New Ork Codex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Ork Codex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

New Ork Codex

Hi There! M first post.:party: anwheys, i have been out of the hobby for about a year now, and have just started up again. However, i have heard rumors that there is a new ork codex, i.e. 4th edition, available.;? could anyone clarify???

thanks!!;Y

Father Mulcahy: Just as the Lord said to Noah, "Everything in pairs."
    Pierce Hawkeye: Of course the Lord was holding three aces at the time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a new codex: Orks and Orks are now a very competitive army. You might want to also know that come August GW are rolling out 5th Edition 40k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As well as a new codex, there are of course a bundle of new figures out including a really cool Big Mek with a Shokk attack Gun that is awesome and many players seem to be using.
    "The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, and yet you still dare oppose our will."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Summing up

The big changes:

1. Looted wagons are a lot cheaper, but only have armor, and don't get the other army's rules/weapons. The Battlewagon now has a lot of new options, and armor, but is of course more expensive. I think of the looted wagon as the 'looted rhino' of the old codex and the new battlewagon as the 'looted land raider'. You can give either an ordnance cannon too, but the one on the looted wagon is better than the one for the battlewagon.

2. Choppas no longer reduce armor saves.

3. Units of or more are fearless, and anything lower has leadership equal to unit size. There are no additional 'mob rule' rolls required.

4. Grotts now suck.

5. Shoota and slugga boyz are now much better. They're both cheaper, and shoota boyz guns are assault . Units of boyz go up to 30 in size.

6. Once per game, in any round besides the first, all of your units on foot can gain fleet during the shooting phase. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

7. There are a lot of great new orky rules and upgrades.

8. Nobz on bikes, with a painboy accompanying them, is now the most vicious close combat unit in the game. Seriously, the last player who used them at the local tournament tore everyone else apart.
    Last edited by Lost Nemesis; March 6th, 2008 at 23:38.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x6)

2 minor corrections.
    1.Boy mobs could always be 30 strong I believe, just you never needed to be that large before.
    2.Grots do not suck they have a very important role. For 40 points you now have a unit that claims a table quarter/ objective, and can be the closed unit to get zapped by the shokk attack where necessary.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

True, but...

Quote Originally Posted by MouseC112 View Post
    2 minor corrections.
    1.Boy mobs could always be 30 strong I believe, just you never needed to be that large before.
    2.Grots do not suck they have a very important role. For 40 points you now have a unit that claims a table quarter/ objective, and can be the closed unit to get zapped by the shokk attack where necessary.
    You're right on the first thing. I couldn't remember off hand if they could or not, as no one (at least no one I knew) ever played them with 30 boyz. Everyone used closer to 20, so I wasn't certain. I thought I'd mention it to be sure.

As for grotts, it's true that they aren't completely useless, but let's face it, they lost most of their abilities and gained nothing. A team of 10 shoota boyz is 60 points, compared to 40 points for 10 grotts and a runtherd. If you really need an 'extra' unit to hold table corners, block and such, you might as well spend the extra 20 points to vastly improve the unit's abilities. The 10 shoota boyz fire 20 strength 4 AP 6 shots a round= 7 hits= 3.5 wounds against meks= at least 1 meq dead at 18in range. The grotts fire 10 strength 3 AP shots a round (at BS 3 admittedly)= 5 hits = 1.66 wounds = 0.55 meq dead at 12in range.

I love the grotts fluff, but shoota boyz are twice as good in shooting, at least three times as good in close combat, and won't run away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

I'll say that Grots still have their uses.

I personally see a huge use for them in Cities of Death...just for their ability to entertainingly clear mine fields.

Also, what would you rather use to hold up a dread or a carnie? A mob of Boyz that are probably not going to be able to kill it over the course of the game? Or a unit of grots?

They're also useful if you need some emergency reinforcements for purposes of outnumbering.

...I'd also happily plop them front and center to force my opponent to take targeting priority tests. The one time they suck a volly of fire on a botched leadership test they make their points back...and it really doesn't matter what would have been shot instead.

...finally...haven't you ever see the magik grots at work? Those grot blastas can be quite a bit more effective than you would think...primarily because they grots will get over looked until it's too late.

Honestly...grots or boyz. Who are you going to shoot at? 30 grots and 3 runtherders can still do some damage in CC...especially when they get to shoot first. And besides that...there's always the times when you don't need to kill that enemy unit as much as you just need to tie them up while your boyz finish killing something else.
    Wake. Rise. Destroy. Conquer.
    We have done so once. We will do so again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Well...

I'd rather have the boyz fight the carnifex in CC because they actually have a chance of killing it, as I always give the nob a powerklaw.

I'm not saying the grotts are bad, but shoota boyz are better. Yes, grotts can work out, but I can't think of a case where shoota boyz wouldn't at least do as well, and they'll almost certainly do better.

When the 5th edition rules come out, however, they may become more useful. If the rumors are true, then units will the block line of sight of other units the same size. In other words, a string of grotts in front of your army will block your enemy's line of sight, leaving them no option but to shoot the grotts. In this case, a single team of grotts may indeed be useful, as completely expendable living walls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    I'd rather have the boyz fight the carnifex in CC because they actually have a chance of killing it, as I always give the nob a powerklaw.

I'm not saying the grotts are bad, but shoota boyz are better. Yes, grotts can work out, but I can't think of a case where shoota boyz wouldn't at least do as well, and they'll almost certainly do better.

When the 5th edition rules come out, however, they may become more useful. If the rumors are true, then units will the block line of sight of other units the same size. In other words, a string of grotts in front of your army will block your enemy's line of sight, leaving them no option but to shoot the grotts. In this case, a single team of grotts may indeed be useful, as completely expendable living walls.
    While I would most definetly rather fight a carnie with something that could actually kill it, my thought process is that I would rather throw da boyz at something they could more easily kill first and save the carnie for when there's nothing else standing in reach.

IMO the difference between a carnie/dread being held up by a mob of boyz vs a mob of grots is that, in the event of a counter-assault of some sort losing the boyz will hurt.

OTOH, losing the grots will be funny.
    Wake. Rise. Destroy. Conquer.
    We have done so once. We will do so again.