Trolls Vs Giant - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trolls Vs Giant

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Trolls Vs Giant

I am a new ONG player. I know full well that with my terrible leadership I need to have atleast one fear/terror causing/immune unit. the best looks like it is either the troll unit or a single giant. im thinking of bying a giant, but i am not completely unsold on trolls.

the giant is certainly cheaper than a unit of 3 trolls, and looks like it can really really mess up whatever it gets next to. the trolls are certainly harder to kill, get more attacks, and both troll types seem pretty solid.

but the thing i can not get past is simply the stupidity/ld 4 combo. once the general gets pwned (which he will) the trolls are forced to just stupid about the whole game unless you can manage a 4 or less on 2 dice. they seem to be pretty solid, but they are expensize as crap, and will simply lose combat on rank bonus alone unless you can get a flank charge.

the giant, however, just comes up to a unit and says "i don't know what i am going to do, but you are not going to like it." even if they manage to kill it, it falls down and they explode.

what are other people's thoughts on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

first off, im gobbos and i use doomdivers alll the way :p

for trolls: 4 leadership is too low, if you dont have a general with ldshp 8+ they wont be moving alot. If you have high leadership general like a blackorc warboss, trolls should definetly be worth their points, they can soak up hits like no other orcsish mobs can, so make a very tough unit in your centre!
    Just dont lose that general please

giants are a bit more maneuverable and make them popular for hunting big bad guys or attacking a flank.

So id say, these units are very different. so different that you should have a tactic before choosing whichof these two makes most sense

i think giants are used more over all.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

the way my army works is i take a large mob of black orcs supported by 2 large goblin mobs with fanatics protecting it's flanks. then I send 2 big mobs of boyz up to either ram the flanks of whatever is beating up my gobbos/black orcs, engage my opponents less than agressive squads, and just generally be a mass of sharp objects. Behind them I have a minimum sized unit of gobbo archers shooting people,
    Then I have 3 chariots drive around back and eat war machines, chew through wizard units, mess with frenzied guys, and kill stuff.

I have absurd magic resistance (8 dispell dice), plenty of models to win by attrition alone, a beast of a general (the black ork with basha, boots, shield, heavy armor, and boar), a decent bit of ranged shenanagins in the way of shamans/fast guys/archers but what i do not have is ANY way to handle fear/terror. I can easily find a way to squeeze either a giant or a troll mob in.

I am definietely thinking the giant will do me best. the 4 armies i will be playing the most are Daemons, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, and Chaos Dwarfs.

Does anyone here really like the trolls? If so, how many do you usually run?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

I've been experimenting with them a bit and have come to the conclusion that 3 plus is the best number. They may be a big point sink but its also a lot of points your opponent will have trouble getting. A nice trick is putting some type of orc character in the unit giving the character decent protection and ensuring the trolls get better ld for stupidity. I played several games with them where they did nothing but wander round aimlessly, but they are always alive at the end of the game

p.s. I normally make mine stone trolls, lot of magic about........
    "Knights had no meaning in this game. This wasn't a game for knights."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting a Character in a unit of Trolsl will limit their movement, can you put a Orc Big Boss in with the Troll on a Boar to keep up with them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

oh yeah, as far as I'm aware the only restrictions are if a character is on a flying mount it can't join units and if they're on a chariot they can only join units of chariots. An orc on a boar would be best, although I did once try putting a goblin shaman on foot in with them which didn't go too badly
    "Knights had no meaning in this game. This wasn't a game for knights."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll take a Giant over trolls anyday. A terror causing, movement 6 beast that will go where you want *every* turn of the game? Yes please in an O+G list.

+ Reply to Thread