NG Horde question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

NG Horde question

In my horrible army, I run 50 NG horde with 3 Fanatics, fcg, hw&sh, and BSB and Shaman go in there usually. They tend to go down pretty quickly, killed by anything and killing almost nothing. 'Hey,' I thought today, 'if they are there just to cancel enemy's steadfast, maybe release some fanatics and hold the centre for a little while, why not run them 5 wide and 10 deep instead of the other way round? They would have 10 attacks instead of 30, but they kill hardly anything anyway, but would also have a smaller frontage, limiting the attacks of the enemy, and lose full rank bonus with 31 killed, instead of 16. It would be also easier to charge some BO or chariot into the bad guys as they are locked in battle'. That's what I thought, admiring my brilliance. What do Those Who Really Play WFB say to that? Is it some obvious or frequently used tactic, or is it sheer stupidity (why)? On the side note - it's my only Goblin regiment but for the wolves, I have also two Orc mobs, BO, Boar Boyz, a Chariot, some more crap.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Yes. Use your goblins 5 wide and 10 deep. if your feeling adventurous go 6 wide, but goblins are thier to simpley tar pit people and in some cases act as bunkers for characters. Its worth considering nets. Sure they could backfire and reduce your strength instead of the enemies, but your more likely for it to reduce thiers, keeping your unit in the game longer.

And yes you should have them close so another unit can slam into the enemies flank, i suggest a unit of 6 trolls. They soon break up a fight as long as you dont fluff your stupidity test on your generals Ld (within 12") and your bsb reroll.

The only reason to field a goblin horde formation is if they have bows and you intend to reform them before you get into combat.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

i can't think of a reason to deploy them any other way than 5 swide and very deep. this unit can hold against very big hitter units for at least a turn (unless it's some sicko deathstar or geared up Doombull).
    their damage potential is basically zero.
    Other players i play against also deploy their goblins 5 wide.

- edit: i can think of a reason now, when you go for 80+ goblins in a unit, then its nice to have horde, so they fit nicely in the deployment zone, and since theyre archers no doubt, more can fire :p
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

Cheers guys, so it really was pretty obvious, and I figured it out after being massacred just twice. Another reason that I think of is that a horde would deal twice as much damage when Animosity goes wrong. This week I'll see if this changes anything.

+ Reply to Thread