Alternative Skill Advances - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternative Skill Advances

I'm sure you've all had those gang members who have gained a completely useless skill, like your Heavy carrying around a Heavy Bolter gaining the Gunfighter skill, or something like that.

I realize it's part of the game, but it's a bit annoying all the same. I've worked out a way to provide at least a chance of some control over which skills a character may gain. What is y'alls thought?

After selecting the list, roll 2D6 (instead of 1D6) and select from the two numbers. If doubles are rolled, then select from any skill on the list. If one of the numbers rolled is for a skill which has already been gained, re-roll that die until an available skill has been rolled.

What are your thoughts on this method? Thumbs up? Thumbs down? Do you have a better method to provide a little bit of control into the Skill-gaining process?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, i like the method you propose. We used to roll and if you got a duplicate skill, you could choose a skill from the list. Never once got Bulging Biceps for any Heavy lol.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TalismanOfVaul View Post
    Personally, i like the method you propose. We used to roll and if you got a duplicate skill, you could choose a skill from the list. Never once got Bulging Biceps for any Heavy lol.
    Yeah, we use the same rule.

Personally if one of my crew get a skill that's not relevant to their weapon, I change the weapon.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new/improved/beta skill charts sort of solve this problem. Stuff like Bulging Biceps got moved to a new "Heavy" skill list, so while there's still no guarantee that your heavy will get it, at least he'll get something useful and not some crappy muscle skill. As for gunfighter heavies ... why even roll on Shooting with a Heavy? The ONLY one that's even relevant is Crack Shot, as none of the rest even work with heavy weapons (and Crack Shot isn't even a particularly good skill).

If you use the new charts, the worst case scenario (that I've encountered at least) is that you wind up with a ganger that has Marksman and Gun Fighter, or Fast Shot and Rapid Fire. This does suck, but given how powerful shooting skills in general are (vs. Muscle, Close Combat, and Ferocity at least) I think the fact that your average Shooting ganger will have one or two less skills than a Muscle/Close Combat/Ferocity ganger actually kinda balances out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removed because the formatting failed.
    Last edited by machineghost; January 19th, 2010 at 06:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P.S. Shameless plug: Necroster includes support for all of the new skills :-)

P.P.S I tried to upload the new skill charts file, as it's kinda hard to find these days, but it was too big. So ... here's the heavy skills chart from that file to give you an idea of what I'm talking about (if the forum moderator can figure out a way to let me upload larger files, I'll happily submit the original PDF):

Heavy Skills
    1. Accuracy. The Heavy is especially skilled with blast weapons. Any weapon this fighter uses that has a blast template will only scatter half the distance indicated by the scatter die.

2. Armourer. The armourer checks all weapons being used by the gang before the battle starts. Any fighter in the gang may add +1 to any and all ammo rolls (including a roll to determine if a weapon explodes). A roll of 1 always fails regardless of the required result. This skill is cumulative for gangs with two armourers.

3. Bulging Biceps. Remains the same.

4. Long Shot. The heavy is skilled at making aimed shots from heavy weapons. If the fighter fires only a single shot from a heavy weapon, this shot will have a +1 to hit modifier. This skill may not be used with any weapons which use a template.

5. Monkey Grip. The heavy has a secure enough grip on his weapon to make use of it in hand-to-hand combat. He does not count as encumbered in hand-to-hand combat if carrying a heavy weapon and will use the heavy weapon as a club.

6. Walking Fire. A heavy with this skill may walk his sustained fire shots up to 6" instead of the normal 4" from the initial target. Shots walked in this way must still follow line of sight to the heavy and follow all other rules for sustained fire.

+ Reply to Thread