"Bandits over the Castle Park River" - Aeronautica batrep - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

"Bandits over the Castle Park River" - Aeronautica batrep

Some of you may well have seen my Tau Air Cadre for Aeronautica Imperialis in the Painting Forum; for those of you who passed comment, thanks very much. There is no point of course in buying a load of models, building and painting them and then not playing with them, so last Saturday my friend John-George (JG takes less time to type) was invited to introduce me to the small world of Aeronautica battles.

The following is an account of our fun afternoon at our gaming club's venue: "Castle Park Halls" (hence the thread title!).

Game One

This game was "Bandits over the Karsundi River" (or "Castle Park River" in our case ). I was designated as the Defender, which meant that I deployed my 4 Cudas within 12" of the centre of the 6x4 table in two classic 'Red One/Red Two, Blue One/Blue Two' set-ups. The Chaos gang came on from a short table edge.

In this scenario the attackers get the initiative in Turn One, so JG zoomed forward into the attack - or at least tried to. He was however just out of range, thankfully. Hell Blades pack an awfully big punch at medium range! My Cudas' warning systems were working nicely and Red Section and Blue Section split off, one to the right and one to the left. The intention was to split the Chaos forces.

Turn Two onwards in this scenario requires the players to roll for Initiative, which then lasts throughout the turn. First we chose Manoeuvre Cards and I decided that I was *really* going to split his forces by keeping Red Section in formation while Blue Section split up. I was seriously trusting that dice roll to give me the initiative, because otherwise Blue Section could be in real trouble. However, I was rewarded with JG rolling a 1 while I rolled a 2 (*recalls wiping sweat off brow here*) which meant that if I could get into a firing position I could have a bit of fun. Barracudas are not called Air Superiority Fighters for nothing, you know.

The Hell Blades came screaming through on full forward thrust, with two of them peeling off towards Blue Leader while the other four raced towards Red Section, roaring past Blue Two. Two of these then performed a “Wing Over” manoeuvre which basically meant that they were facing the way they had come, leaving them with Blue Two’s afterburners glowing in front of them. The other two headed straight for Red Section.

I was now faced with 2 Hell Blades concentrating solely on Blue Leader, two more on Blue Two and the last 2 facing off against Red Section.

This could be interesting, I thought. Hell Blades are nasty at medium range but actually lose firepower when at close range, whereas Barracudas do the exact opposite. However - I had that all-important initiative and that meant I was going first in the shooting phase.

One of the Hell Blades had completely misjudged his use of thrust however and shot past Blue Leader, rendering the autocannons useless. This was good for Blue Leader!

Shooting commenced in earnest. The Barracudas have Ion Cannon, Missile Pods and Drone Burst Cannons and Blue Leader attempted to swat a Hell Blade with his Ion Cannon and Missile Pods. His efforts were in vain though, so he tried his luck with his Burst Cannons on a second Hell Blade. This weapon system has all-round capability but only short range, so the enemy needs to be close. Unfortunately for the Hell Blade which misjudged its thrust move, its position left it in range......One-Nil to Blue Leader.

As the shooting phase is done on a “you go – I go” basis, the Hell Blades were able to rack up a damage point against Red Section but this was not sufficient damage caused to knock down the aircraft. In return though, a second Hell Blade bit the dust.

Neither player having lost 50% of his airforce meant that Turn Three was about to happen. Manoeuvre Cards were chosen, again the Tau won the Initiative (I’m going to frame those dice) and battle was rejoined. With the Hell Blades being deemed as “Very High” manoeuvrability, they were able to turn on a sixpence (small old British coin for those who don’t know) whereas the Barracudas were a little less agile. However, both sides found themselves to be able to shoot at each other again.

JG’s dice were not being kind to him – again. Rolling a handful of dice for the shooting of a single Hell Blade netted a single hit, which became a damage point for the second aircraft in Red Section. That however was the sum total of the damage caused to the Air Cadre. They in turn showed the Chaos boys “how it is done” and splashed 3 Hellblades. That brought Red Leader’s tally to 3 and Red Two’s to 2.

Result: a win for the Tau, in a game which lasted 1hr 20 mins

Game Two.

For this game we chose “Straggler over Varestus Prime”. This involves the Defender using a Bomber and two Fighters, with the Attacker using the equivalent in points on his Fighters. The resulting airforces consisted of a Tigershark AX-1-0 and two Barracudas (Blue Section) facing off against 5 Hell Blades.

Certain restrictions applied to the AX-1-0 speed-wise, but the ‘Cudas were not so confined. The game objective was to get the AX-1-0 from one short table edge to the other – a mere 72” at roughly 7” a turn, with 12 turns.......yeah, no problem! – without it getting splashed.

Try moving a snail with hornets coming at you. It took two turns for the Hell Blades to reach the AX-1-0 and kill it!

I had zoomed the two ‘Cudas to left and right, hoping that JG might have decided to use a pincer attack. (Yeah, like, that’s soooo not going to happen, Eigle). My excuse also was that I planned to hit them on the way back like the Big Wings in the Battle of Britain did with the German bomber squadrons. After all, the AX-1-0 had a lot of hits (‘lives’) and it would survive, yeah?

Wrong. JG’s dice changed their minds about being uncooperative and he landed 3 hits on the unfortunate AX-1-0 in the first shooting phase, even though I had the initiative and got to shoot first. The Tigershark was the only thing in range to the enemy fliers, but its fire control systems must have been all shot up or something, because it couldn’t hit a barn door if it were standing beside one.

Oh dear. One hit left after Turn One; not good at all, and with the Thrust rules and the Wing Over Manoeuvre Card, those Hell Blades were going to be sticking around for the kill.

Turn Two: I am definitely framing these dice. Initiative again!! The Tigershark was splashed this turn as expected. Blue Leader had already beaten a retreat to more open skies in order to do a Wing Over and get back at the enemy and so was unable to participate in the shooting this turn, and Blue Two was hot on his heels.

Turn Three onward: And so began a game of cat and mouse, the slower Barracudas doing all they could to keep out of the front arc fire of the Hell Blades while retaining proximity in order to use their Burst Cannons which have the best Rate of Fire. Blue Two added to his previous tally by swatting a Hell Blade before making a complete error of judgment on manoeuvring his aircraft (ie I chose the wrong card. D’oh!!) and he was forced to disengage.

As this meant that I had lost >50% of my airforce, the game was over.

Result: Win for Chaos.

After-game thoughts.

This is a cracking game. I thoroughly enjoyed myself in the challenge of trying to think in three dimensional space, plus outwit my opponent, plus...plus...plus.

One or two things to say about AI:

1. I seriously need to know off by heart what those Manoeuvre Cards do! I also need to remember to read them carefully. Some of them require the player to act on the altitude and speed of his aircraft. For other cards it is an option whether you act upon them or not.

2. I need to be thinking waaay outside the box. Likening Aeronautica to a game of chess perhaps gives the wrong impression – it is not a boring game in any way for the players as they are so involved with the strategic and tactical decisions. As a spectator game I’m not sure; watching it if you want to learn how to play would certainly be helpful but you still have to plan your own manoeuvres etc.

Watching “Top Gun” might also be a good idea.......

3. Don’t try something “in the hope your opponent will fall for it”. They won’t, because the Manoeuvre Cards are chosen before any movement happens. It is pure unadulterated anticipation, unless you are playing a game like “Straggler” where it’s patently obvious where the enemy are going to go. Again though it’s a case of thinking ahead – “where do I want/need to be by Turn X?”

I guess it’s like every new strategy-based game – I’ll take a while to get the hang of it!

E.

Edit: Hmmm......next purchase......Manta......and I wouldn't need a shed to keep it in.....

"Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

How often have you made the mistake to move in for a perfect shot, just to realize that the enemy also get to move before the shooting phase..?
    Currently painting the Waaagh! of Warboss Borboss - Goff and Evil Sunz warband

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Only the number of times it happened in those two games so far!

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hehe, its an easy mistake to make ?!

Watcher, all the games of AI your squeezing in, you could easily be writing up great Batreps like this one !

Grats again eigle

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

596 (x8)

Thanks! Oh, and the Manta plus four more Barracudas have been purchased.....

Some addictions are terrible, aren't they? Especially ones which involve little models!

E.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    278 (x3)

Really enjoyed reading this mate. I'm just getting into epic, and I'm about to start buying some Imperial Navy for my IG. Once I have epic under my belt, AI is definitely the next step for me

+ Reply to Thread