All Goblin Army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All Goblin Army?

Hi. I'm brand new to fantasy and was thinking about trying a all goblin army. I love the models and like how they have a comedic feel to them. I'm mostly gunna be playing friends off the bat so a very competitive set up isn't a must. But I don't want to just get stomped on every time I play. So are all gobo armies any good or do they need the support of Orcs to be any good?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Hey Pillowpants,

Firstly, welcome to Fantasy!

I'd say running an all goblin army is definitely viable... and definitely fun! The first question is how many points are you wanting to go up to? and have you bought any gobbos yet?
    TCs Space Marines || TCs Khorney Chaos || Soon: Orcs & Goblins || Future: Mordheim Reiklanders ||
    Article: Swiftstride Averge & Odds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't bought anything yet. And as far as points go I was gunna aim for 1000 points to start off and then go from there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

heres a list (comes out a at 1016 points) that I think would be fun to start with.

Lord
    Goblin Warboss - Light Armour - 68

Hero
    Night Goblin Shaman (x2) - 100

Core
    2 units of 42 Night Goblins, with netters, 1 Fanatic, Full command per unit. in 6x7 formation - 452

Special
    3 Goblin Wolf chariots in 1 unit. With extra wolf and extra crew in each. - 180
    2 spear Chukka's - 70
    Squig Herd - 3 handlers and 9 Squigs - 81

Rare
    1 Mangler Squig - 65

With this set-up you would put the Lords and Heroes in the NG units. Use those to hold enemy units while flanking with the chariots/Squigs
    I've put the Mangler in because they are just a lot of fun (and handy to block units etc..) but you could drop the Mangler and put the Warboss in a chariot of his own instead (this would also bring the list down to 1001 points)
    Having 2 shaman helps reduce the risk of ending your magic phase after one failed cast or, worse still, losing all your magic from one miscast.
    Last edited by ashen1973; March 8th, 2011 at 16:02. Reason: typos

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

i would advice anyone against adding a wolf to their chariots. not because its expensive (it is) but a 3rd wolf will make the front 3 cavalry bases wide, which is horrible with a unit like this. More people get to attack your chariot and kill it easily. It's also annoying to switch from an easy chariotbase, to 3 wolves wide (unless you just get Grom's chariot).
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    i would advice anyone against adding a wolf to their chariots. not because its expensive (it is) but a 3rd wolf will make the front 3 cavalry bases wide, which is horrible with a unit like this. More people get to attack your chariot and kill it easily. It's also annoying to switch from an easy chariotbase, to 3 wolves wide (unless you just get Grom's chariot).
    good point, I hadnt considerred that, just threw in the extra Wolves as the first list i made had a few points spare

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Wolf Chariots are at their best without upgrades... you're paying your points to get something that does either 2D6+2 or 3D6+3 S5 impact hits... anything that happens after impact hits should just be considered a bonus...

Don't pay for a wolf to make yourself a bigger target and don't pay the pts for an extra WS2 S4 attack... or S3 if you've not charged that turn...

So, GW, you're offering me a Goblin Boss with WS2 S3 2A for 1 point more than 3 goblins each with WS2 S3 1A... giving me WS2 S3 3A... so that's how much it costs a Lord/Hero character to refuse a challenge these days? If there's no Lord/Hero in a goblin unit then there should be no goblin boss either...

Also, never take netters... if you're giving Night Goblins netters, then you're trying to make them survive longer in combat, right? Well what survives longer in combat... netters or another 15 night goblins? If the unit is there to survive as long as possible, then narrow the frontage to 5 wide... don't let the enemy have extra attacks... unless they're worse than WS2 S3...

Squig Herds need to be more like Squig Hordes... they may be Immune to Psychology, but they're a T3 no armour save arrow magnet... and they're only M4...

Will draw up a list and tactics tomorrow...
    Last edited by thetopcat84; March 10th, 2011 at 05:04. Reason: Editid fur spellinz
    TCs Space Marines || TCs Khorney Chaos || Soon: Orcs & Goblins || Future: Mordheim Reiklanders ||
    Article: Swiftstride Averge & Odds

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)
    Last edited by The Paint Monkey; March 10th, 2011 at 06:14.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by thetopcat84 View Post
    Also, never take netters... if you're giving Night Goblins netters, then you're trying to make them survive longer in combat, right? Well what survives longer in combat... netters or another 15 night goblins? If the unit is there to survive as long as possible, then narrow the frontage to 5 wide... don't let the enemy have extra attacks... unless they're worse than WS2 S3...
    Waaait what?
    Isn't the netters meant to keep other guys alive? like the flanking chariots or the trolls right next to you. Those things would be standard in my goblin force and i think netters do a good job protecting them (even more so than the unit itself). Not for every Ngob unit ofcourse, but 1 or 2 surely could work out nicely.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im with digger netters are CRUCIAL ALSO if your NGs are against any standard core choice in combat and u have a large block with nets they are likely to win working on the average of a 3ws 3 S and 3T they are getting 3 to hit 4 to wound and your getting a 4 to hit and a 4 to wound with the netters your making them wound on a 5 which evens up the playing field and with your numbers...who do you thinks gonna get combat res wins? besides you are likely to have more ranks so stubborn AND lets not forget...spears are now free so u get more attacks and you are most likely CHEAPER then them...the amount of times i have killed things with night goblins coz they underestimate them is amazing....honestly TAKE NETS!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast