Trolls - Do we need em? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Trolls - Do we need em?

The more I think about trolls, the more I think they are a waste of space. All armies now have access to the flaming banner and will make a beeline towards the trolls with whatever unit has it, so they are more vulnerable then ever, but also their stupidity makes them such a liability. Give me more orcs and their animosity any day, at least 5/6 of the animosity rolls can now carry you into combat (where we want to be anyway).

Almost every battle report I read that involves trolls ends up badly, they either fail the stupid test at the wrong time, get separated from the general or have their minder killed, but even when they do make it to combat unless you are fighting a bunch of heavily armoured elites (in which case the vomit is handy) they dont really hit that much harder then, say, savage orc big uns with extra hand weapons (and the orcs are much cheaper too).

All in all, I cant really find a place for them in my army other then the single model which marches in front of my generals unit as a meat shield to protect him from cannonballs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

If you don't like them, you don't HAVE to use them.....
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

It just seems that so many people are convinced that they are a good unit. I know that in the orc and goblin world most things have a bit of a risk attached to them, and that chaotic aspect is part of the fun of the army, but they seem so mediocre when they do hit combat (assuming that they even get the chance to regenerate) that I just wanted to know what it is about them that is so well liked.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are not as terrible as you make them seem. Only one unit can have the flaming banner, and some units don't get magic banners at all( gonna pull flaming out of their ass maybe? ). In the end I personally only use river trolls to counter knights, the Troll Vomit is what makes them "special". My main list uses Gorbad so stupidity never comes to be a problem for me, but I only takes trolls maybe 33% of the time anyway?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

They have their place in certain armies... they're kinda like Black Orcs, they have the duality of being able to take on lighter infantry with their 'normal' attacks or more heavy foes with the vomit...
    TCs Space Marines || TCs Khorney Chaos || Soon: Orcs & Goblins || Future: Mordheim Reiklanders ||
    Article: Swiftstride Averge & Odds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play Bretonnia and everytime I play and OG army with no trolls, I crush them. But with any trolls I have to be cautious and even with all my flaming options they are still tough to deal with. With the option of river/stone trolls for rare and reg trolls for special you can out play most armies with any flaming.

River Trolls...-1 to hit and fear. If that unit falls its fear test, they're hitting on 6's (WS1 and -1 to hit) and the trolls are hitting on 3's. Being Monsterous Infantry, 8 in ranks of 4 mean all 8 attack with ALL attacks, reg and stomps. Bane of any infantry build. Plus vomit for my poor T3 knights. Just don't be reckless with them and they could crush the whole board.

6 R.Trolls and 2 Manglers seems to be the common rare build for most of the OG armies Ive seen or played, ugh.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Jacks985; June 6th, 2011 at 18:11.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my 6 river trolls. They can pack a big punch, especially against knights. They have their regen as well - simply awesome. As to the flaming banner, havent had issues with that yet. Players at my gw dont usually take it. Even if they would, theres still deployment, and depending on the scenario, the two units might be on opposites sides of the battle and not be in combat.
    Warlord Grimtoof Dwarfchewer
    check out my WAAAAGH!!! Grimtoof WiP here: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-grimtoof.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 common trolls. Comparitively cheap, far more reliable than last ed, and pump out 24 S5 attacks. Sure, flaming banner gets around, but you don't 'have' to set up your trolls opposite it, right?
    I love to use them to scare away armoured troops, and get these boys into the flank of almost anything and it is in a world of hurt. Don't forget the stomp attacks too.

RoV
    Beware the Agapanthers!

Codex Astartes: More a guideline than a rule...

Romans 8:38

OEW
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trolls need a g

Put a goblin lord on a gigantic spIder and then try out that unit of trolls. Trolls are so cheap right now too I don't know why you wouldnt take the!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, some generals (myself included) like them because: (1) they are cheap, (2) they are GREAT against heavily armored elites. Plus, they have Regen !

Most of the units will NOT have flaming attacks. And the ones that do, well, they will be happy shooting my 3 trolls while the rest of the horde advances to bash some 'eads !

My 2 cents on the matter...
    "Look Mr. Bubbles... Adam!"
    Visit Ecuador's First Warhammer Hobby Forum
    Twitter: @marco_vaca Do you have a PS3 ? Let's play some Worms ! (PSN id: viper0478)

+ Reply to Thread