The best ranged O+G - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best ranged O+G

i was wondering what is the best choice of ranged combat that you could get for an oircs and goblins army, currently i have a night goblin sqaud (spears musician etc), a wolf rider squad(spears also) a squig herder unit, 3 fanatics and a night goblin big boss on great cave squig

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a rule O&G are not known for their exceptional ranged combat. Your choices are really limited to 2 options:

1. Bows - gobs can take short bows which are okay [limited tange] but don't expect to do huge damage. Orcs have bows which are better but they are all BS 3 and S3 so unless you are shooting skaven slaves you should not expect to do much damage. Against an army like Dwarves or Chaos I wouldn't bother with either.
    2. Warmachines - you have 3 choices Rock Lobber, Bolt Thrower and Doom Diver
    The rock lobber is okay if you are good at guessing ranges and can crush lots of troops if you are lucky
    The Bolt thrower is okay but BS 3 and sometimes long range, cover etc means that you can't count on it hitting [unlike elf BT for example]
    Doom divers are fun and can correct for [sometimes] better accuracy.

Therefore I would not focus on ranged combat too much. Have a bit is fine at your flanks and a war machine or two can be handy but you won't win a game with them. O&G have a very subtle and devious tactic - run forward as fast as you can and bash. That will win you more games than trying to sit back and shoot could ever do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the advice, bashing sounds good{goofy} and i think that some black orcs will do good for that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spear Chukka's are fantastic I always take 2 in every army list. A great use of a special choice and they always make their points back especially if your playing against an enemy with expensive heavily armed troops.

The only downside I've found with em is finding fireing lanes between all the big mobs of goblins I have.

Doom Divers are ok but as they use up a rare I only tend to take one in larger games. Rock Lobba's I haven't really used much of but they're just a normal stone thrower so are often pretty usefull. As for bows I really havn't found a role for them where they're effective enough to mean they're better than just a normal spear or hand weapon unit.

+ Reply to Thread