Coming back to Fantasy with... Night Goblins? Advice needed! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Coming back to Fantasy with... Night Goblins? Advice needed!

Hello guys,

I don't usually frequent this part of LO, but the arrival of 8th Edition saw me climb into the depths of the closet and blow dust off some large cardboard boxes. In late 5th and early 6th edition I played a magic-heavy large Night Goblin horde and I would love to resurrect and continue playing this army in 8th.

With the new Horde rules and bonuses for having many ranks, it seems this army could once again dominate the battlefields. With percentages now being used, dozens of cheap Night Goblin Shamans and Heroes can be used. I'm looking for advice on what to add, chop and change to turn this into a competitive army. Again, I haven't really played Fantasy in well over 3-4 years, so go easy!

I have the following models (pictured below):

- 120 Night Goblin Spearmen
    - 100 Night Goblin Spearmen with Shields
    - 50 Night Goblins with Hand Weapons
    - 60 Night Goblins with Bows

Enough musicians, bosses and standards for 15 separate units.

- 30 Fanatics
    - 20 Netters
    - 30 Squigs with around 10-15 herders
    - 15 Squig Hoppers
    - 4 Big Bosses/Warbosses
    - 6 Shamans
    - 1 Giant

Okay lads, fire away!

Last edited by Ravendove; July 24th, 2010 at 12:47.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x1)

I played a game the other day and the super stars of the game were the fanatics. They are awesomely good. My suggestion is to take quite a few small units of 20 NG's with nothing on them, except maybe exchanging the shield for short bows. Coming into an 8" range of these units is highly devastating. Goblin magic is good still, but the changes to irrisitable makes them potentially one shot wonders, so take a few of them at level 1. Otherwise i'd take a big solid unit of 39-49 or them, put a character like a Warboss or Skarsnik in the unit and call it a day!
    Check out Double Edged Painting blog for more information on commissions and work in progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey man.
    I also play a large night goblin horde, and I think I might be able to shed some light, though you probably already know some of it.

-I'd suggest you take a fair few large units of night goblins, say...50, due to the horde rule, if these goblins have hand weapon/shield, they get a 6+ ward in combat. So, as you can see, being able to fight in three ranks with a 6+/6+ save against strength 3 models is quite handy, just add some fanatics and netters and you can have a reasonable combat unit.
    -I never take units smaller than 30 models (5x6), simply due to rank bonuses and the frequency of casualties. However; I usually leave night goblin archers in -units of 20, as now 15 can fire in the standard 5x4 formation.
    -Fanatics are brilliant, they can really change a game in a single turn. However, you probably shouldn't completely rely on them, or take too many, as that would unbalance your points greatly.
    -The idea of lots of cheap heroes is great! I intend to do the exact same thing.
    -Squig hoppers are also great these days, take as many of them as you can.
    -Add the giant for support and wounds, and that's about it.
    -The only other suggestion I'd make is maybe chuck in Skarsnik in larger games, he packs quite a punch and is really cheap.
    -It's probably a good idea to get a battle standard bearer as well.

My general strategy is to have a strong centre, probably with the battle standard bearer, 2 large units, the giant and some archers.
    Then have an infantry strong flank, made nearly entirely of night goblins, maybe with a pump wagon or something.
    And then have the other flank being comprised entirely of cavalry and specials, such as squig hoppers, squig herders, chariots or wolf riders.
    Then the general idea is to push through the opponents lines with the cavalry and sort of wheel around.

Anyway, I wish you the very best of luck with the rekindled army, let me know how it goes!

-JackFrostX

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

HotDang! i though I had many fanatics...

Here's a solid tactic:
    Put all of them in a small open box, next to the battlefield, in plain sight of the enemy player. He'll go nuts everytime he has to go near a Night Goblin unit.

I wouldnt bring too many hoppers, instead prefer herders at the moment. Cheap, they blow up and dont really mind that they strike last.
    No war machines ad no fast cavalry ( Obviously a very thematic army... but
    How are you going to get rid of big monsters and war machines? I fear for its competitiveness.
    If you are depending on shamans and fanatics, bring more than plenty.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my army lists, I always have a unit of 50 Night Goblins with spears. And lots of 20 strong ones with spears. And at least 2 units of 20 archers, in 2 ranks.
    Usually, it's one fanatic in the smaller ones, and 3 in the horde.

Oh, and the above is seconded. Mindrape is the best tactic.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Well, I guess I can come harrass you Ork players again, since I'm still playing with the idea of using my Gobs in 8th (was testing with them late 7th).

I'd say to knock out the Hoppers. It's a shame, because man they were awesome on the tables, but right now they're just way too slow. You'll almost never charge with them (2d6, vs. 2d6+M).
    Pick up some kind of warmachine. I think that Spam is the goblin player's greatest strength. We can have a full compliment of 3 Throwas and 3 Chukkas in a 3k game. Both weapons are deadly in their own right.

Make sure that every regiment gets Netters and Fanatics, even if only 1 or 2 of the little doom-mongers in each. I typically loaded my smaller regiments with about 3 fanatics, and gave my big regiments 2. This is so that I could use my little regiments to work their way forwards, guard flanks, and kick Fanatics out where I needed them, without worrying so much about the big guys. There's another trick to this as well...

Pick up a BSB, and Skarsnik. Skarsnik allows your guys to flee, rally, and fight as normal- making everyone seem like Fast Cavalry. I would toss my smaller regiments of NG Bowmen forward as a screen. When they were charged, they'd flee- and kick off 3 Fanatics into the enemy. Chances are good that they'd run through one of my larger Spear units with enemies in pursuit. If all went well and the Spears hold, they kick off another 2 Fanatics, then Net the enemy, and start sticking him to death... after he's taken 5D6 hits from the Crazies. Meanwhile the bowmen are rallying behind me, ready to sneak around and flank, or move aside and start peppering people with arrows.

On the topic of arrows and bowmen: Goblin "gunlines" are devastating. It's almost better to give your guys bows than to give the spears. Once your in combat, your gobs don't do much anyways (unless you can successfully net the enemy)
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goblin setup

double post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goblin setup

49 night goblins ( bows )
    Netters
    2 fanatics
    full command
    night goblin big boss banner bearer with the spider banner,defensive items.

alle poison attacks even on the arrows =D

49 night goblins ( hand weapon shield)
    netters
    2 fanatics
    full command
    goblin warboss with martogs best basha, and defensive items.

put that on the center of the table, its awesome!
    you have leadership 8 and battle standard, you have loads of poison and static combat resolution. and if one of the units are getting shot up move the characters over to the other one =) also put the iron icon item from the rulebook on a character it gives 6+ wardsave against warmachines to the unit.

put a unit of trolls in between the 2 units so the standard and banner still covers them both for some added killing.

that`s the way i would make a night goblin army.it is really effective, one thing is that it kills alot of stuff and holds up the whole center of the board, it`s really good at point denial with the new rules where you dont get points for hlf dead units.

last advice, bring loads of rocklobbers and doomdivers some of the best units in the armybook with the new edition.

thats my 2 cents please comment

+ Reply to Thread