Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I want to take 1 or 2 cheap units of night goblins, how should I run them? with nets? how many fanatics, banners worth it? spears worth the extra cost?
Perhaps one unit of 20 with bows, musician and 1 fantatic and one unit of 25 with nets, musician, banner, spears and 1 fantatic? Sound ok?
've little experience with them so I would like some advice.
I'm no expert with Night Goblins, but I would personally choose to take 3 Fanatics in each unit and at least Standard Bearer and Musician. Possibly not a Boss as 8pts for one extra WS2 S3 attack doesn't sound that good. Nets are useful, removing attacks from the enemy could tie them up for longer or help you to win combats. Finally, make the unit as big as possible, 30 is a good number but more is perfectly fine as well if you want that.
My last battle i was massacred by chaos dwarfs, mostly by stupidiy on my own part.
but still i have an oppinion :p
- Spears: i rarely see spears put to good use, because they lower your own shieldsave, and dont give much back.
When my goblins enter combat, im counting on them not to kill more then 1 badguy. "doubling" their attacks wont really affect it. 1 point per model may sound cheap, but in great numbers it adds up.
- Standards if you equip your goblin units with standards, it suddenly becomes important wether they die or not. Thats risky. Without standard, you can sacrifice units to your army's advantage, with a standard, every unit becomes a potential gamewinner for your enemy
So i only use standards in the more expensive goblin units (35-40, fc, 2 fanatics, sometimes netters). They really need the standard for the static combat resolution of 5
- Fanatics: 1 or two is almost allways a well spent upgrade. 3 is expensive. If the unit never makes it to combat, it will be a slap in the face.
- Netters: Netters are meant for the tanking units. Goblins are cheap, and upgrades like these can do good work, but its a waste to take too many netters, theyre not cheap (goblinwise)
- Cheapest units: i like units of 25 goblin archers. They can protect a flank against skirmishers and flyers , but most of all they are my best units to shoot at large targets or uphill. keep in mind, if theres a large target about, or uphilled target, you get to fire all your ranks. 25 shortbows will do some damage even against giants.
i allways add a musician, costs less then 5 extra. and the leadership will be welcome
add a fanatic and youl be on 104 points for a good flankdefender
- Expensive units: no extra weapons no nothing, for 190 you get a full unit 40 gobbos with commandgroup, 2 fanatics. Thats a massive unit, will forever have its +5 combat resolution, and can even drop the fanatics from back of the unit (directed to the front) so that the enemy stops on your fans and gets hit bad
Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs