Converting. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Converting.

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

Converting.

No, not ships - people!

As far as I can see, nowhere near as many people play Battlefleet Gothic as might be expected. I mean, it's a fantastic game, the models are remarkably cheap, you don't need an awful lot to play, the rules and player aids are free and it is pretty much run by fans. But still, comparatively few people play BFG.

So... I think it would be a nice excercise for us beleaguered few BFG playing LO denizens to compile a thread containing the reasons we choose to play BFG. Also, if any potential new players have any BFG-related questions, we'll be able to answer them, if our responces haven't done so already. Obviously, to get the ball rolling, I'll go first.

The main reason that I first got into BFG is that I love the idea of ship-to-ship combat. Obviously, there are other ship-to-ship games out there, but not all of them benefit from the fantastic 40K universe setting. Add to that the fact that I think the models are fantastic and the game-system is streamlined yet not over-simplified and you've got a winning combination!

The next reason that I chose BFG was cost. When I first put together a fleet, it was to be a 1500 point Imperial Navy battlegroup. The ships that I purchased were 4 cruisers (made a Mars Battlecruiser and 3 Lunar Cruisers), an Emperor class Battleship, 3 Firestorm frigates and 3 Sword frigates. This, with a Fleet Admiral came to exactly 1500 points. That fleet, cost me a grand total of £56, as I've been playing 40k for longer than BFG and already had paint and glue, etc. That's £56 for a fully workable, tactically flexible fleet. I compare that to the £150 (roughly) I had to spend just to get a small, workable force of 40K Imperial Guard and wonder what I was thinking when I chose to play that over BFG all those years ago.

Another very important reason in my decision was the customisability of the game. In the original rulebook, there are plenty of cool ships that it is possible to make - add to this the dozens of fan-made ships (which are eminently playable) and the possibilities become endless.

Which leads me nicely on to the final point I wish to raise. The players themselves. There are several sites, run by fans of the game, which are, frankly, brilliant. On these sites, you can find additional rules, fluff, conversions, fanfics and more on such sites and in a much more friendly and comradely atmosphere than their sister-sites devoted to 40K.

So there you have it - my two pence. Come on, fellow BFG gamers - I know you won't let me down!

Last edited by thechaplain; September 3rd, 2008 at 18:40.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

I just absolutely loved the models, the Imperial ships just look brilliant. My favourites are the Necron ships, but I haven't got any partially due to lack of BFG opponents and partially because they are a powerful fleet.

I was always intrigued by BFG and thought it looked really fun, the relatively low cost was an added bonus for me. But I think if it was going to cost as much as a 40k army to get a fleet going I probably wouldn't have ended up buying anywhere near as much. Then I was able to download the rules and read them through, which got me even more interested because they looked like lots of fun.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x2)

hmmm, will you attract many people by posting this in the BFG section? Maybe a good intro article for Firebase or LO's new ezine will help somewhat.

Battlefleet Gothic has Warp Rift, a two monthly online fanzine, with + 15000 downloads per issue (rising).

Started BFG in '99 with a friend. Chaos fleet, build it up to +3500 points. To keep it interesting I repainted half of that fleet into a blue colour, theming a Renegade Character Fleet.

Over the years I aquired more fleets: Corsair Eldar (1750pts), Craftwold Eldar (1500pts /not finished), Tau CPF (1750pts), Adeptus Mechanicus (1400 pts /non finished), kitbashed Rogue Traders (~1000pts).

In '05 I took the precious work of Sigoroth and together we developed the Eldar MMS House Rules (for balance, tactics and fun), first release 2006, now short before release 1.9.

In '07 I became main editor of Warp Rift, taking over the torch from Cybershadow. At the end of this month issue 20 will be released.
    WARP RIFT - The Battlefleet Gothic Online Fanzine
    Download it here:
    http://www.epic40k.co.uk/bfgmag/index.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, i gave up playing 40k years ago, when i was in like year ten or something, so 6ish years ago, simply because i just couldnt aford it anymore. i still wanted to colect some sort of wargame, and gothic had alwaysed apealed to me, mainly due to the art work in books of the imperial navy, and background fluff about the imperial navy. i looked up price lists and was amazed how cheap it was.

so, i persuaded a friend to start collecting with me, and after a very short time, he had colected a large eldar pirate force, and i had a large imperial battlefleet, comprising of a retribution and an emperor class battleship, overlord and mars class battlecruisers, dictator class cruiser, dominator class cruiser, 2 gothic class cruisers, 2 dauntless class light cruisers, 3 firestorm frigates, 3 sword frigates, and 4 cobra destroyers. over the years though i slowly lost touch with the game, mainly because when i left school i moved out of the area, and lost touch with my friend who collected with me, and as you have allready said, bfg players are few and far between.

iv recently got back into 40k because i can aford it again, and im about to start an ork army, along with a m8 who is starting a black templars army. i sugested as a side note, we should also collect bfg as a side project, collecting the fleet relavent to our armies, which he seemed interested in, so, hopefuly, il be getting back into the game with orks now
    W/D/L
    Hive Fleet Penance - 3500 Points - 4/1/0
    Waaaaaaagh Skagtrot (40k Orks) - In Progress
    Dinhar Whitestar's Dragon Host (H.E) - 2000 Points

+ Reply to Thread