Two basic questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two basic questions

Just trying to understand a few things and require your greater experience if someone can help.

Sorry if this is a daft question but; Do magic weapons automatically make magical attacks? I had been playing not because some choices state if they do, ie upgrades in chaos armies, but there aren;t many of them so i'm not sure. Either way the rule book isn't clear and i'd rather be playing the right way.

Also the skull wand of kaloth states that on all hits caused by the weapon enemies are required to take an LD test and if they fail are automatically slain!! Is that to be taken at face value? Or does slain really mean 'lose a wound'. I only ask because it seems phenomenal that you take a savage ork shaman, have two attacks and only ever require a 5 or 6 to hit and therefore have a one in three chance with both rolls to make the lord (i.e blood thirster) take an ld roll, which in turn gives a 1 in 6 chance of them being slain outright!!

thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumbling Kastellan View Post
    Just trying to understand a few things and require your greater experience if someone can help.

Sorry if this is a daft question but; Do magic weapons automatically make magical attacks?
    Yes. Except for magical ranged weapons.

Also the skull wand of kaloth states that on all hits caused by the weapon enemies are required to take an LD test and if they fail are automatically slain!! Is that to be taken at face value? Or does slain really mean 'lose a wound'.
    If it meant lose a wound, it would say so. Slain is exactly what you think it is.

And while you can take a bloodthirster out with it, you've got to get the jump on a model with a 20" move. And if you fail, you're in a whole world of pain.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

I've often toyed with the idea of taking the skull wand. I've never quite convinced myself, though. It sounds dead cool but it would mean your shaman is in combat (bad) and most multi-wound enemies will have reasonable leadership. It's be great for bashing something like trolls but that's a pretty limited market.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been thinking and reckon a mounted shaman with the skull wand could have his uses. Teamed up/coordinated with a hero/lord they would make a useful dragon slaying unit. With 5 wounds and toughness 5 a zombie dragon for instance can be a handful, but with ws 6 and only a ld of 4 the skull wand would work wonders just killing the dragon and leaving the mount for orc character to beat up.

You'd need a 4,5 or 6 to hit, which is a 50% chance and then over 50% that the dragon would fail the ld test!

Once again your in the territory of having to get the jump on the dragon, which is easier said than done but if your opponent likes to use dragons as a warmachine hunter then you could set up a bit of protection.

I tend to play armies with solid defensive magic and have to hope on rolling double 6's to get any spells off so my shamans have rarely done much for me anyway. Reckon this guy would be a good surprise!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

In an allcomers list I wouldn't bother using the skull wand because it usually ends up being a waste of a shaman to make it combat oriented, but a while back me and my friend played a fun 3k pts. game and I put my shaman on a wyvern with the skull wand and kickin' boots (I didn't want the savage because he would get pulled too easily being on a wyvern). My friend was playing VC with 4 zombie dragons and lets just say my shaman killed 4 zombie dragons
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

The easier and cheaper way to take out monsters is to use a bunch of bolt throwers. At close range you're hitting on 3's, and one is bound to wound eventually. You can also position them to control where the Big Scary Monsters go.

And your Skull Wand wielding shaman will feel rather daft if he runs into an Obsidian Armour-wearing Bloodthirster...Wand? What wand?

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

+ Reply to Thread