Welcome to Librarium Online!
I've been thinking for a while of how to make the most of the spider banner, I think it has a lot of potential. I was thinking mount the battle standard bearer in a wolf chariot and light armour for a better AS, then start him in a unit of archers maybe. Either that or, if it would work, have him join a spear chukka then move on to the archers when they're in range. Then, if you staggered 2 archer units, move on to the further back one to maximise shots. Finally move in to a close combat unit. To make this as strong as possible though, I have a few questions:
1) Would the spear chukka idea work with poisoned shots/ can a character on a chariot join a war machine?
2) How big should units of archers be to maximise shots?
3) Which unit for close combat: wolf riders to try and get the charge or just goblins seeing as wolf riders would be S4 with spears anyway?
4) Would spears with goblins be good to get more poisoned attacks or go for better AS and cheaper with just hand weps ?
5) Are you allowed to add crew and steed on a characters chariot?
6) Would someone be willing to play test this, I haven't got the models at moment ?
Sorry for the long post, thanks
depending on whom you are up against of course. If you are up against an army that you need to advance on, then your BSB is going to have to stay on the move in order to get in range. If you are staying back and letting them come to you, remember that I believe your front rank can still fire without penalty even if reforming. So if you have 20 strong and are in two ranks of 10 and need to reform because the enemy is nearly in charge range, do it.2) How big should units of archers be to maximise shots?again contingent on whom you are playing. If they are high T enemies, you probably want your regular gobbos in the grounds that you are going to be making more roles with them.3) Which unit for close combat: wolf riders to try and get the charge or just goblins seeing as wolf riders would be S4 with spears anyway?in theory with a WS of 2, your not going to match up well with most armies so you want more attacks so you can roll more dice so you can get more 6's. so I would say spears.4) Would spears with goblins be good to get more poisoned attacks or go for better AS and cheaper with just hand weps ?You lose 1 crew member whenever you put a character on a chariot. Unless it gives you the option of having more, you can't. If the rule book says you can add more crew to it, then of course. But you still lose that first model that the character replaces without cost.5) Are you allowed to add crew and steed on a characters chariot?I don't use O&G so sorry.6) Would someone be willing to play test this, I haven't got the models at moment ?
Sorry for the long post, thanks
Remember that one weakness I see is that if you fail an ANIMOSITY test, and you attack your own side that the poisoned attacks will be affecting your own troops.
Before I dive into your questions let's figure out what we want to use poison against. We like poison when our unit has low str vs enemy toughness. We really like when enemy is without armor.
1. Not sure if it would work or not. But who cares. Str vs Tough bolt thrower has str 6 on the first shot. Plenty of punch to hurt a giant, dragon, spawn, etc. And totally wasted on rank and file. There is no armor save vs bolt throwers, so use it on knights and dragons.
2. You can have as big a front as you like. I would try to get your shootas into 2 ranks and put them on a hill so you can fire from both ranks. But you're wasting your BSB if he's chilling in a shooting unit.
3. I would not put my BSB in a flanker unit. I want him in a big block of Gobos, 35 or more.
4. If I'm going to drop 50 points on banner I'm going to get the most out of it I can. Spears.
6. I will if I get a chance to play. New baby and new job.
If I were to try and implement this I think I would go with a block at least 6 if not 7 wide of 40ish Night Gobos w/spears. I would also give them full com, netters, and the Fan boyz. I would also concider putting an additional gobo big boss with Sword of Attack and maybe The Battle Brew.
To quote Jim Carry "Fiction can be fun." Dude where did you get this information from? If you made it up on the fly then you need to not post as serous advice. If you heard it from someone then tell them to read the BRB and/or the Army book, and you should check your source.
Otherwise thanks, especially about testing=rep
Look at the unit equipment options. For regular gobos you can either have bows or spears for one point per fig. Night gobos you can have spears for 1 point per fig or exchange bows and shields. so you can't have both.
How would it be a waste. Well your BSB is going to do his best work if he's moving along with the rest of your battle line. And if you're fielding an all shotty O&G army... I would concider changing armies.
What I put forward is just my ideas that I've reached through logic and playing this army. If there's anyone who has some different insight please put it here!
"1) Can a character on a chariot join a war machine?"
A character on a chariot can only join units of chariots.
spider banner, fantastic. i like to put him in a unit of about 40 NG with spears (full command + netters + 2 fanatics), still on their own the NG are not good for killing, so 1 goblin lord ( armour of mork/gork , best basha, ..) and big boss (additional hand wepean, ..) in the front row will kill without mercy. practically you will have a unit which before fighting will do some damage b'cose of the fanatics, the netters reducing the enemy strength, good number of attacks from characters and some from the 2nd row ... all poison, mmm. it works well for me. (sorry for my english)
wow you will need a third character in there to use the spider banner.
( char with spider banner may not use other items except light armour)
three characters in one unit is just asking for trouble :p
( nobody in the right mind will attack that unit in the front). spears dont work to the sides, you wont have rankbonusses and your characters will probly not do the fighting
yes, in fact 3 characters are in the same unit (i know its risky). to protect my flanks i generally put this unit between 2 units of squig herds ( 5 teams or +).