When does the size of a large Night Goblin unit become a disadvantage? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When does the size of a large Night Goblin unit become a disadvantage?

Hi Guys,

40 Night Gobbos + 3 finatics ranked 8x5, 3 units in a 2000pt list.

Is there any point in going bigger on these units?

All comments welcome

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Hi,

i think thats a bit of a personal preference for each.
    I'm not really worried about having 10+ casualties in shooting (through trebuchets or magic), but my own goblin hordes are 45-50 instead, for one reason:
    in combat these guys are just dreadfull, they die in droves. It's important that they bog the enemy down long enough without becoming low numbers. If possible it is nice to have them survive one enemy unit and then be strong enough to overrun and bog something else down as a bonus. with 40, your unit will be too low number to bog something down a second time,

So i think 50 is a good number to have them as anvil, not once, but twice.
    40 can work wonders aswell, it really depends on how you make them fit in your tactics.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

dont forget to use nets, slows down pretty much anyone trying to kill you
    Fantasy : Empire, Chaos Warriors, Chaos Daemons, Vampire Counts, Beastmen, High Elves, Lizardmen( but i have opinions on every army just not the money)
    40k: Black Templars, Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar, Tau (thinking of Eldar)

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Big regiments will always have wide fronts, making it difficult to navigate terrain and slip around your own flanks, and they'll usually have long flanks, which makes it all that much easier to charge your sides.
    You also run the risk of allowing more enemies into BB with you, or having too few enemies and wasting your models combat ability.

I run my Gobs in regiments of 50-70, and Horde them up with Spears. 50 is pretty comfortable, because if you need ranks you can just turn and there you go: 10 ranks. Steadfast for a LONG time.
    They are terrible in combat, but using nets and a compliment of Fanatics to take people out on the way in, makes them a little more dangerous. And 40 attacks are nothing to laugh at, even if they are low WS/S.

40 is definitely not too big. Going 8 wide might be sort of silly though. Why not field 10 more and get a full Horde bonus? With 8 wide, you're pretty much guaranteeing that enemy Hordes will get all of their attacks, and that against the normal 5-wides, you're losing a model or two worth of attacks.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would personally say units of 80-100 are when they come unwieldy. I would generally use them in units of 50 where they still have room to manouvre and have good fighting capabilities without wasting to many models just for rank bonuses. It also depends how many fanatics you want to include in your army, in this case small units are better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Also depends on what they're doing, if they're there to act as a sponge then 50 would be my recommended size.
    +++XENOS SPOTTED+++ thrilling battles within the Vitorina subsector: http://xenosspotted.blogspot.com/

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

It's not how big it is, it's how you use it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

What about a 100 NG shortbow unit fielded as wide across as terrain will allow with a spider banner BSB? 60-70 poison shots on a volley, 20-40 on a stand and shoot or move and shoot then poison CC attacks plus a couple fanatics and nets for good measure. Wedge them into a good defensive position and you have a killer gunline that will destroy virtually anything and will be very difficult to avoid for under 500 pts.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Personally i think the spider banner is too much of an nvestment for a goblin unit (50-100 archers is alot of arrows allready), giving them poison is nice bonus, but adding a pump wagon for the points gives better options imo., but if you really intend to go for 100 models, then yes, thats where the banner shines all the brightest.

Again, it's personal preference here, i just dont like spending too much points ona single unit of greenhides
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if you max out with 3 fanatics, would taking a smaller unit be more of an advantage?

Spider Banner*** - For goblins it can only be take by the BSB, condisering how important it is now in 8th to keep him alive I would rather protect him with Magic Armour.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast