Savage Orc boar boyz, Add. Hand weapon or Spears and shield? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spear and Shield

3 15.00%
  • Additional hand weapon

17 85.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Savage Orc boar boyz, Add. Hand weapon or Spears and shield?

So I'm in the middle of building my 15 Savage Orc Boar Boyz, and when I got to attaching their weapons went...hmmm? Which is better additional hand weapon or spears?

The additional hand weapon grants an additional attack, which gives the frenzied Orcs 3 base and strength 4 in the first round of combat.

The spear and shield on the other hand gives the Orcs a 3+ save (+3 already for being mounted on a thick skinned boar) and an additional +1 strength, although only on the charge, for a grand total of strength 5, and only two attacks base.

Which would you run/think is better?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say it depends on the use for them, for ur sake with 15 of them i would say spears and shield, ranking them up 5x3 would give them 15 +1str attacks combared to 20 with normal str... For a small unit under 10 i would take extra hand weapon

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    113 (x3)

Well first You only get a 4+ save for being on a boar with a shield +2 from boar and +1 from shield. The first + gets you to 6+ then you go down from there. For normal boys do the spears and shields for big uns do 2 choppas. Really it is just a matter of what you want them to do I will say this tho don't expect them to survive head to hear with big units they work much better in the flank.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

For units of normal boyz then spears and shields, as others have suggested already Big Unz do well with additional hand-weapons.
    I've never really liked Boar boyz tbh, they are decent in the flank, but, unless you take a large unit, and the points cost for this is pretty prohibitive, they are pretty dire head-to-head.
    For flanking attacks I much prefer a mixture of wolf chariot units and Orc chariots. I've been told that Squigg hoppers are great in this role also, but, have yet to purchase any Squigg models so have not tried this myself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I borrow the thread abit, do u guys think 5 savage orc boar boyz with additional hand weapon is viable and helps out on the flank as a support unit, or is it just going to cause panic tests on ur other troops?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Always an AHW for savage orc boyz, whether mounted or on foot.

If on boars, the mob should be 10 - 15 models strong.

As for a flanking mob, choose goblin wolf/spider riders and/or goblin/orc chariots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 models for boars is not enough. It will cause panic. Not worth it. Savage boys go so well with double hand weapons. They get a ward save anyways, so the +1 to armor from shields is not worth it. Normal boar boys on the other hand, who dont get ward saves, nor can they use two hand weapons, should have spears and shields. So if you are going with savage boars, go 10-15 models, with two hand weapons.

The spear and shield on the other hand gives the Orcs a 3+ save (+3 already for being mounted on a thick skinned boar
    thick skinned gives +2 armor, not +3 armor. Normal boar boys have light armor, shields and thick skinned for a 3+ armor save, while savage orcs have a 5+ armor save without shields and a 4+ save with shields, and a ward save of 6 regardless of what they take.
    Warlord Grimtoof Dwarfchewer
    check out my WAAAAGH!!! Grimtoof WiP here: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-grimtoof.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just out of wonder, well as a thought, since they have the option on armaments I would probably split it in half outside of the command group on armaments. That way you have your Leader/Standard Bearer/Musician seperate. Then go 6 with extra hand weapon/6 shield spear and basically in the front row you put up whatever the unit is actually armed with in a fight.

I know uniforminity says you should have all but this way you save yourself on having to buy separate units and can keep costs down.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by GMJoeSolarte View Post
    just out of wonder, well as a thought, since they have the option on armaments I would probably split it in half outside of the command group on armaments. That way you have your Leader/Standard Bearer/Musician seperate. Then go 6 with extra hand weapon/6 shield spear and basically in the front row you put up whatever the unit is actually armed with in a fight.

I know uniforminity says you should have all but this way you save yourself on having to buy separate units and can keep costs down.

I don't believe you can do this, legally, as the mob must be equipped the same.

On another note, there is no need for the "champion" in a mob unless your placing a shaman in it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Depends on what you want the unit to do... chew up light troops: extra choppa... hit heavy troops: spear n shield...

...both are good options (extra choppa edges it for me: always +1A in combat rather than the first round only bonus from spears), but you need to look at your army as a whole to see whether a gap needs bridging...
    TCs Space Marines || TCs Khorney Chaos || Soon: Orcs & Goblins || Future: Mordheim Reiklanders ||
    Article: Swiftstride Averge & Odds

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast