New To Orcs & Goblins - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello all, I am new to Warhammer (played only very few games) and brand new to Orcs and Gobs army and was looking for some help from experienced players.

Unfortunately my local shop is going out of business, but the bright side was that I was able to get an old Army box of O&G for dirt cheap! (read half original price). After reviewing the contents it looked like I am missing hitty units, this is what is in the big box (all box sets are the new plastics):

Orc Boss
    Orc Boss Standard Bearer
    Goblin Shaman
    Orc Boyz Box
    Goblins Box
    Night Gobs Box x2
    Fanatics (3)
    Wolf Riders Box
    Rock Lobber
    Doom Diver

My personal take so far is that Goblin troops are fun, not serious, so I don't think more would be good. The Wolf riders though, appear to be the some of the best fast cav in the game and may warrant another box.

I would like to add muscle to my army with black orcs and boar boyz. The only standard troops he has left that I would consider are orc savage boyz. Also should I look at maybe a boss on a boar blister? Should I use the opportunity to do some rather cheap customizing as well since he has most everything? How good are chariots, both types?

Again I am new to Warhammer (I've got a Bretonnia army I've played through the Storm of Chaos campaigns) and brand new to O&G. No one at my venue even plays them so I have no idea how good they are but they appear to be one of the best armies available.

Any ideas, annectodes, mod recommendation and experiences are welcomed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Gobbo chariots, I also like Night Goblins (FANATICS!&#33 Normal goblins seem a waste to me. But wolf riders!!!! I'de say split them into 2 5 goblin squads that way you have some flanking. I don't like savage orc boyz but that is just me, if you like 'em go ahead. I'de say get a mob of Black orcs with great weapons and make your orc boos are black orc big boss and piut him with them. Also some boar boyz and a boss with them would help, and another box of plain orc boyz.
    Battle record.
    W/D/L
    Ultramarines:6/0/1
    Orks: 4/0/1
    World eaters:1/0/2
    O & G: 5/0/1

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

Chariots are great, the gobbo ones can charge from so far away it is unbelievable but can get beaten up pretty easily as they are only toughness 4. The orc chariots do the same impact hits but have a shorter charge range although they last longer once they are in combat. Swings and roundabouts really.

Black orcs rock as they never run away when other greenskins break from combat, they are also very hitty. Being able to give them additional hand weapons and great weapons makes them very flexible. Black orc big bosses and warbosses rule, as they are very hard and have toughness 5.

Boar boyz are also very helpful as the boars do high strength hits when they charge, the orcs aren't too bad either.

Basically if the shop is going out of business buy up the metal models for as cheap as you can as they tend to get expensive in the long run.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had some boar boyz still on his shelf for a rediculously low price (he hasn't applied the price increases in the last few years) with the additional discount it sounds like that will be a definite buy. I will add the BO with dual weapons I think, and skip the Savage boys for now, as they appear to be more durable.

Will a boss with the Boar boys help out or make the unit more of a target? Also with those few more special slots should I fill it with chariots to off set animosity or go for Spear Chukka's? I think the only good ranged items the O&G's have are the Lobber and Chukka not sure about the other Gobbo's...

My plan to build on the box short term:

40 Night Gobbos w/bow full command + 3 fanatics
    Gobbos with Spear/shield full command (probably buy another box to round this out to 40, more Gobbo's appear to be better)
    Orc Boyz w/ full command and Boss (another box here to make it 32)
    BO 2 weapons with full command (two boxes plus command blister I think)
    Boar Boyz w/ full command and Boss? (as many as he has on shelf, probably 15)
    Wolf Riders Spear/Bow (Maybe 20 so I have flixibility but don't think I would field them all)

Chariots?
    Spear Chukkas?
    Giant?

The Giant seems to be more my play style as well as boar chariots. I thought bows with the NG just becuase of the fanatics, i.e. get within 8 let loose with the fanatics then just stand there and shoot until dead or run away.

I was reading some of the other threads and It looks like one more shaman would be a good idea. What do you think about an Orc Shaman in a Boar Chariot?

Thanks for all the great feedback!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

Putting a shaman in a chariot is like painting a giant target on his forehead. They are better protected standing next to units as they can't be targeted if they are within 5 (I think) inches.

Given the current price of boarboyz I would buy as many as the guy has of them if they are that cheap, that way you can use what you need and if you have any over you can always sell them. I however am firmly of the opinion that you just can't ever have enough boar boyz

Night goblins suck with bows, they have a very short range, not a very high ballistic skill and bow shots are only strength 3. They are ok in smaller units but I wouldn't go for 40 of them. Spears are pretty handy as you can fight with your rear rank which makes them more effective in combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tip on the Shaman Lurch, I hadn't thought that far ahead. My feeling of the NG's were that, well I have 40 of them, they appear to be good for dying (i.e. taking the brunt of the Fanatics bouncing around after release) and their BS skill was higher than their WS. I guess netters make a difference but I have never seen them in action so I was unsure.

Looks like Spear Chukka's and Chariots need a serious look as well. The wolf chariot charge range is just crazy. Makes me want to play a Nomadic's Badland army of Gobbo Chariots and Wolf Ridders only at some point...

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

Chariots are really cool. Spear chuckas are good because they have high strength and give no saving throw. Great for whacking heavy cavalry.

Night goblins have rubbish weapon skill but if you look at the hit charts for close combat they hit anything with a weapon skill up to 4 on a 4+ anyway. And strength 3 isn't too bad against crap troops. Netters help as they can tie up troops while their mates bash them.

My next game is going to be an all cavalry army, just to see how it works

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took another look at the Army box, noticed that the Warboss is Grimgor which helped me decide on units, then made a run over to the store. Thank god there are not any O&G players there, it gives me my pick of what he has. I picked up two boxes of Orc Boar Boyz, a box of Black Orcs with two weapons and a giant and some orcy paint and ink. That give me an army list of about 2000 points:

Heros
    Grimgor w/ Black Orc body guard (I will use the standard bearer for this unit, auto w/blasted banner) 12 figs 626 pts
    Night Gobo Shaman, Nibbla's Itty Ring, Dispel Scroll, Lev 2, 145 pts
    Core
    20 Goblins w/full command, spears 100pts
    40 Night Gobs w/full command, spears + 3 fanatics 215 pts
    16 Orc Boyz w/full command, shield, choppas, 204 pts
    Wolf Riders w/full command, shield, bow, spear 170pts
    Special
    10 Orc Boar Boyz w/full command 218 pts
    1 Rock Lobber w/bully 75pts
    (the bodyguard count as a special too)
    Rare
    Giant 205 pts
    Doom Diver 80pts

That gives me a 1958pt army (if Army Builder is right) to start for an embarrassingly cheap price. I am torn between Spear Chukkas and Wolf Chariots for the last special slot. Also I probably need one more shaman for a 2000 pt army. But not a bad start! With lots of room to grow and units I will not have even tried yet, and plenty of different ways to split up what I have. There are still two boxes of Savage Boyz and two of Savage Boar Boyz over there that I had my eyes on... :rolleyes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for nitpicking, but did you forget to mention that your Goblins have Light Armour? Or else they don't cost 100 points.

Also you can't take the Blasted Standard, as that's a Chaos banner (for dudes with the mark of Tzeentch, to make it even more impossible ).

Other than that I like your list, even though I'm not a big fan of special characters. You should use your last few points for more Orc Boyz, as 16 just aren't enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea I didn't mention the armor for the gobbo's, basically I was just tooling up everything to make the points. I think I will pick up another box of Orc Boyz and Gobbo's to fill out those two units. Also condidering how much I like the BadLand list I think I will fill out those special slots with two wolf chariots and two spear chukkas. With that dizzying amount of variety I should be able to scale the army easily.

That just leaves savage boyz, snotlings, pump wagon, orc chariots.....

As far as the Blasted Banner that may be a bug in Army Builder. When you take Grimgor Ironhide you get a Black Orc command unit automatically attached, with full command and that Banner. I will have to check web site for the fantasy file to see if it is listed there and read my Storm of Chaos book as well.

Thanks for all the feedback.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast