the advice/opinions that are going to be coming!

When in doubt, more Bloodcrushers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once played an all night goblin army (it was 2000pts). Which had maxed out on spear chuckers as well as huge units of around 30-40 with fanatics. I was playing as Empire and i was shot to pieces and when i got within charging range the fanatics ripped everything to shreds, both his army and mine, but by the last turn i did not have any army left.

As long as your basic infantry blocks outnumber the enemies basic infantry they should be able to hold up long enough for your trolls and giant to flank and kick some ass! Your leadership is low but shear numbers usually make up for that.

I am not familiar with Goblin characters so i can't comment.

So my advice is to, well, max out on spear chuckers and infantry!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was originally going to do a pure NG army. Yes max out on the Bolt throwers (2 of them take one space), maybe some snotling pump wagons and dont forget you need loads of infantry than just get defensive shammys.

Loads of fanatics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive got a 2000pts night gobbos army with skarsnik as the general and i think its a awesome army just put him and a bsb night gobbo with bad moon an stick in a big regiment and you’ll have Ld 8 stubborn break tests

other than that Squig herds/hoppers, sper chuckas, fanatics and doom divers and big blocks of infantry are your friends (well most of the time )
    "The next time I do fight,
    I'll make death love me; for I will contend
    Even with his pestilent scythe."
    Atony & Cleopatra Scene XIII

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Pure NG armies are fun, and definitely viable in friendly games atleast (if a little unreliable, but thats all part of the fun!)

Skarsnik is one of the few special characters i don't mind facing so long as he is in a themed (NG) army, and he is pretty sweet

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

How's this for a helping hand?

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-tut-comp.html (Night Goblin army tutorial (Tut comp))

It's my thoughts on the matter. Since writing that I've had a few other ideas. I'm considering (but haven't yet) fielding a regular goblin unit (NG models, though) to get slightly higher Ld is one unit as well as better armour. I'm going to call them the Li'l Immortulz and they'll be a body-guard for my general. The extra armour and Ld is handy but it does mean no nets or fanatics in that unit. Tough call. I'd also consider a regular goblin general just for the extra one point of leadership at the cost of the moral high ground and the ability to use Mushrooms.

For the list you mentioned, it looks good. I usually try for a couple of dispel monkeys as shamen but also fitting in a general, BSB (essential!) and maybe a giant cave squig makes it tricky.

Trolls are amusing but hopeless. They need at least average leadership to even take part in the game and that means staying neat the general- which will push a goblin unit out of range. Bad. On the other hand I have considered a couple of stone trolls as bodyguards for a shaman, just as long as they actually wander vaguely towards the enemy. It's the immunity to fear and the Magic Resistance that has my interest.

Don't forget pump-wagons!!!
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

night goblin armies are HILARIOUS!!!

fanatics work brilliantly!

however in my experience snotling pump wagons just aren't worth the points, these are better spent on spear chukkas, fanatics, nets and wolf riders or squigs.
    I haven't played a 2000 pt all night gobbo army at the moment but have played many 1k games. so far I have discovered that the night gobbos can take on just about anything and come out on top.

just don't expect them to do everything that you want because chances are they will fail animosity, run away or their fanatics will turn on your own units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i run a NG army and i havnt lost at 2000points yet. i play alot of warriors of chaos, but fanatics take care of that
    I need to get some spear chukka's though just because theyre cheap and cheerful =]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now after a lot of um-ing and ahh-ing, ive actually decided to start taking this idea seriously. thanks for all the help fellas, and TPM, that tute was awesome. thanks a heap
    When in doubt, more Bloodcrushers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a NG army game last friday, first time i've used a list like that. It worked fairly well.

I took Skarsnik for his Ld, the horn of urgok, and Rowdy's Red banner ( BSB ) for re-rolling panic. It's worth trying out for a laugh, can be good fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast