Epic 40k And Wh40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Besides having a larger army, what are the differences between epic and WH? Are there any significant changes in the rules? I know each model definately won't be as customizable, but what else? Is the points system the same? Do battles take longer because of the large armies?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

I have been working with the playtest for a while, so I guess I can explain your Q's easily.

Besides having a larger army, what are the differences between epic and WH?
    A lot, but armies aint really bigger. Instead of single miniatures, it operates on a squad-scale, so each "stand" represents a single squad of troops. Vehicles are represented by a single model each.

Are there any significant changes in the rules?
    Buddy, that's a stupid question. Epic is developed by Fanatic instead of the GD, and they have created a completely new system for it... much faster in application, too. Let's see it on the example of the shooting procedure:

40k:
    -Check LOS and range
    -Roll to hit
    -Roll for cover saves
    -Roll to wound (big table, isn't it?)
    -Armor or Invulnerable saves.

Epic:
    -Check LOS and range
    -Roll to hit (including cover modifiers)
    -Roll for cover saves
    -Roll for armor save
    -If the above failed, then Invulnerable save or Reinforced Armor save is rolled (if any).

In Epic you also don't have all the weird statlines, thus each unit is described in quite self-explanatory way. Also all the primary stats are described not in some strange check-and-consult-with-the-table numbers, but in a D6 roll for armor, to hit with small arms and in close combat etc.

I know each model definately won't be as customizable, but what else?
    Nope. You can customize models. I know a person (the author of 2003 Golden Demon Logan Grimnar on Epic and 40k scale, BTW), who purchased the Forgeworld's multi-part Epic scale Marines and is in progress of converting them all into Grey Knights. Models are customizable, it's just a lil bit harder to do.

Is the points system the same?
    As the whole system is made from scratch, it's illogical to assume that the point costs are the same as in 40k.

Do battles take longer because of the large armies?
    I wouldn't say so. An average battle will take about the same as an average game of 40k.

Oh, and you should just go to Fanatic's Epic: Armageddon site, cause they have put the entire rulebook for download there. I hope this will answer all your questions.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Why did they need to change epic anyway? it was the most accessible and easy to play game in the GW range anyway- hunt out a copy of Space Marine and let the good times roll......
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They re-released it because it wasnt that popular. Now with the revised rules and models, more people are getting into it(including me and my friends). This equates into more $$$ for GW.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

they ruined it initially because they brought out the Titan Legion expansion which tipped the balance in favour of the Mega Gargant and massive Titan armies, before you COULD win a battle with infantry actions alongside tank companies, it was a great game but it became too easy to win for the players who just play to win not to have fun open games. Originally you could recreate Stalingrad type battles with thousands of infantry backed up by tanks and planes and vicious urban warfare. I hope the remade game takes it back to that.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

I'd say so. Check out yourself at www.epic40000.com

Closed Thread