How do you deal with actual monsters ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

How do you deal with actual monsters ?

Good evening .

The title states it all . I'm looking for how greenskin players deal with actual monsters, such as dragons, griffins, manticores, etc .

Thanks in advance .

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

I'm going to take this as ... a greenskin list can't deal with large monsters ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont have one but read giants are good at taking out monsters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 Spear Chukkas can do the trick - finish him off with a Doom Diver or two

If you don't take war machines (which are inherently un-orcy and frowned upon by all players) charge the Monster with 1+ spikey pump wagons, 1+ Chariots or 1+ mangler squigs and let the boyz mop up the rest. The goal is to smash through the monster and take advantage of part of the board your opponent was expecting to have 'covered' ... so ... attack with the hitty chariot stuff en mass.

It is rare that any single charge of a few models (chariots/spiked Pumpys) or elite troops (savage boyz) will win the combat against a monster, they must have support either from a flanking unit, chariot type unit, fanatic, mangler, war machine, etc. This are the hitty units that are specifically meant to cripple or take out the very big bad enemy units like monsters, characters or those really nasty chosen WoC. So send them in one after another or preferably; all at once - no monster has infinite wounds and if you send in enough at the a Monster in the center, you can find these units destroying it and crashing another time into the enemy center line as a loud cheer from your boyz ensues. OR if you send a TON of these hitty units at a Monster on the flank and destroy it... you usually can now dominate that flank as all of your hitty units just bossed a big bad Stegadon / Abomb / Cygor / Dragon / Hydra which your opponent was likely counting on to lock down that flank. The pump wagons and Manglers are particularly good an mashing these guys up as they are ItP ignoring those pesky terror tests, and their random movement means that none of the cheesier monsters can stand and shoot against them.

Another method entirely is to take one of your solid core troops that has a bunch of ranks and sending them on a suicide/very Orcy mission of simply tying the big Meanies up. This unit may be a simple mash up of 30 Orc Boyz (whom I usually call the 'game winners') who charge in to lock up the monster early in the game - as the enemy monsters will likely charge/fly forward in the center or flank on the first turn and you can charge into it or accept the charge from it on the second turn. As long as you can cover that orc unit's flanks for a turn or two with fanatics, spider riders, manglers or (ideally) another unit of 30 boyz, you are good. The unit in combat with the big monster will almost definitely get Steadfast and be re-rolling Ld tests (because you brought the BSB, right?) on a Leadership 9 (because you brought the Warboss right?). And if you are uber lucky, the orcs might just take the big thing to the ground; which is very possible if your opponent rolls poorly and you get the +5 basic CR (3 ranks, Std, outnumber, and add the Waagh if you feel they need it). Just think about it; even with the Thunderstomp rule, for one model of 6-8 Strength 5-7 attacks, it takes still average rolling to take down 5 models in one turn (and if they just take down 5, call the Waagh and seal the deal against the big monster and hopefully your guys chase him down). If you are expecting to use this method, just take your basic boy with no equipment x 30, and a standard = 190 points. Remember, these guys are not meant to actually 'kill' anything, just tie them up. And your points are better spent on stuff you actually assume will kill something - the Warboss, Your own Monsters (seriously, the A-rok is kinda awesome), Manglers, Pump Wagons, Chariots, Artillery, Boar Boys (who I think rock), Common Trolls (also under-rated), Etc.

This is a great example of how the O+G book really works. No single unit can win the game for you (as is common in many other Army types), and while it is true that a few other Armies' units must work together to win, it is MUCH more true for the O+G. All your units don't solve any single challenge themselves, but when used correctly and protected well, they can all come together to achieve the W - again much moreso for O+G than for almost any other army, except for perhaps Beastmen (who have their own slew of challenges). Remember that everything you field must be a very imminent "threat" in some way, except for maybe the core center 'line' of boyz (who end up winning the game for you a lot of the time anyway).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record, I personally think Giants are better suited for attacking smaller type elite troops. Mainly because the 'thump with club' option for bigger things is not such a good attack. Many big monsters have high initiative rolls - such as greater Daemons and can avoid it entirely. And if you roll a double, the club imbeds itself in the ground and you cant make any attack next round - bad thing.

In the end, the math works out much more in your favor by smashing the 'big fella' into enemy elite infantry or cavalry and causing 2D6 or 3D6 S6 hits (thunderstomp included in those hits)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I use a couple things to deal with monsters.
    First; The Aracknarok, this li'l guy is awesome, the number of wounds, the number of attacks, the super poison attack. The only thing I try to stay away from is the Necrosphinx as it has the Heroic Killing Blow attack (rare that it comes off, but if it does its not fun)
    Second; Poison, lots of. With Spider Riders, the Spider Banner and the Blessing o the Spider God I can fairly reliably pump out a lot of poisoned attacks in both combat and shooting. (little neat thing; Spider Riders being cavalry can't be stomped or thunder stomped, this really hurts the effectiveness of monsters in combat)

I would expect a fair number of Boar Boyz and/or Boar Chariots would be able to handle most monsters quite easily with the initial high volume of high strength hits/attacks. This may not be quite so good against the Tomb Kings monsters as they are T8 (I'm pretty sure, been some time since I've opened my TK book)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Thank you all, for your replies .

Your answers have given me, quite a bit, to think about . As with some of the units mentioned, I never would have though of them to be monster killers ... or at least tie one up til I can deal with it .

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

In general, I'd say one of Arachnaroks, Black Orcs, or Rock Lobbers. Maybe a Mangler Squig or a Giant if it doesn't get shot to death first.
    "The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.

+ Reply to Thread