Thinking of starting an orc army suggestions please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of starting an orc army suggestions please

Hey everyone. I LOVE the new orc boar boyz models! I really really want to start a calvary heavy, warmachine orc army. My problem here is, Orc boar boyz arent core. To fit the speed of the army, I am having troubles deciding what to run for core. Think I should just do big blocks of boyz and run the boars behind then for screening until they get up the the field? Thats the best I can come up with really for the core choices I am offered. Maybe Just wargh right away to get them all up there asap? So I'm just wondering what core choices you think would work the best with a calvary/warmachine orc army. (Just trying to make something people aren't used to seeing.)

Thank you all very much for your time!

Vampire Counts-4000 Points
    Empire-2250 Points
    Black Templars-2000 Points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

im not used to seeing lots of boars to be honoust, i only have savage orc boars myself =p
    if you go say full with boars, and shaman characters, one on wyvern and some fighting character on chariot/boar, and perhaps a giant and pump wagons, youl have just about enough points to add 3 small units of wolf riders or spiderriders.

shamanlord + wyvern
    2x shaman + boar
    big boss + chariot

3x 5 wolves
    tons of boars
    giant
    2x pump wagons

dunno if that actually breaks though ranks but it would sure look unique on the battlefield...
    Last edited by Digger; May 25th, 2010 at 23:44.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Looking cool and being effective can be mutually exclusive. Boars can work well as flanking units that complement large anvils made up of 20 or more Orc Boyz, or 15 Black Orcz. You could also go the overwhelming route and take a bunch of gobbos to supplement your cool looking Orc Boyz. Of course having fast units is all for naught if you roll a squabble for animosity...
    5000 pts of WoC, 5000 pts of Orcs and now 3000 pts of Ogres...What was I thinking ????

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

that does seem like the best way to go. Supporting infantry blocks.
    a support charge from boars will give you some serious firepower that's hard to get when playing orcs.
    You also have no need to focus your entire strategy around it.

The biggest problem i have with my chariots and boars is my unwillingness to wait for the infantry. They gotst 14" march, why the heck are they waiting for da rest!
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mentioned that your thinking of a cavalry heavy army, a great idea, but as you said, Boar Boyz are not core choices... why not some Goblin Spider Riders or Wolf Riders to fill the core choices?

Spider Riders have a march of 14" and poisoned attacks and give the Goblins riding them bows to provide you with ranged attacks.

Wolf Riders have a march of 18" and the riders have the option to be equiped with spears, giving them the +1 bonus in close combat.

I suggest getting the Battle for Skull Pass box while its available (rumors say the new box is out in September), it gives you 60 Night Goblins, 10 Spider Riders, a troll, and two Night Goblins characters (Shaman and Boss). As I said above, use Spider Riders and Wolf Riders to fill the core slots, but having some infantry will help you hold the line (yeah, Goblins holding the line... I laughed too), and its good to have some slower units behind your cavalry to offer support when needed.

Chariots are a must.

Now onto Warmachines... Spear Chuckas, Rock Lobbas, Doom Divers, they are all good, just make sure if you can, give them an Orc Bully, and 2 Spear Chuckas only take up one special slot, so its worth getting two of them, bolt throwers I've found are fantastic at getting rid of units from afar, so why not get two for the price of one?

Black Orcs are the essential body guard unit for O&G armies, so take a unit to protect your Warmachines from being charged, all O&G warmachines are crewed by Goblins, so in most cases, if your warmachines are charged, you may as well say goodbye to them.

Onto characters. If you choose to take a Shaman (you will, beleive me), a Savage Orc Shaman will be the best choice as wizards cannot wear armor, all Savage Orcs get a 6+ Ward Save due to their Warpaint rule, and put him on a boar give him a 5+ Armor Save. The Staff of Baduum is a great choice of equipment to help with casting spells, that being said, if you plan on placing him in a unit, the Skull Wand of Kaloth is a better choice to get rid of low Ld units in close combat with him.

Thats just a few things that came to mind when I read your post, and I hope some of this helps.

War Boss Ghark
    Stupid people do stupid things
    Smart people outsmart each other
    And I... Play guitar and write folk songs

+ Reply to Thread