Just starting Warhammer, what should I get for Orcs & Goblins? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just starting Warhammer, what should I get for Orcs & Goblins?

Recently my friend showed me Warhammer and now, well, I'm hooked. He had recently bought a starter set to get the Empire troops and the rulebook (his brother took their only one off to Iowa State with him). He gave me 12 Arrer Boys (the only Orc troops he hadn't sold) to start me off. Last night I got the Orcs & Goblins army book and a box of Common Goblins (they didn't have any Orcs). After I get this stuff done, what should I go for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what do you like, orcs , savage orcs, black orcs or common gobbos night gobbosetc the basic rule of thumb is to get 3 core and 2 heroes then play a few games and see from their
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your grammar is abysmal Plague :wacko:

Orcs are no doubt a flexible force. Take a look at the rules in the Orc book first. If you decide you want to play a pure horde, using Orcs and goblins in equal amounts, then I'd pick up another box of each, and come out with a big unit of orc infantry, some arrer boyz, and a unit of goblins with cc weapons and one with bows. Then grab a hero or two. Once you have this core army set up, it's best to buy some wacky stuff. This is at your discretion, there's so much of it that no one can tell you which to get. It's also good to get a nice artillery base going, since O&Gs have cheap war machines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I would get the batalion box. It comes with a big unit of orc boyz, some more arrer boyz, a orc chariot a order hero on a boar and some wolf riders. You can often get the batalion box for $60 or less on ebay.

Be advised that they are redoing the Orc and Goblin book at the moment and it should be out soon. This will mean alot of cool new mini's. Something to think about if you don't want to have dated mini's immediately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all down to you

Yeah if you don't know what to get next then don't go round taking advice from other's this way you might not end up with an army the suits you and interests you.
    For example all those years ago when I first started on Orcs and gobbos I was told that gobbos sucked and that I should go for black orcs, a giant and loads of orcs. Now I play with a heavily themed night goblin army from some mountains. I converted the chariots into sleds and have much larger squigs with riders on cavalry bases that count as wolf riders, I have mountain trolls (count as stone trolls) that have white scales lead by a green troll that I have a story for (basically he used to be a goblin that was captured by skaven and had his brain put in a troll's body and then was bought by my warlord) . I'm even working on building a huge yeti (nothing to do with the ogre kingdoms one) to use as a giant!!!

So basically read, read, read and read a bit more about the orcs and goblins and see what strikes you as a cool idea. Don't just go out and buy models without really knowing what you're going to end up with!!! Also It's so much more fun and interesting if you write some kind of background for where you army came from and how it's characters came about, it'll probably give you even more ideas!!!

So just a few random ideas for you to investigate:

Forest Goblins

A roaming horde of just mounted units in chariots, boars and wolves

A grimgor's 'ard boyz list from the storm of chaos book

Night goblins

Have fun reading!!!!
    Gretchin: Please, no more kicking.
    Yoda : Kick you, I must. For your own good, it is.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also agree that you should identify the models that you like the best and go with them. With O&G there are so many possible combinations it really comes down to personal preference. Do you want to go rock hard with Black Orcs? Then get the Storm of Chaos book so you can play the Grimgor list, build the list then buy the models. Do you like cavalry? Personnally I play a badlands list (though I could field about anything because I have probably 4000+ points with all my special characters) not for the power just because I love the wolf rider models...

Short list of very usefull units:
    Wolf Riders
    Boarboyz
    Spear Chukkas

But everyone has their own preference...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the pending release of new models in September/October this year, I wouldn't spend too much just yet. Perhaps get enough for a 500 point list. That should keep you painting until the new models come out and will give you a good idea as to what you should look at adding to your army.

Good luck and welcome to the game.
    W/L/D
    Dwarfs 20/12/4
    Skaven 8/6/3
    Lizardmen 5/4/2
    Chaos 6/4/0
    Empire 3/1/1
    Wood Elves 2/0/1
    Bretonnians 0/2/1
    Orcs & Goblins 0/1/0
    Next Army - Tomb Kings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play orks alot and I can tell you that a big unit of big unz and another of ork boyz is a pretty good force and wolfboyz are some of the scariest models in the game for their points.
    My armies are studly!
    W/D/L
    Empire 25/1/2
    chaos 8/0/2
    Hyrulian Knights 7/3/1

Take the fight to them
    Have faith is suspician

(\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this message into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try playing a few games against your friend using proxies, that is, find something suitable to represent different units so you can field test them, and see what you like.

The first thing you should get is proabably a few heroes: at least one Big Boss and one Shaman. Pick the kinds you like, whether from the background, the look of the model, or the rules they have. That will give you a sort of minimum army: 2 core units, a General, and some magic.

Next you should probably get another regiment: either something core (like Orc or Savage Orc boys, Goblin Wolfriders if you like goblins) or maybe Black Orcs or Boar Boys.

Now, after that, although I guess it won't give you the greatest army in the world from a strategic point of view, but as far as keeping it interesting, I would pick out some of the more unusual stuff, something you really like. A Giant, Trolls, artillery or chariots. Really, anything from the Special and Rare units that catches your eye. This way, you don't get too bored painting Boyz all the time. Remember that in a 2000 point army, you can have up to 2 rare units, and up to 4 special units

After this, you should have some sort of theme or strategy, so you can use that to decide where to go. And of course, if you can get stuff more economically (like the cheep battalion boxes mentioned by someone else, or from Battle for Skull Pass) those can help build up your army quickly to.

One final note for painting you hordes: prime on the sprue, and don't glue arms or shields on to models until both are fully painted. You will save yourself alot of trouble, just like i do when i remember to take the same advice, which is sadly rare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(QUOTE) Personnally I play a badlands list (though I could field about anything because I have probably 4000+ points with all my special characters) not for the power just because I love the wolf rider models...

Short list of very usefull units:
    Wolf Riders
    Boarboyz
    Spear Chukkas

But everyone has their own preference...[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just finished a new unit for my night goblins (this is a good Idea for all you new players that like the night goblin models and want a themed army with something other then night gobbos on foot and squigs) they're the wolf riders straight from the box but for the rider instead of usuing the parts provided, use the riding legs but then attach night goblin torsos, arems and heads for a really good looking (and if you compare them to normal gobbos) hard hitting fast unit. You can mix the parts up to by using the normal goblin heads here and there as well as the torsos and arms and you can use the extra parts you have from the wolf rider box to complete the night goblins that you sacrificed the parts from - all this helps your night goblin units become more varied and interesting to construct as we all know that paining 40 of almost the same miniature can get tedious!!!:yes:
    Gretchin: Please, no more kicking.
    Yoda : Kick you, I must. For your own good, it is.....

+ Reply to Thread