Battling Bretonnians - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Battling Bretonnians

As the attractively alliterative title suggests, I am to battle a friend's Bretonnian army on Friday and I was looking for some advice, what units to ignore, what units to fear and how to deal with them etc. So yeah, I would be grateful for some help!

+++XENOS SPOTTED+++ thrilling battles within the Vitorina subsector: http://xenosspotted.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

- If he deploys a reliquary, stay the heck away from i! Just keep it busy with some cheap rabble, the relique is no good fighter, but theyre stubborn and they can (like all peasants) use the Ldshp of any knight nearby, not just the general.
    - Fear the trebbuchets >.<
    - Pegasus knights hit harder then they might look. Theyre excellent against small units, so do not under any circumstance face them off with your own fast cavalry. better to have them eat fanatics or something.

- Don't deploy in wide formations, the lanceformations are deep, and a common tactic would be to charge 2 lances into your centre unit, doing massive kills and then having more ranks then you so they get to overrun. going slim means you have more ranks to waste and it also means your other units dont have to walk so far to assist eachother.

- Magic: save your dispeldice and single out certain spells. Often the damsels go for a spellcombo, like throne of vines and then regrowth or flesh to stone (a Life prophetess in this case) better to dispell 1 of the two than risking it on both.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually played a bretonnian army with my all goblin force today and absolutely massacared my opponent. To be fair, the dice gods favoured me over my opponent and he didnt have any trebuchets . Ill run through what worked and what didn't and what to watch out for.

- as digger said, ranks are the bane of bretonnians. large blocks of night gobbos with nets and a few fanatics work wonders.
    - war machines are great vs his good armour, i didnt have many but i would take all you own.
    - a lv4 shaman and a staff of sneaky stealin should help you in the magic department.
    - basic trolls are a fave of mine, and worked well for me, but beware of his flaming arrows!
    - you definately need a high ld general and a BSB near your centre to hold against his knights charge.

- you could try a solid block of about 20 black orcs with the waaagh banner. call a waagh and use your banner for a really long charge and to surprise your opponent. beat up on his knights with your black orcs, take minimal damage back as he didnt charge you, and watch him run

- try to gang up on his units and not let him pick the fights. basically i marched straight up the board on turn 1 (he prayed) and put the pressure on him. i had him outnumbered and swamped him quickly.

- the knights are the real strength of bretonnians. if you can hold up his initial charge with your steadfast and then counter charge in the flanks of his lances with your own hitty units (giants, squigs, trolls, chariots, or even ranked infantry) then you should put yourself in with a good chance.

well thats enough of a rant from me
    i hope some of it helped

oh... and may the dice gods be with you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Cheers guys, that's really helpful! Rep for ye both! I had planned on Hording the units of Goblins, but now I reckon I'll run them deep. I'm also going to be taking two level 2 Night Goblin shamans, and a level four Orc shaman, add onto that the staff of sneaky stealin' and Mork's Spirit Totem and I have an almost impenetrable magic defense, I'll have at least the same amount as him most of the time, only if he rolls a double 6 will he have 1 more dice. I'll come back here to tell you how it went!
    +++XENOS SPOTTED+++ thrilling battles within the Vitorina subsector: http://xenosspotted.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread