Wolf Riders Spider Banner - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wolf Riders Spider Banner

I had an idea for a combo in which the spider banner may possibly be used effectively, but I'm yet to try it out. This combo is probably best reserved for an all-gobbo army:

Take a Goblin Warboss mounted on a wolf. Equip him with Ulag's akrit axe, Bigged's kickin' boots, Tricksy Trinket (optional) and anything else that takes your fancy. Also take a unit of 9 or 10, maybe 11 Wolf Riders with Spears and Shields i.e the closest goblins can get to 'heavy cavalry.' Give them a standard with the Spider Banner.

The idea is that the goblin warboss is now re-rolling 5 poisoned attacks, and if needs be he is still strong enough to stray from the unit and do his own thang with 5 WS 5 S4 or 5 attacks. I guess you could give him Shaga's as an alternative to Ulag's and the boots but that makes the poisoned attacks a little redundant as he wouldn't need auto-wound with the strength bonus.

The only thing that's holding me back from thinking this is a great combo is that well...they're just goblins. I'm always slightly reluctant to give any goblin regiment a banner as they're so prone to fleeing, and splashing out an extra 50 points just for it to get potentially captured is a little off-putting, although I suppose with the warboss in the unit then LD 8 is nothing to be sniffed at, and a BSB with the Raggedy banner nearby could further reinforce them.

What do you think? Would Ulag's work better with the gnasha's on a Savage Warboss perhaps and just scrap the banner entirely? Or perhaps you think that this whole combo won't be as effective as it sounds.

C&C please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

I don't think it will be as effective as you feel. Its a lot of points being poured into one basket and that's a risk for such poor fighters. I do like the gobbo medium cav idea, I was very tempted to do it myself for a long time, and I think a large block of wolf riders has potential, bbut super-gobbos often just die. You're better off kitting them out cheap and deadly rather than going for the combo. (Spiteful shield plus [G/M]ork'll fix it IS a nasty viable combo though.)
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I think the fact that it's so expensive is it's downfall. Still, worth a shot perhaps, just for funsies!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

this little move will cost you both a battlebanner and a big boss in a 9" cavalry unit
    either your banner will be far away from your general or your general will be in this unit and thus far away from the rest of the army. Goblins like their generals leadership (and battlebanner)
    also, 50 points for about 10 goblin attacks to be poisoned, means you roll two 6 es... thats not worth 50 pts :p

how about using a big unit of goblin spearmen instead? could be the very centre of your battleline, and 6 or 7 wide will mean up to 12 poisoned spearattacks PLUS the 2 characters also poisoned...
    add static combat resolution and you have some proper fightingtools, can take both max armored goblins, or night goblins with nets and fanatix
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds like it'd be alot more efficient. Much less likely to break/panic also through sheer numbers. I'm a big fan of Night Goblin bricks so I could esily get it into an army.

Although is it worth taking it on a BSB? I think it'd make more sense to take a survivable BSB on a wolf with the best boss 'at and then stick the spider banner on the unit standard.

This is cool, I'm imagining this on a 7x7 NG brick, whaddya think?

+ Reply to Thread