Facing shooty-oriented armies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Facing shooty-oriented armies

When I face full-melee armies, or balanced ones, every game turns out to be a funny way to spend a couple of hours, no matter who wins.
    When I face Empire or Dwarves it becomes just horrible -__-
    There's no way I can manage to get in close combat with a strong impact. Foot-slogged units usually take 3 full turns + Waaagh (without any animosity) to reach the enemy lines, and just 8\9 models manage to. Hoppers are great but they can charge on turn 2, or they may even end up in front of the enemy lines, 2" away from 20 Crossbows. Boarboyz usually get raped....

My common list is something like this:

Black Orc great her, with Boar boyz
    Black Orc hero, inside Orc unit #1
    Black Orc hero, inside Orc unit #2
    Orc Shaman (deployement depends on the picked spells)

20 orks, dual choppas
    20 orks, dual choppas
    20 night gobbos, 3 fanatics
    5 goblins on spiders (no idea what their translation is),musician
    5 goblins on wolves (as above),musician

9 Boar boyz, magic standard with +1 attack
    8 hoppers
    2 spear throwers (no idea about the tranlation -__- pg55, below the catapult-like warmachine)
    1 orc chariot

2 doom divers

Each unit (apart from the light cavalry) has a full command group. I can't list each heor's equipment or I'll become crazy trying to guess the translations from italian x__x Anyhow each black ork is heavily melee oriented, Shaman's equipment depends from the opponents army. He may have 2 dispell scrolls, dispel+roziko's ring, or ring + other stuff.

Any suggestions how to face those armies who just sit on a hill shooting? In 40k those kind of armies make me laugh, but I've only recently began playing WHFB and I definitely struggle against them. Is there a way to fight a balanced game without having to completely modify my army list ? _

thanx in advance for any help!

Actually Playing:
    40k : Necron ,Chaos, Space Orks ,Eldar ,Dark Angels, 'Nyds
    WHFB : Orks & Gobbos, Vampire Counts

G3n3s1s is located at:
    4430′N 1121′E

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

A friend at my local store plays two or three chariots, a unit of wolves, and four or five units of spiders. Plus a giant sometimes. And oh yeah, one or two units of boar riders.

It's a nasty, nasty list that is very fast. He engages on his second turn of movement, especially with the Waagh! involved.

I'd build in some speed. Maybe not as much as this guy, but a few fast, hard to kill units can really cause problems for shooty armies.

And what magic items do you have available? Anything to dampen the effect of shooting?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I haven't found any magical item that's useful against shooty armies _

That kind of list, full of cavalry and chariots, is definitely nasty against a shooty army, but that would mean a huge change for me >_< I can use up to 20 spiders, maybe I may try to play 4 units of 5+musician to force my opponent to split his fire. Some spiders will be blasted away, but if a single unit manages to charge a warmachine or move behind crossbows\empire troops it should manage to annoy the opponent.

Now I have to paint a ton of spiders....ugh -__-

Actually Playing:

G3n3s1s is located at:
    4430′N 1121′E

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

SPiders are like dire wolves, very expendable.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would say run 2-3 units of Wolf riders. the speed will let you charge the cannons on turn 2 if your lucky. also the point dosnt need to be to kill the weapon teams but to hold them up so your orc's can get into close combat. Also you can always pray that you roll gorks warpath.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

the more light cavalry I play, the better it goes >_>

I tried 2 units of 5 spiders and 2 units of wolf riders, + 2 units of 8 hoppers, and 9 boar riders few inches behind. This game went much better, but I don't really like when I'm forced to play a completely different list just to face a couple of armies >__<

I wish I could take 2 goblin chariots as a single choice _ I miss some things from the old codex,sigh :(

Actually Playing:

G3n3s1s is located at:
    4430′N 1121′E

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed you only use one shaman, i would sugest getting one or to more. You spent alot of points on black orc heroes who don't get into combat. i use aleast two shamans and often three. with three shamans even dwarves will have trouble stoping your majic phase. your freinds will sweat it out looking for big green feet and fist falling from the sky that aleast a few of the foot-sloggers will make it into combat with an effective number to win the day
    Last edited by JIMVV27; March 31st, 2007 at 02:25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I haven't tried a magic-heavy list yet, I usually play 2 shamans against khemri to stop his nasty additional movement\combat\shooting spells.
    I think that a couple of black orcs are necessary to help my units win their combats. Today I had 7 orcs vs 35 goblins, my black orc hero challenged my opponent's chief and caused a +2 bloodbath, together with some kills from my orcs I won the combat and destroyed his unit >_>
    3 Shamans are a bit too much...against some opponents I'd probably try them but it's not something I'd play in an all-comers list. If I had to go heavy on magic, I'd play lvl4 shaman + 3 lvl2 shamans, 2 doom divers and tons of spear throwers....shooting orcs ftw !

Actually Playing:

G3n3s1s is located at:
    4430′N 1121′E

+ Reply to Thread