ork boyz in 8th edition some questions on how to kit them out - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ork boyz in 8th edition some questions on how to kit them out

HI
    so I have been collecting O & G for some time but because no one playe WHFB i never get to use them , it is a 40 k crowd where i live . but with 8th edition now out ppl are starting to build Fantasy armies now .

so my O & G army will get a chance to knock heads .

my question is on how to equip orcs
    spears and shield , extra hand weapon , or hand weapon and shield

all 3 have advantages now.

if i go spears i get 3 ranks attacking , 4 if i am in a horde formation . if i go extra hand weapon i get extra attack from my front rank but only if i charge but i don't get the benefit of the choppa rule . if i go HW / shield , i get the benefit of the choppa rule and save myself 1 point / model and get a 6+ parry save after my armor save .

I am likely to be fighting small battles for the next bit 750 to 1000 points maybe as high as 1250 but other than my orks the only other army out there that could field a force would be a high elf player . so mostly smaller matches.

any opinions on these combos .

also if i take the extra hand weapon option , can i elect not to use the extra attack and instead take advantage of the choppa rule , if i think that at the time that would be more advantageous ? or do i always have to use the 2 weapons ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    if i go spears i get 3 ranks attacking , 4 if i am in a horde formation . if i go extra hand weapon i get extra attack from my front rank but only if i charge but i don't get the benefit of the choppa rule . if i go HW / shield , i get the benefit of the choppa rule and save myself 1 point / model and get a 6+ parry save after my armor save

also if i take the extra hand weapon option , can i elect not to use the extra attack and instead take advantage of the choppa rule , if i think that at the time that would be more advantageous ? or do i always have to use the 2 weapons ?
    Spears only get the additional rank attacking in the 1st round of combat if you've been charged, after the 1st round you get plenty of S3 attacks and, for me, that makes them the worst option for orcs (excluding arrer boyz)...

Where is it that says you only get additional attack for extra choppa on the charge? If you've got an additional hand weapon, you get the 'Extra Attack' rule... are you mixing this up with the 'Devastating Charge' rule? And why don't you benefit from the +1 Str in 1st round of combat Choppa rule when holding 2 Choppas? Can't find it in the FAQ or Army Book...

As far as I know, any upgrades you buy, you have to use them (at least, that's what my opponents keep doing and saying)... my boyz all use choppa & shield combo, so I've never had to concern myself with it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you are right , the extra choppa gets the +1 str in the first round of combat , rergardless of if the orks charged or not and it looks like the str +! applies even if the orc has 2 choppas .
    for some reason i thought thet the extra choppa didn't grant the str bonus if you uses 2 of them .
    that makes life easier .
    basicly it is extra choppa or a shield .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Extra choppa, without doubt. 6 wide, ready to kill! You can go with the shield in a unit made for keeping ranks and being steadfast, but otherwise the 5+/6++ save will save an insignificant amount of models in the end which makes the return attacks from a unit with 2 choppas much more devastating.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    you are right , the extra choppa gets the +1 str in the first round of combat , rergardless of if the orks charged or not and it looks like the str +! applies even if the orc has 2 choppas .
    for some reason i thought thet the extra choppa didn't grant the str bonus if you uses 2 of them .
    that makes life easier .
    basicly it is extra choppa or a shield .
    No worries! You had me doubting myself for a minute!

I can see the appeal of both kits, but for me the best thing about Orcs is that they're T4 and uber cheap! I don't want to add 40% to their cost with an extra choppa that only the front rank can make use of in combat. Instead, I add to their survivability by spending less on keeping their ranks alive longer with the narrowest frontage and either 1 or 2 characters to do the real damage!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the way you kit out you orcs will depend on how you want to use them, the shields are used for units that need to stay alive (like the big unz with the spirit totem) and the additional choppa is what you use with savage orcs and throw away choppy units. the advantages of spears a few, if its extra attacks you want, the additional choppa will give you the +1S and you will get just as many attacks as you would if your 3rd rank was striking with spears. i swear by my choppas and i will take them over spears time and time again, i just hope the new book doesn't change them too much.

+ Reply to Thread