Orcs as Mainstay? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Orcs as Mainstay?

I'm just starting OnG and I've seen many more goblin armies than orc based armies. I personally would love Orcs as the bulk of my army, but I'm wondering if there's something I'm not seeing that veteran OnG players see. Is it plausible to run Orcs as the bulk of the army? Or are Goblins just a much better way to go?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I.M.O Orcs are better all-round. Even as missile troops(24" bows VS 16" shortbows). Then only thing I would warn you about is that there may not be any point upgrading too many to Big 'Un's - I would say have one "bodyguard" unit of Big 'Un's for your main(Lv. 4?) spellcaster and then stick to regular Orcs other than that - except if you have any units of Black Orcs. Also, stick to Black Orc characters - even in regular Orc units - as long as they still quell animosity in 8 Ed. - a couple of casualties is worth it for a unit that would otherwise have done nothing that turn.

Also, a great resource is Malorian on Warseer and his "Orc Tactical Team" series of YT vids....
    Regards,

NK.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Korhedron View Post
    Even as missile troops(24" bows VS 16" shortbows).

I would say have one "bodyguard" unit of Big 'Un's for your main(Lv. 4?) spellcaster and then stick to regular Orcs
    Note that shortbows are now 18"instead of 16. a great advantage now, considering the goblins are half price.

An army can have only one unit of Big'Uns no matter which kind.

Hi there, im more of a goblin fan, although i tend to deploy plenty of orcs nowadays.

About full Orcs, it's doable. They do not utilize the main advantages of the entire orcs&Goblin armybook, (thinking about combining netters and orc fighters here ), so you do restrict yourself even though the armybook is not the best of all books.

If you're thinking of going fast attack style, orcs are definetly the best core, maybe few supporting goblins for netters, doom divers and fast cavalry. That and theyre quite cheap for guys that come with choppa's.

So: Yes, the orcs make up good core choices and they look pretty brutal in masses, so go for it!
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

This is all good to hear, and yea, I like to play faster hitting armies. Though it's still a toss up between Orcs and Daemons, khorne specifically. Though, hearing about the new Orc book does make me want to jump the bandwagon prematurely. And Boar Boyz just look so damn cool as opposed to Bloodcrushers.

Also, I wouldn't run full Orcs, though it'd be a good portion of the army. Like 65%

What are optimal unit sizes for Orcs? 30+? I'm thinking of giving them shields
    Last edited by Dreadlock; October 12th, 2010 at 23:49.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    113 (x3)

Im an all orc guy i don't use goblin at all i don't like them. I find it can make games much harder as your basically saying i don't want to have a shooting phase but at the same time all orc army's when built well and used properly hit like a Mac truck. If you want spasific advise just ask ill be more than happy to help you out.

Unit size i use 24-30 with 2 weapons shields are nice but i like having more attacks.

For black orcs i use 15-20.
    Last edited by tinytim84; October 13th, 2010 at 08:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I intend to use Goblins, just Orcs will make up the Majority... AS THEY SHOULD. I hear Boar boyz are terrible, but I plan to use at least one Unit of 10, as expensive as that is. I was never really a fan of Black Orcs, what makes them so special?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    113 (x3)

They are good because they don't suffer animosity and there for make a great place to stick your casters. They are also a pretty good CC unit you just have to use them vs the right kind of units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Alright, there was a Bizarre Bazaar today, and I took total advantage of it. Grumlock and Gorbag (Warhammer online special character(s)), Black Orc Big Boss, 33 Old Plastic Arrer Boyz, 15-20 of the old plastic boyz with dual choppaz (Just gonna use these as unit champs/throw in as extra bodies), 3 Spear Chukkas, A box of Boyz, box of Night Gobbos and a box of Fanatics for less than $100

BEGIN THE WAAAGH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I own about, i wanna say 100 some odd NG spearmen and about 50 NG shortbows, i used too use all of them in my force. First i try'd out 2 huge Gobbo blocks, 4 blocks of 30(1 unit of shortbows). All i can say from my experience in 8th Ed is, except for the Shortbows, they didn't do much. They died in hidious masses and even in horde mode they just couldn't do much damage.

The one thing i can say is they will buy a turn or 2 when they still have their ranks but thats about all they do. I've been playing with more and more orcs lately and i will be playing my first games with no goblins what so ever soon as some more orcs arrive. I think i'm gonna play a couple games in all orc mode, and a couple with my block of 30 Shortbows, they always seemed too do much better than the spearmen, but that's just how my games turn out.

If you insist on using goblins i would bring small units maybe 25 strong with nets or just Shortbows(and the fanatics )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My opinion: it's pure personal preference. Goblin players are a bizarre, twisted bunch- completely ignoring the pure combat advantages of raw orcish might for the pleasure of fielding hordes of 50-100 models for the same point cost that many armies are lucky if the can muster 25 troopers...

They enjoy watching their own armies completely flee the board on turn two.

A trio of fanatics plowing back into the very same unit that released they the turn prior strikes them as an sub-optimal, but highly amusing outcome.

Goblin players, such as myself, are a strange lot...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast