BFG - one for me? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x1)

BFG - one for me?

Hello, I'm relatively new to the entire wargaming front, having been enticed in by my dual love of Dawn of War and TBS computer games. I always find myself preferring spaceship games over ground-based ones, and I'm considering, once my current projects have reached a stable equilibrium of playability - that is, at least 1500 points each - starting up a BFG fleet. The problem is, while I've read the "What fleet for me?" text, I still can't decide. Necrons and Orks are right out, as I don't like the cheesiness of the former or the playstyle and models of the latter.

My preference would be having fewer, more specialized and survivable - but not necessarily sturdy - ships that need to collaborate and mutually support one another, and that requires a high degree of strategic and tactical thinking and cunning. Think Tomb Kings crossbred with Eldar from the two major games. I want to face a harsh learning curve that still leaves me to discover clever new tricks and ideas in drips and drabs over the years. If it also allowed me to go off on tangents during games, indulge a few wacky ideas and explore some wild new stratagems without leaving the fleet either overpowered or unable to win those specific games, I'd be in heaven.

What fleets should I consider?
    And what should a very basic, small scale starter list for that/those fleet(s) consist of?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Oh, yeah - I also always like playing more obscure factions than the most popular ones, take that as you want.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I have read, it seems Chaos fits the bill quite well. They are durable compared to many races (Tau/Eldar/Orks) and have brilliant long and medium range firepower compared to many fleets, infact I would go so far as to say that they are the masters of the 45cm broadside!

They do still need to mutally support one another though, but their better range on their weapons compared to many opponents allows them to disperse a little more than, say, Imperials, who have to bunch up to get them ost out of supporting ships.

As a starting fleet I would suggest getting two cruiser boxes (Imperials and Chaos are easily the cheapest fleet for line-ships) and make up three basic cruisers and a Heavy Cruiser.

My personal favourites are:

Styx Heavy Cruiser - Adds stunning ordnance firepower to your fleet, and in small engagements can win the game for you if used right. The downside is that it is almost as expensive as a full on Battleship.

2 Murder class Cruisers - Lunars with bite. They are good all-rounders with an amazing 10 firepower with decent range on either side, and lances that the Imperium can only dream of. Support a heavier cruiser with these babies and capitals will die in droves.

Carnage class Cruiser - Firepower firepower firepower. After knocking off shields from enemy ships with a few good lance volleys from the Murders, wade in with some of this over-gunned beauties broadsides and nothing will remain with a bit of dice luck. Again benefitting form superior Chaos waepons range and speed, this thing is guaranteed to put a nice big hole in something on a good turn, provided you have a bit of lance support from your other fleet elements.

Thats all the advice I can give really, I am primarily a Tyranid/Tau player. But I do know what kills me, and Chaos is the seocnd scariest fleet I face (Eldar are the first).

Good luck!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x2)

The Chaos assesment is flawed (sorry)* and it doesn't fit the bill of 'obscure' and 'harsh learning curve'. Chaos is 2nd most mainstream and the easiest fleet to play with.

*On Chaos
    -Styx is generally considered a poorer choice then the Devastation
    -The Murder is outclassed by the Carnage
    -Carnages and Devastations are the back-bone of any good Chaos fleet

Back to the initial question:
    'harsh - survivable, fewer, specialized - obscure'

Only few fit that bill:
    * All out Demiurg fleet
    * Craftworld Eldar - much harder to learn then Corsair (keep in mind I hate the official rules for Eldar; Eldar MMS House rules ftw!)
    * Space Marines - Battlebarges
    * Tyranids
    WARP RIFT - The Battlefleet Gothic Online Fanzine
    Download it here:
    http://www.epic40k.co.uk/bfgmag/index.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

84 (x1)

How about the Dark Eldar? How do they play? Can their fleets maneouver well enough to avoid being slaughtered?

I'm willing to take an acceptable margin of loss, but hopefully less than 50-60% of my fleet.

Horizon, your input has helped me greatly. Whereas I before had only 2 don't-wants, I am now basically dithering between Craftworld Eldar and Dark Eldar. I think I'll buy their two 40k codices, read through them, then read through the BBB and whatever responses I get, and then choose.
    Rep for you.
    Last edited by Tutankhankh; August 22nd, 2008 at 14:09.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x2)

DE are a one-hit wonder. They can be boring to play. They should strike, then disengage. They do have not much staying power even with their movement.
    WARP RIFT - The Battlefleet Gothic Online Fanzine
    Download it here:
    http://www.epic40k.co.uk/bfgmag/index.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

84 (x1)

Ok, then Craftworld it is.

Thank you. I believe this topic is to be considered finished, and thus lockable.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)