How to beat dark elves? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to beat dark elves?

Any idea's on this?

His usual army consists of Maticore and War Hydra to fighten my poor gobbo's off the table, harpies to trigger any fanatics, hero's that just punch through a unit with hatred and 5 + D3 attacks at strength 7 that just collapses my battle line.

Out of about 10 games I've only beaten him twice, once when a unit of night goblin held up a same sized unit of corsairs for 4 turns, and once when I got the Waaagh spell off 4 turns in a row. These 2 games he didn't bring any monster for once and now he builds his sorc's not for combat but to soley cancel any Waaagh spell.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

Well you can use bolt throwers for any monsters, chariots against anything that might have always strike first, the goblin brimstone bauble is good too because DE have small units. It doesn't sound too bad if you've actually won some games since DE are so powerful. I'll give some guys I know who play DE a game, they're pretty good so i'll probably get smashed but learn something at least.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    113 (x3)

Lots of units and you need savage orcs or spear chuckas to take care of the monsters. If he plays the death star unit you mideas well ture evreything around and walk off the table cause you just going to get mad. if ypu realy want to throw him for a loop try deploying on the table edge so his harpies and drak riders cant reach you first turn and go hevey shoting and magic to drop his monsters and fast stuff in short order then run your fanatics down the squishy elfs throt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The key to defeating Dark Elves is to identify what they perceive as your weaknesses. Dark Elves are like a razor sharp scalpel - If you know what you're doing and you use everything effectively and in union then they will slice through anything. If you're an idiot (as I was when I started Dark Elves) then they'll make you look like a complete moron.

When I play my Druchii against my mate's Night Goblin army I know his biggest weakness is his lack of leadership so I take Hydras, Manticores, Cold Ones etc etc (or I would but I don't 'cos I'd rather have a good game than just be guaranteed a win).

The way to counter this is to disrupt what the Dark Elves want to do. Doom Divers keep me up at knight (Str5 hits with no armour save is the bane of Cold One Knights everywhere), Spear Chukkas//Bolt Throwers are reasonably effective at taking out our monsters (though watch for the Hydra's Regeneration) and nothing makes that invincible Dreadlord pause for thought like a couple of Giants heading his way. Also, make sure you take a lot of Squig Hoppers as they won't be effected by the psychology rules on which Druchii thrive.

Finally, fanatics. Oh sweet fanatics. If I get a whiff or fanatics then I'm sending in the harpies first so make sure you don't bunch your units so they can all be activated by one 55pt expendable unit. That said, keep your fanatics hidden as long as possible, preferably until that Manticore drops next to you, then give him 3D6 Str5 hits w/out armour saves.

Fighting Dark Elves will be a hard, punishing uphill struggle but you can do it and win, it just requires you to be as cheesey as you think he's being

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I got 'im being all tricksy!!

2 x NG Shaman 2 dispel scrolls
    1 x Grom the Paunch (the key player here)
    1 x NG Hero

2 x 20 NG FC, Spears, Nets, 2 Fanatics
    1 x 20 NG FC, Nets 2 Fanatics
    1 x 20 NG with Bows
    4 x 5 Spider Riders
    2 x 2 Wolf Riders

2 x Wolf Chariot
    2 x 10 Squig Hoppers

4 x Snotling Pump Wagon

He had

1 x Lord with 1+ armor and pendant of kealth (smells like cheese!!)
    1 x 5 COK FC
    2 x 5 DR FC rxb's
    2 x 20 spearmen
    1 x 15 exectioners
    1 x 5 harpies
    1 x 5 shades GW
    2 x repeater bolt throwers

so he gives me first turn and I run 5 units of the fast cav up the right hand side, the wolf chariots and grom straight towards the repeater bolt throwers supported by 2 units night goblins. The pump wagons head up the left side supported by 1 unit of night goblins. Pretty much no damage done my first turn

His first turn, charged a pump wagon with his fast cav releasing 2 fanatics, knowing the life expectancy of the pump wagon I delegated to throw a fanatic behind it as well as one infront of his spearmen, pump wagon fled and was caught and destroyed but then the dark riders landed in the fanatic killing them and the fanatic in a flail of horse legs and chains.

From that point on I had him completely outmanuevered with my 6 units of fast cav and grom.

His lord got the charge on Grom who was busy munching sorcesses, his ward and regeneration seeing him through the hits with no wounds. Not thinking anything was happening, swung his axe over his shoulder catching the lord splitting his skull in 2 without trying in the first round of combat even with the pendant.

+ Reply to Thread