Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey I'm not really a Fantasy player first off. I know how to play pretty well, I'm familiar with many of the armies because Fantasy is just as big at my shop as 40k. My 40k army is mostly done now minus painting and I've recently been thinking about a Fantasy foray.
I don't like many WFB armies but I love love LOVE Night Goblins, have for years. I think it'd be awesome to have an army of them, even if they aren't nearly as good as the new Chaos Books or some other armies. So basically have a few questions:
1. How hard is an all Night Gobbo army to use? I'm a pretty good player but there's always those REALLY hard to play armies.
2. How often would an all Night Gobbo army win? I don't really care if I win with it a lot because the army is just so random that the stories it generates are worth it. Still wondering though.
3. Is such an army fun to play? I'm a very competitive player for 40k but I'd rather just have fun with Fantasy, gotta have a break sometimes. Just the randomness the army can put out seems like a good time to me.
Thanks for reading my newbie post, anything you guys have to say is appreciated.
No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!
Some of us are Lazy Monkeys. :]
Night Goblins are (one of) the most unreliable and random armies released by Games Workshop. There ARE many, many models to paint but often, they are easy to paint in batches.
1. Night Goblins can be simple or, more often, require a large amount of finesse. A large amount of their tactics involve finagling units to release Fanatics at the right target at the right time.
Their low Leadership is often a problem so keeping them intact can often be difficult.
2. Night Goblins armies usually win through Combat Res. Their troops can really hurt anything, with some exceptions, and are fairly easy to kill. A block of 30 with a Full Command has a static Res of 5, so often don't need to kill anything.
Units like Squig Herds, Squig Hoppers (note the recurring theme...), and Fanatics are excellent for either removing a rank from a large unit or to demolish small units.
3. To say that playing Night Goblins is fun is an understatement; they are the most hilarious army and will often blow themselves up (look at their Miscast table!). Mind you, to fully enjoy Night Goblins, you have to enjoy watching your army spontaneously explode and then run away.
In short, Night Goblins are great fun to play. The only neccessity is to take everything humourously and you will be fine. Have fun!
Armies: (Chaos) Space Marines [1250pts], O&G [2250 pts], OK [1000pts]
Da face of Mork looks down on the Gobbers of da Bwoo Moon, da bestest Gobbos eva.
That's basically what I'm into. I get enough wins in 40k I'd rather use a Fantasy army for hilarity. I was considering Skaven but you can get Night Gobbos soooooooooooooo cheap and I've always loved green skins.
No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!
That is basically what I'm going with ym 40k army, except you didn't dip because you didn't really need too. Easy and retard friendly (me).
I approve of such things.
Night gobbos are only helpful to me when i realese my fanatics at my enemy's toughest unit because fanatics deal a whopping d6 str 5 ap hits each! I tried this on a unit of blood nights and kill 3! (but i guest that was just luck).the squig herds are pretty good, i managed to be charged by a unit of dwarf warriors win and cut them down and only losing a herder,Snarsnik isn't a very promising lord imo because even he fears elves unlike Grom. The actual night gobbos are rubbish, but if you got about 100 night gobbo archers (300 points) 100 str 3 hits is got to kill something right.Hope this helps.
I'm actually very into Skarsnik. His Bound Item can really hurt an army without much magic protection and he's really good in CC on the charge, nice LD as well. He's a bit pricey but it's a Lord choice so oh well.
The ability to flee archers and rally than shoot them seems good as well. The Reserve thing I doubt will change a game but hey, maybe it snags a good unit once in awhile.
I have a 2000 point night goblin army. They are difficult to play well and often self-destruct but when played well they can be surprisingly strong and can compete with the op armies like WOC or VC.
The key thing about night goblins is that they are unpredictable, now this often screws you but it just as often screws your opponent. There are a few dirty little tricks you can learn.
Here are a few.
Launch fanatics from the rear of your unit, through your own unit, you lose some gobs... who cares? the fanatics end up one inch in front of your unit, the charging chaos nights end there move on them and suffer 2 d6 hits from each fanatic as opposed to 1 d6 each.. bye bye knights.
The same can be done with trolls, put trolls in front, launch fanatics though the trolls who will be fine (regen + good toughness) and nobble the unit charging the trolls, the look on an opponents face when your wipe out his entire unit of grail knights, instantly for the lose of 8 4 point goblins is priceless.
Squig hoppers can do huge ammounts of damage, fighting vc? vamp heroes getting youo down? bounce into the unit and direct 6 str 5 ws 4 attacks on him, chances are he will die.
Treeman or big scary unit giving you jip? Use a night goblin on a giant squig with one hit wunda and bauble, attack with 3 str 10 attacks, 3 str 5 attacks then die to the return attacks, explode and do d6 str 6 magical flaming attacks and wipe them out. You can kill treemen, treemen lords, tombkings, knights, chariots, steam tanks, dragons, almost anything with the above combo.
Dwarfs beating you in close combat? squigs and hoppers hate them and re-roll their ws 4 str 5 attacks vs them, you can chew your way through an entire ranked unit without to much trouble.
Dont forget the easy acess to cheap and potent warmachines, 35 point bolt throwers and doom divers, possibley the best warmachine in the game for thier cost.
There are 3 Main problems with a Night Goblin army.
1. Leadership - it sucks, bad, you fear lots of things and your trolls go stupid but it can be mitageted, use Skarsnik, use magic banners, use a bsb, shoot the hell out of terror causers (who are NOT the danger to night gobs people think yet are, they land in amongst your unit, chances are they will be dead from fanatics before you have to test for terror next turn) in short it can be managed.
2. Animoisty - somtimes your unit with mage in will squabble screwing your magic phase - bad. On the the other hand, somtimes your unit will run forward 4 inches and then be able to sneak in a charge! so it works both ways, and all greenskin armies suffer it anyways.
3. Random movement - using pump wagons (which rock), hoppers (which also rock, fanatics and giant squigs (which rock most of all) is, by definition random. You have no controll over distence (short of blocking units with other units) this is seen as a bad thing, and yes you will somtimes be 6 inches away and roll three 1's.
But you cant tell how they will move and neither can your opponent, this dirves many people nuts and makes it impossible to plan things neatly, how far away do i put my nights? 14 should be fine its unlikely his hoppers will move that far... oh... bugger....
So i my opinion the key to success with a night goblin army is to use your randomness, feed it, play dirty be so nuts your opponent has no idea hhow to act, where to move ect, people have so many things to take note of when playing a night goblin army, who has fanatics? how far can each thing move? if it Waaaghs will it be in charge range? am i in sight of his many war machines? what mad magic items does that hero have? where are all the fanatics? can that hopper unit move through woods? (yes, they can) ect ect all this in addition to thinking about his/her own units.
There is my two cents
So go for it! they are great fun the ONLY hard bit is painting all the models, oh and dont bother buying warmachines, make em, its fun and costs almost nothing.