A new kind of Orcs and Goblins army: Forest goblins only - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new kind of Orcs and Goblins army: Forest goblins only

Fist of all, I've never played WHFBG before except when I showed up for the mega battle on the wrong day. I was reading through my new copy of White Dwarf when I saw the new Forest Goblin Spider Riders, and thought I would try to do an entire army of Forest Goblins. Here's some Ideas I came up with to represent models:

Couts as
    Model

Common Goblins or Night Goblins
    Spider Riders with legs replaced with other goblins, possibly Gnoblars, some with the equipped spears and shields or Night Goblin short bows to represent the respectave equipment. Goblins with bear traps to reperesent netters and some sort of rabid wolf or forest beast for fanatics.

Spider Riders
    ditto

Giant
    Captured and tortured treeman. Most likely with an ent or durthu's head because I dont like the treeman head.

Trolls
    those mini treemen from the Wood Elves. You know.
    Possibly river or chaos trolls converted to look like "forest trolls." Dont know how you would make a troll look foresty tho. Help here

Shamans and Bosses
    Converted Spider Riders

Rock Lobba
    Treemen or mini treemen throwing rocks. Think Lord of the Rings. More likely mini treemen if i convert "forest trolls."

Thats all I got so far, pretty obvious stuff. If anyone can come up wiht anything to add to this list it would be greatly appreciated. Also, Forest Goblins look rather small. Do you guys think Gnoblar legs with salvaged feet from the rider would work, or would i have to sculpt something?

Also check this picture out: (scroll down to the spider riders) http://www.warseer.com/taxonomy_menu/2/9

Are these the spider riders from the boxed set or the skull pass set? Is this how all the Spider riders will be "sprued," or is this some sort of command sprue? If this is how all the spider riders are going to be sprued, (why would they include 3 regular goblins on a command sprue?) this means that you will probably get 10 of these, (that one spider is the commanders spider,) meaning i could make 10 riders and 40 infantry off one box! But, its probably too good to be true.

Also, any help constructing an effective army list using this limited selection of units would be greatly appreciated, as I am very clueless concerning WHFBG's rules and tactics.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

The idea of a themed army like that is great.

The new spider riders do come in a box of 10 with enough to make a full command in the unit. However they are not like normal cavalry models as the riders don't have separate legs. The rider is mostly a one piece model that sits on the flat part of the spider. It does however mean you won't need to do any conversion as the spiders are ridden by forest goblins anyway.

To make a troll look foresty try and glue lichen to its body to make it look like it is covered in moss type stuff. If you are good with green stuff you could even try and model a birds nest to go on its head.

You can actually buy forest goblin infantry units from the UK Games Workshop site as they used to be an actual unit. You can even buy the old spider riders made of metal, but the new ones look better. They are however outrageously expensive.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does however mean you won't need to do any conversion as the spiders are ridden by forest goblins anyway.
    Yeah, the fact that forest goblins ride the spiders is what inspired the army. I mean, spider riders would be pretty rare even among forest goblins, (how many goblins can tame a spider without getting eaten?) so there must be a whole slew of forest goblins, that for some reason aren't common participants in the armys of orcs, and I intend to represent them.

The birds nest on the head is a great idea! I was also thinking of having river trolls and putting dangeling seaweed and stuff all over them.

Yes, those forest goblin infantry are expensave. Very expensave. More expensave than converting the already expensave spider riders box.

You guys know if there's any things like owls, birds, rabbits, rats, stuff like that that i could spice up my bases a little with?

New unit:

Orc Boar Chariot
    Great forest creature, (giant lizard, mabie moose, too wood elfy?) with gobbos riding on the back chucking spears etc.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

Games workshop used to do a huge spider model for characters to ride and it came on a 40mm base. I have seen them converted to pull a goblin chariot before and they looked awesome. Alternatively you could get a standard goblin chariot and have it drawn by spiders from the box set.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A jaint spider is a great idea, why hadn't i thought of that before? I'm just not crazy about that classic model. I'd rather use Shelob.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can order some old forest goblins through mail order which would probably fit well with what you're doing. I think they may even have a shaman model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for the giant make it a giant giant spider like i mean big
    2550 Tau
    3000 Ogre Kingdoms
    3000 Chaos SM

+ Reply to Thread