Welcome to Librarium Online!
Hello everyone ^_^
Some time ago I started using MMS rules for Eldar and I think that they are very good and in many aspects a lot better than original MSM rules. But fluff wise it just doesn't feel right for Eldars to have normal shields so I startet to think about making few changes to those rules. Please reviev them:
1. Movement- Eldar ships move just like in MMS rules, but they can turn any direction before the move (no max. turn rate), and they use speeds from the original MSM rules.
2. Armour- all Eldar ships have armour of 5.
3. Force Fields (FF)- Eldar ships are protected by sophisticated FF that deflect enemy attacks. Ship with active FF count as having armour of 6 on prow and sides. In addition they don't count as ship without shields for the purpose of blast markers and celestial phenomena. FF is destroyed and can't be repaired when the ship suffers Superstructure damaged critical hit.
4. Holofield- works like in MSM rules, but HF save is reduced to 3+ at ranges of 45cm and less.
5. Turrets- Eldar ships have turrets in the same number as in MMS rules.
6. Asteroid Fields and Celestial Phenomena- same as in MMS rules.
7. Dying Race- same as in MMS rules.
8. Critical Hits- Eldar suffer CH on the roll of 6, just like any other race.
9. Pulse Lances- Eldar lances have twice the fire rate of the lances of other races. Str./Firepower of Eldar lances is doubled on every ship. In addition when they score 6 on to hit roll they ignore shields, HF/SF and reactive hull save rolls (if Necron ship is on BFI order it's save is reduced to 4+ for every lance shot that scored 6 on to hit roll).
10. Eldar ships have the same point cost and armaments as in MSM rules.
11. All other rules are the same as in MMS rules.
Glad to see you like the Eldar MMS rules so much. At the moment a lot of work has been done on version 1.7.
The change you made to the shields is a considering one I will certainly look a little deeper into.
The point is shields work and everyone knows how. But as you also point out there are a lot of people who do not like the idea of standard shields on an Eldar vessel.
I have tried various approaches on how to tackle it but I couldn't come up with a proper one (the latest was a save based on the Leadership value.... ;o).
Your change does mean the critical hit table needs to be adjusted a little.
The pulsar lance issue. I know there are quite a few people who do not like the Pulsar lance as it is. Most of them would like to see the Dark Eldar variant used (4 = 1 hit, 5-6 = 2 hits). While I was on the brink of doing that the original MMS creator (Sigoroth) let me know he wanted the original Pulsar to stay. So I did. Not knowing what the future might bring.
Be sure you post some test results of your variant. That is much appreciated.
WARP RIFT - The Battlefleet Gothic Online Fanzine
Download it here:
Thanks for the reply
About lances: at the beginning I really liked PL rules, but in time I started to think that they are to dependant on the luck alone, sure they are deadly with the LO order (maybe even too deadly) but in normal circumstances they are rarely better than normal lances. Once I tried using them like that: 1-2 miss 3-4 one hit 5-6 2 hits, it worked quite well. I thought about doubling their firepower becouse that's what happened to them in Epic and normal W40k.
About FF: I don't think CHT needs adjusting since Tau use similar tech (deflectors), mabe just change FF so it is disabled with prow CH?
And to the testing, I played 1500p. battle using those rules against IN some time ago, I don't remember it so well to make battle report but it worked well and I loose (thanks to the dying race and some terrible command rolls ^_^), but the IN player was happy with the rules and said that they are very fluffy. I didn't have more occasions to test them since my friends (and myself) are currently very busy with the studies but I will surely try to test them on first occasion.